Super Mario 3D All-Stars - latest: no more happy Bowser!!

Got 120 stars in Super Mario 64 for the first time. Great game but some of those later stars are a bit of a nightmare. I don't understand the mechanics of the wing cap well which didn't help for the 8 red coins on that last secret level.

Sunshine seems to be pretty divisive so will be interesting to see what I think of it. By the sounds of people's opinions it's frustrating so Ill probably pass on going for all the shines. We shall see.

6 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Started on Sunshine last night. After all the comments in here I was worried that I was remembering it with rose-tinted spectacles, and I was going to hate it.  

My initial impression was just how much nicer it looked than Mario 64, and what a leap forward it felt like.  Spent a good few hours on it, and loved every minute.  Only up to about 10 shines, but all my happy memories of playing it first time around came floodFLUDDing back.

Not even touched Galaxy yet.

FTFY

Well I'm only 5 shines in to sunshine and the vertical axis not being inverted is causing me all sorts of bother. I'm trying to get used to the new mechanics of the fludd while wrestling with the camera and it's not a good combination.:unsure: I'm considering moving onto Galaxy in the hope that there will be a patch to add in the option.

4 hours ago, amc said:

I really want to push on with Sunshine but even after a few shines my dumb fucking fingers still mess up the camera. Hoping my brain gets into gear soon as it's such a beautiful game.

I’ve found the only thing that works for me in SMS is confidence. As soon as I hesitate, I’m inevitably side-flipping to my death. 

12 hours ago, bear said:

I'm 45 stars into Mario 64 and I'm hitting more points where the camera is being a pain in the arse.

So I downloaded Banjo Kazooie for the Xbox to see if I was just misremembering things about the camera being generally alright in that version of the game. I think @CarloOos mentioned that he hadn't played Banjo before it came out on the 360 but he enjoyed that version of the game. I was in the same boat, never played Banjo on the N64 but beat it on the 360. 

Anyway, I played through Mumbos Mountain and a bit of Treasure Trove Cove and it was fine. I didn't have any issues with the camera and it just behaved the way you'd expect a "modern" (the 360 versions a decade old)game to behave. I doubt I'll play much more of it as its already a game I finished so its not on my to-do list while geting 120 stars in Mario 64 still is. I just wanted to check if they managed to put a decent camera into an N64 platformer and they had. The UI is comically big compared to most games though. Your lifebar thing is ginormous. 

I'm sure this'll bring out the oh you never even made a game, how dare you criticize the devs as lazy brigade but thats not what I'm doing. I've done enough work in boring software development to know that laziness is rarely the issue, its resources. Considering this collection was nailed on to sell millions of copies, and quite possibly already has, its a bugger that the people responsible for bringing each game to the Switch weren't given the time, money and manpower to make them the best versions they could be. Lesser games, like Banjo Kazooie, have gotten better updates than one of the most important games ever made. Thats disappointing. 

Not sure you can fix Mario 64's camera without other fundamental changes. Lakitu is a physical object in the game world. The camera works well when you have wide open spaces and time to adjust. It fails when you are in tight enclosed spaces where there is nowhere for Lakitu to go. I think some sections would need rethought - probably to fixed angles or reorganised in order to a oid those problems. Banjo had the advantage of going after it. Mario 64 is the first proper camera system in a game, its remarkable how well it holds up more than anything. 

The history of 3D Mario is the history of Nintendo struggling to deal with how hard is to get precision platforming in 3D space:

Mario 64: invented camera system, completely modified Mario's moveset because jumping on goombas is hard

Sunshine: FLUDD is there to give you more hang time to line up jumps, essentially 

Galaxy: The entire design is to allow more fixed camera angles and the camera to freely float around little planetoids. Only place Galaxy's camera for me so far isn't perfect is on bigger Galaxy's 

Odyessy: Cappy gives you more options, including recovery options when platforming, stages are nice and wide open to allow the camera room and avoid occlusion, and the camera and platforming has been designed hand in hand, so you get fixed angles at sections that have been designed out. 

2 hours ago, jamesy said:

Well I'm only 5 shines in to sunshine and the vertical axis not being inverted is causing me all sorts of bother. I'm trying to get used to the new mechanics of the fludd while wrestling with the camera and it's not a good combination.:unsure: I'm considering moving onto Galaxy in the hope that there will be a patch to add in the option.

Still struggling with the lack of invert on the FLUDD standing aim. I can about manage the camera, but getting FLUDD to shoot where I want takes so much concentration. 

Galaxy's camera is worse than I remember on the wider levels. On the linear levels it's fine but when the levels open out it's this annoying hybrid of fixed and controllable which often becomes fixed just when you want it to be controllable and leaves you running blindly towards the camera.

I don't remember having any problems with Odyssey's camera so I guess they finally perfected it in the end. Also noticeable how old-fashioned the lives system feels after Odyssey. Why do your lives reset to 5 if you quit the game? They know it's a problem because they literally just get Peach to send you a letter with 5 one-ups every time you start the game. So then why not just start you off with 10 one-ups? Can't quite fathom their thinking on that.

17 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

Fucking hell, the section in Sunshine behind the Ferris wheel with the platforms that rotate when you shoot them must have the single worst example of a camera in a major video game.

That bit is the first thing that comes to mind whenever I think of Mario Sunshine :( 

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - latest: no more happy Bowser!!