Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine

Yeah the PC version of Mario 64 is going to be way better than the one on this collection. I don't understand why Nintendo didn't add widescreen support!

Also, from what I understand it's the newest japanese version of the game which means it's useless for speedrunners.

Still, look forward to sunshine and galaxy.

6 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Also, from what I understand it's the newest japanese version of the game which means it's useless for speedrunners.

Explain?

I think 64 is absolutely fine. Running in a higher resolution and updating the sprites is enough I reckon. If they improved the textures, they’d need to improve the models, and if they improve the models you have a full scale, 50 quid remake on your hands. Then it’s taking years and years to put out and you’re probably taking resources from the next Mario game.

11 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Yeah the PC version of Mario 64 is going to be way better than the one on this collection. I don't understand why Nintendo didn't add widescreen support!

Still, look forward to sunshine and galaxy.

Yeah the game was made with 4:3 in mind. I would not want 16:9. 

Also so fuck regarding speed runners. They would never use this version anyway 

1 minute ago, Paulando said:

Explain?

I think 64 is absolutely fine. Running in a higher resolution and updating the sprites is enough I reckon. If they improved the textures, they’d need to improve the models, and if they improve the models you have a full scale, 50 quid remake on your hands. Then it’s taking years and years to put out and you’re probably taking resources from the next Mario game.

From what I understand this version of Mario 64 is based of the shindou edition (rumblepack edition) that was released with a bunch of bug fixes. You can not backwards long jump and some of the glitches are fixed. NO ONE uses this version for speedrunning.

I recently replayed through Mario 64 on the PC at least 3 times - the higher resolution and widescreen are a MASSIVE difference.  The video shown of M64 in this pack doesn't seem to look as nice IMO.

The major thing is the controls - if you are walking are thin ledges/platforms it's a pain in the ass!

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yeah the game was made with 4:3 in mind. I would not want 16:9. 

Also so fuck regarding speed runners. They would never use this version anyway 

It runs amazingly well in widescreen. Like, it was made for it. Also, they made sunshine widescreen in this pack.

3 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

From what I understand this version of Mario 64 is based of the shindou edition (rumblepack edition) that was released with a bunch of bug fixes. You can not backwards long jump and some of the glitches are fixed.

Wait so they released a better version? Bastards.

1 minute ago, joffocakes said:

Surely speedrunners could just use this version as a separate game? That some of the bigger glitches have been patches only makes that more interesting and will result in fresh routes.

From what I understand it only fixed the BLJ , so that just means anything below 70 star speedruns will be not possible. I'm sure people will still speedrun the original game.

Also no more "so long gay bowser" as they changed it to "ba bye" :lol:

It's not a big deal really, it's only going to affect a small amount of players in the grand scheme of things.

1 minute ago, Darhkwing said:

Also no more "so long gay bowser" as they changed it to "ba bye" :lol:

My eldest was telling me the other day that this has already been retconned by the meme kids.

"So long, gay Bowser!"

"Actually, I'm bisexual."

"Bye bi!"

Life finds a way.

22 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Explain?

I don't know, I can't imagine the new tony hawk remake/remaster took as long as new AAA game to make but it totally looks like one.

I was worried they'd update the textures and geometry of Mario 64 and lose its original feel so I'm happy it's more of a resolution increase to the textures. Shame they couldn't add the wide-screen support though.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I don't know, I can't imagine the new tony hawk remake/remaster took as long as new AAA game to make but it totally looks like one.

Absolutely, a lot of love and effort went into the THPS Remaster. 

Consider the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, or Spiro... 3 remastered games in one package featuring modern graphics at a “budget” price.

8 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Absolutely, a lot of love and effort went into the THPS Remaster. 

Consider the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, or Spiro... 3 remastered games in one package featuring modern graphics at a “budget” price.

Yeah but don't you see, if you update the graphics on Mario 64 then the original version ceases to exist on any of the 20 previous platforms it was released on and it's not like we've seen remakes that include options to toggle between the two modes. So really, Nintendo doing the absolute least for the most amount of money is the only possible course of action they can take.

41 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Horrible image

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

Who knew Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park had so much to say about Mario 64?

You can't please everyone. Nintendo DEFINITELY can't please everyone. The long and short is if people didn't want to pay £49.99 for 3 of the best games (well, 2 and 1 that's only shit when compared to the other 2) they wouldn't. Do you think Crash and Spyro would have done the numbers they did at £49.99? Fucking doubt it.

Does this mean it shouldn't have been priced at £49.99? Probably. As many have said, the limited time thing almost certainly is as one package rather than 3 separate digital games it will be after the limited period. Wouldn't be a Nintendo release announcement without some egregiously vague information we're all second guessing.

TBH it feels strange defending Nintendo on this because I was never a Nintendo kid. I have no attachment to 64 or Sunshine. I want Galaxy again because getting the Wii out of whatever corner of the loft it's in is more hassle than just buying it again. But Nintendo games, even in their most half-baked remastered form,  are still so much better than most games you play it's not even funny.

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine