Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

If true this will be the most incredible compilation ever.

They're not going to be a compilation. Individual releases, most likely. 

I’ve played the other plenty, so, weirdly, Sunshine is the one I’m most looking forward to. I haven’t played it since it first came out on the Cube.

I really do hope it’s a compilation though, and they call it Super Mario All Stars 2.

I can’t wait for 3D World without the dual screens, Galaxy without motion controls and Sunshine without analogue triggers :seanr:

Every one of these games was built around the capabilities of its host system. Just because you can now run it at a higher resolution, doesn’t mean it’s going to be better. 

Who said it would be better? The fact I'll be able to play them without digging out old consoles is enough.

Also Galaxy's motion control integration was negligible. I can't remember Mario World 3D's second screen functionality. I'll give you the triggers mind.

From what I recall you occasionally press blocks or platforms in 3D world. Or blew against the microphone to make things spin. I don’t think there was anything fundamental there. Similarly with galaxy, the waggle and pointy stuff didn’t feel like it was built to fit the system, it was extra stuff just tacked on once the game was there. 

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I can’t wait for 3D World without the dual screens, Galaxy without motion controls and Sunshine without analogue triggers :seanr:

Every one of these games was built around the capabilities of its host system. Just because you can now run it at a higher resolution, doesn’t mean it’s going to be better. 

I've played 3D world with the pro controller and it was brilliant. I've played Galaxy 1 with a 360 controller on Dolphin and it was brilliant - Galaxy 1 barely makes any noteworthy use of motion controls. It's certainly not what makes the game so good. 

Sunshine, I'll give you. But I also played that one on Dolphin and it's more than doable. It's not really analogue at all, those triggers simply have two settings: halfway is button 1, all the way is button 2. True, mapping those functions to separate buttons is less satisfying but it's perfectly playable.

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

From what I recall you occasionally press blocks or platforms in 3D world. Or blew against the microphone to make things spin. I don’t think there was anything fundamental there. Similarly with galaxy, the waggle and pointy stuff didn’t feel like it was built to fit the system, it was extra stuff just tacked on once the game was there. 

It meant an adult could let younger kids play and make the levels easier for them as they went.   At least that's how we used it occasionally.

Still happy to see them on the Switch.

3 minutes ago, carleton said:

I used the pointer in Galaxy quite a lot to collect the star bits and shoot some enemies. It probably wasn't essential but feels like I'll miss it.

You could use the joycons in the same way, to be fair. Granted that's only in docked mode, but it wouldn't be an issue then. 

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The one I’d look forward more than any is Mario 64, it’s getting on for 25 years old and has never received a remaster. Just imagine a lovely cleaned up version at 1080p 60 running in the Odyssey engine :wub:

I haven't played it since the N64 days, I wonder how it will hold up. In my mind it's still up there with Galaxy, but at this point I'm comparing how I remember feeling playing through 64 back then to actually playing Galaxy. In my mind it's still brilliant, but you never know.

55 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve played the other plenty, so, weirdly, Sunshine is the one I’m most looking forward to. I haven’t played it since it first came out on the Cube.

I really do hope it’s a compilation though, and they call it Super Mario All Stars 2.

Man that would be a sick name. And worthy of a full price tag.

Can't wait for all of these, especially as I've never played the Galaxies which are meant to be some of the best Marios of all time.

Surprised it took this long, as there have been HD versions of Mario Galaxy for the Chinese Nvidia Shield market for quite some time.

53 minutes ago, Omizzay said:

Hope Mario 64 looks something like this:

See, I’d rather they took their time and gave each game this treatment, releasing them separately if they have to, than chucking them all on a cart with an emulator.

At least Super Mario Galaxy and 3D World wouldn’t need much extra polish at all. A ground-up remake of Super Mario 64 would be lovely: it deserves that, really.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I haven't played it since the N64 days, I wonder how it will hold up. In my mind it's still up there with Galaxy, but at this point I'm comparing how I remember feeling playing through 64 back then to actually playing Galaxy. In my mind it's still brilliant, but you never know.

I played it again when it was on the Wii eshop which was [gulp] thirteen years ago :o I remember it was still as amazing as when I first played it on N64.

But ever since the reimagined castle level in Odyssey I’ve been longing for the whole game done like that. 

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

I was gonna sell my Switch once we’re allowed out.

Would be madness to do So if HD that lot are on the way.

Madness either way - sell your Switch :hmm:

7 minutes ago, Paulando said:

See, I’d rather they took their time and gave each game this treatment, releasing them separately if they have to, than chucking them all on a cart with an emulator.

I think it's really only Mario 64 and Sunshine that need this treatment. The Galaxy games still looks great now.

The video posted above is mostly how I'd want a remake, but done with the Oddysey engine as Marios handling is perfect in them.

Mario 64 really is a small game, so I don't see why they couldn't do this. The levels are not exactly massively detailed as it is.  The DS version had some good ideas but i'd prefer that to be used as some form of second quest if they were thinking about porting that version.

Also, Mario 64 really hasn't help up that well imo..  the controls are what kills it for me nowadays.

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - patch adds invert options and GC pad support in Sunshine