Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah the no invert thing is daft, it should be dealt with at an OS level anyway, or at least an option. 

Yeah, this should never, ever be an option in a game in 2020, and should be an OS level setting on all consoles and platforms.

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think Switch has OS level control preferences. Did anyone carry that over from the 360?

I’m not sure about Switch, there might be the option to swap buttons around, but I could be imagining it. 

5 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Yeah, this should never, ever be an option in a game in 2020, and should be an OS level setting on all consoles and platforms.

Needs an override though. Sometimes I prefer an invert if there is more uppy-downy-ness like flying. 

23 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Come to think of it, it’s only really Sunshine that has a controllable-with-stick camera, no? Mario 64 you bumpEd it around a wee bit with the C-buttons, which will be mapped to the right stick in this version I’m sure, but it’ll still be far from an analogue input. You never really feel the need to move the camera around constantly in 64, whereas Galaxy’s camera was automatic throughout, I’m sure?

yeap - and, after years of having my brain re-programmed (mainly by using the Wii) - when I went to play Sunshine on the cube a wee while ago I just couldn't cope with the camera.  Everything was just backwards.

It's weird - I used to invert *all the time* in FPS games then something flipped in my head and I can't play it that way anymore.

1 hour ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Can someone explain to me why it's such a point of contention that the games are emulated? I don't think I even really know what that means.

Not to bang the same drum, but if you've an hour spare, and you're curious about emulation vs ports/remasters give this video a watch.

Timestamped part for a "too long won't watch" summary.

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

I could've done that, but every game these days has an Invert axis option so I never bothered. I think Fall Guys is the only game I can think of this gen that didn't have an invert camera option at launch.

Thankfully I'm not COMPLETELY cack handed when I have to use non-inverted controls, but its not ideal.

Fucking GTA V still doesn’t let you invert the X-axis. Biggest selling game of whatever and they lack that option. Disgrace.

1 hour ago, Made of Ghosts said:

OK but who gives a shit if they play the same...?

Mario 64 is nearly twenty years old at this point so it's understandably got some rough edges and the camera system was designed before dual analogue sticks became the norm. It would have been nice if this update tweaked some aspects of the title to make it behave a bit more like a modern game. Based on what I've seen and read about this release it doesn't seem like that has happened. 

There is something very 2020 about the idea that Crash Bandicoot and Banjo Kazooie both got better ports to modern hardware than Mario 64. 

Poly gone have confirmed that galaxy’s manta ray and balance levels don’t use the stick, you have to use the gyro, so the full Wii experience of being forced to use shitty waggle is preserved.

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

Not to bang the same drum, but if you've an hour spare, and you're curious about emulation vs ports/remasters give this video a watch.

Timestamped part for a "too long won't watch" summary.

Can’t enthuse about this enough, the speaker is very easy to listen to and entertaining, and it’s actually changed my views on emulation and preservation. 

Annoyingly I did look up the date Mario 64 came out before posting that. I'll just put it down to subconsciously refusing to accept it's been nearly twenty five years as that means I'm five years closer to the grave. Cheers lads. 

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

Received an invoice notice from Shopto, don’t know if that means they’ve shipped or are about to, but, it’s on! 

edit. Checked my account and yes it’s shipped  today :omg:

They said on Facebook they weren't getting the stock until thursday too.

3 hours ago, bear said:

Mario 64 is nearly twenty years old at this point so it's understandably got some rough edges and the camera system was designed before dual analogue sticks became the norm. It would have been nice if this update tweaked some aspects of the title to make it behave a bit more like a modern game. Based on what I've seen and read about this release it doesn't seem like that has happened. 

There is something very 2020 about the idea that Crash Bandicoot and Banjo Kazooie both got better ports to modern hardware than Mario 64. 

You’re buying Mario 64 to play on the Switch. You’re not Mario 640000 or whatever. 

If I’ve a pending charge on my card for simply games does that mean there’s definitely stock and I’m getting a copy? Sorry for a delivery question taking up the main thread if this is inappropriate. Also... not long!!!

I’ll give that video a watch. The source of my confusion was that people were complaining about the reveal that the games were emulated, when we’d already seen the announcement trailer and knew the games weren’t going to have any real changes. So they were up in arms about something that made no difference to the player. 

Side note, I think Mario 64 holds up perfectly well these days and doesn’t need anything to make it more playable. 

I can only think that the reaction to emulation is based on price. Not so much that one emulated game costs X but that the second does too. Once you have the emulator why are the games ‘full price’. I guess if Nintendo sold an N64 emulator and sold each game for £5-10 on top then it people might not feel they’re repeated paying for the emulator itself again.

It doesn’t bother me personally. The price here seems good.

2 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

That argument would be based on the notion that a game's price should be somewhat proportional to the effort required to produce it. Like it's performing some basic service, rather than a creative work.

Oh agreed.

I think part of this is us understanding how to deal with older games becoming available on new hardware. I think some entitled individuals might consider them to have made their money from these games back on their original platforms and that ip this is essentially some simple gift to the world that should be really cheap.

The opposite is the Microsoft and Sony world where they’re pushing proper BC to varying degrees. Here my licence carries forwards (so long as they decide it does). So what’s the value of that licence 10 years later if I want to buy it? Same as at launch?

Anyway, as I said, I don’t really get it. Roll on Friday.

This actually makes me kind of nostalgic for the arguments about them making Super Mario Brothers 2, the least popular one, a £35 launch title for the GBA.

A tale of ports and ROMs, eternally retold.

My main problem with it being an emulated N64 game is that I’ve already paid them for that exact emulated N64 game before, maybe twice if it had an upgrade fee on Wii U. If it had been improved in any way it wouldn’t be as annoying to pay for it again.

3 minutes ago, Broker said:

My main problem with it being an emulated N64 game is that I’ve already paid them for that exact emulated N64 game before, maybe twice if it had an upgrade fee on Wii U. If it had been improved in any way it wouldn’t be as annoying to pay for it again.

You're in luck then, as it has been improved - it's higher res and has some new textures and effects to compliment that. It's not the 'exact' game.

From our man Scullion:

Speaking of detail, it isn’t just the polygonal elements of the game that get a sharper side. Nintendo has taken time to redo all the sprite-based elements, too, and it’s this move that’s probably the most noticeable upgrade. All the text is nice and smooth, the counters for the number of lives and stars you have are sharp, and even stuff like snow falling during the winter stages looks much better.

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine