Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)

Playing each game reminds me how much I enjoy the 3D Mario games when each stage has a focused goal but you can find other stars / shines on the way. Odyssey which I thought was fine but nothing amazing is a boring collect-a-thon in comparison. 

1 hour ago, BabelRich said:

Got to admit I’m struggling with the camera in 64 after having 20 years of improvements seared in to my brain but damn it’s still one of the GOATS. 

Don't forget they've actually swapped around the left and right buttons for the camera control in Mario 64 this time.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Playing each game reminds me how much I enjoy the 3D Mario games when each stage has a focused goal but you can find other stars / shines on the way. Odyssey which I thought was fine but nothing amazing is a boring collect-a-thon in comparison. 

Odyssey is fucking amazing, the hat(trick) move alone is genius, Mario has never been more mobile. The whole game is an absolute joy. 

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Odyssey is fucking amazing, the hat(trick) move alone is genius, Mario has never been more mobile. The whole game is an absolute joy. 

The controls of Mario are fine and I did see credits in Odyssey, I just lost interest searching for moons after I hit 250. Switching between the games in this trilogy is a joy because you can pick a world, look at the title or what the intro flythrough shows you an be on your way whereas Odyssey is return to exactly the same start point in an unchanged world and then look for markers on the map or pay Toad to tell you where you have to look which gets boring after a few hundred moons. 

Back on topic, I can understand needing the touch screen to select worlds in Galaxy but requiring you to use the motion controls for the manta ray is complete bullshit. 

This turned up in the post yesterday at 5PM. Five! In the PM! Our postie did not eat their Weetabix that morning, it seems.

It's been lovely showing the kids what 3D Mario was like before Odyssey. After running through the first levels in each I handed the controller over for them to have a go. It's nice to see that even at a young age, they are immediately able to transfer the skills they've learnt to the older titles.

Sunshine I've never played before, and know very little about. These cutscenes are like something out of 90s MTV, with strangely-proportioned characters running around in unsettling pre-rendered video. The dialogue reminds me of Banjo Kazooie, not in a bad way, but this doesn't feel a lot like a Nintendo game so far.

The controls in Sunshine are a lot worse than I remember - I think I played it before I ever really clicked with 64. Now, with all those years of hindsight and Galaxy/Odyssey experience, its striking just what an outlier it is. 

I mean - no crouch? No long jump? Where’s the inertia, the joy of movement?

More incredible how Nintendo really nailed the landing first time and just finessed it in later games - to their great credit. 

I am clearly rubbish at real platforming games, as it took me about five attempts to clear the ice slide and then about the same again to beat the giant penguin.

The best bit was when I was winning the race, but failed to line myself up properly for the final straight, bounced off the wall next to the door leading to the finish line and plunged to my doom. The other moment of unintentional hilarity was falling off the slide off at exactly the same place as Dave Perry on my first attempt. I wish I had never seen that damn Gamesmaster clip now. :o

Still, it's great fun and I'm enjoying it a great deal for a 24 year old game. 

5 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

I thought it in 2007 and, having played a bit of it last night, I believe that Galaxy is, quite possibly, the greatest game ever; a truly timeless piece of work. It’s a bit of an unfair comparison given that it arrived over a decade into the 3D-era, but there’s nothing in it that ages it or makes you think “people wouldn’t be having this if it came out today”. 

From the visuals to the soundtrack to the level design to the way it controls, it could launch tomorrow and I doubt a person ignorant of Mario would peg it as a 13 year old game. Genius.

It is astonishing to think only 10 years separate Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

The controls of Mario are fine and I did see credits in Odyssey, I just lost interest searching for moons after I hit 250. Switching between the games in this trilogy is a joy because you can pick a world, look at the title or what the intro flythrough shows you an be on your way whereas Odyssey is return to exactly the same start point in an unchanged world and then look for markers on the map or pay Toad to tell you where you have to look which gets boring after a few hundred moons. 

Back on topic, I can understand needing the touch screen to select worlds in Galaxy but requiring you to use the motion controls for the manta ray is complete bullshit. 

Yeah I think everyone has their cutoff point in Odyssey, I never got every moon, but I fully enjoyed my time with it - I never felt like I had to do anything, it was always because I wanted to. 

For anyone who gets there and can’t figure it out, press the right stick in in Sunshine to look around. 

I’m so happy to be back in Noki Bay, it’s my favourite level by far and I’m really happy playing it :) 

3 hours ago, Paulando said:

I strongly disagree with this :)

Super Mario Odyssey isn’t a collectathon - it rewards experimentation, exploration, and using Mario’s move set to climb to high or difficult to reach places, with moons. It’s peppered with optional challenges and puzzles, which are also rewarded with moons, and encourages you to try things you wouldn’t normally. I love all of the games in this pack, and the Mario series is my favourite of all time, but Super Mario Odyssey is the best of them all in my eyes. It’s an absolute triumph.

Absolutely agree. 

So, I’ve finished SM64 numerous times. I got an N64 & the game for my 18th birthday, and 120 Starred all 4 save slots. 

...I never knew you could do the trip move till now! ZL & Y (or Z & B on the original) 

:blink:

2 hours ago, Popo said:

The controls in Sunshine are a lot worse than I remember - I think I played it before I ever really clicked with 64. Now, with all those years of hindsight and Galaxy/Odyssey experience, its striking just what an outlier it is. 

I mean - no crouch? No long jump? Where’s the inertia, the joy of movement?

More incredible how Nintendo really nailed the landing first time and just finessed it in later games - to their great credit. 

I'm still convinced that Super Mario Sunshine was a third party game that Nintendo quietly bought up during development and reskinned as a Mario game. It's too weirdly un-Mario in places. At least as far as I can remember from the GameCube original.

I'm disappointed from the sounds of things that Nintendo didn't 'fix' Super Mario Sunshine for this compilation, to be honest.

7 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

I thought it in 2007 and, having played a bit of it last night, I believe that Galaxy is, quite possibly, the greatest game ever; a truly timeless piece of work. It’s a bit of an unfair comparison given that it arrived over a decade into the 3D-era, but there’s nothing in it that ages it or makes you think “people wouldn’t be having this if it came out today”. 

From the visuals to the soundtrack to the level design to the way it controls, it could launch tomorrow and I doubt a person ignorant of Mario would peg it as a 13 year old game. Genius.

Agree completely. Gaming work of art. Think this is quite possibly the best game I have ever played. And I've played a few :)

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I'm still convinced that Super Mario Sunshine was a third party game that Nintendo quietly bought up during development and reskinned as a Mario game. It's too weirdly un-Mario in places. At least as far as I can remember from the GameCube original.

I'm disappointed from the sounds of things that Nintendo didn't 'fix' Super Mario Sunshine for this compilation, to be honest.

Early versions were even more wierd.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Could be a re-skin. GameCube was struggling at the time, everyone wanted a Mario 64 sequel and maybe they thought it might give it a boost.

I think their developers just weren’t up to much at the start of the GameCube generation. After all it’s pretty much the only Nintendo console where the first party games aren’t the best on the system. They also outsourced many of their, at the time, key franchises to outside developers like Metroid and F Zero. 

As someone who had 4 save slots with 120 stars each on the N64 Mario 64 and all 242 stars in Galaxy, me losing 5 lives in a row on the first run to Bowser in the Dark World shows how rusty I am. Or how old I am now. 

The idea that Sunshine isn’t a Miyamoto game is absolutely ridiculous. It feels fantastic to move in it, and it not having the exact same moves they always fall back on is exactly why it’s obvious it was developed by Nintendo, it’s an experimental game. Not everything works, but the camera problems are no worse than 64, where you’re constantly switching between one of two shit options that never let you easily move in the cardinal direction you’re aiming for. It’s clearly built around the controller it originally came with as well, another Nintendo staple. It’s no worse than any other game from the early era of 3D camera control, and playing it on the Switch it’s far more enjoyable than the half gimped waggle fest of Galaxy, which I’m really disappointed they didn’t properly fix and allow to be played with real controls. 

The reason sunshine feels odd is because it was rushed. At the time nintendo changed focus to try and release games on time to help gamecube sales. They abandoned the idea of polishing something to the nth degree to met a release date. After sunshine and Wind waker they changed back. Sunshine had a very short development time for a Mario game (18 months reportidly)

Just think though. During one E3 show they had playable demos of Sunshine (which ran at 60fps), Zelda and Metroid Prime. What a fucking line up.

Sunshine has it's issues but it has enough moments and looked so good (the water effects, the sunshine ) that I cannot hate it. I still think they put the water pack in because the open worlds they created were difficult to navigate and making a mistake could send you so far back that it was an easy way to save yourself if you made a mistake. Sunshine arrived a year before the Sands of Time and this was Nintendo's solution to easing some of the difficulty in 3D platformers. 

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)