Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)

1 minute ago, dave7g said:

Ah man, and it looks so great on the switch light too,. 

Its not all upside down of course, and there's lots of regular 3D/2D platforming, but there's plenty of long jumping around little planets with the camera swinging around. Maybe you'll get used to it? 

Picked this up earlier, having never really played any of them before.  I thought I’d bought Mario 64 on the DS but having just done the first Bob-omb bit it all felt new to me so perhaps I didn’t.  Anyway, first impressions are that it’s pretty tricky to control!  I imagine that’s because I’m use to dual stick controls from modern games, and not being able to freely move the camera around with the right stick takes some getting used to.  I’m looking forward to spending some proper time with it later to see what the fuss is all about :)

Just had a quick go of Sunshine and it looks glorious. My muscle memory keeps trying to tap the L button as I’m running around though, to start a long jump/hat throw combo like in Super Mario Odyssey :lol:

11 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Yep. We didn't even have progressive scan back in those days.

Speak for yourself peasant. I played all my GameCube games in lovely p on a CRT monitor. 

This is great. Emulated or not, remastered or not, these games should be a part of any Switch owners’ collection. My youngest son has only played Odyssey before so he’s in for some great gaming moments this autumn.

All stars (sans 100 coin one) completed in Bomb-omb Field this morning before work in Mario 64. Lovely stuff.

There are some real camera annoyances in this game (not new, just how it was) and controlling its button behaviour with a stick feels a little odd.

I hope when the inevitable stream of 20 quid GameCube re-releases come our way they do release GameCube joycons that slide onto the console, with the same button placement, shitty C-stick nipple and those glorious analogue triggers. Perhaps that’s why they haven’t updated the button icons in Super Mario Sunshine?

24 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Hey just wondering - while docked, should galaxy be played with a joycon in each hand?

I've a pro controller too.

You can use JCs but Pro also has gyro 'pointer' function for collecting stars, etc. Feels a bit weird but maybe muscle memory. 

It's good enough but less satisfying than the glorious nunchuk and Wiimote combo. 

2 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I hope when the inevitable stream of 20 quid GameCube re-releases come our way they do release GameCube joycons that slide onto the console, with the same button placement, shitty C-stick nipple and those glorious analogue triggers. Perhaps that’s why they haven’t updated the button icons in Super Mario Sunshine?

They could have added support for GameCube controllers already if they wanted.

8 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Not sure whether to go for that currys offer or see if sainsburys (voucher to use up) has any in.

Not that I’d condone such behaviour, but if you get a Sainsbo copy then sell the sealed Currys one on ebay, you’ll get your money back even after fees and postage. There’s plenty of sold BiN listings between £55 and £60

Should have pre ordered this. Had Odyssey since launch and although I had a nice hour or two with it I let my eye wonder and left it alone. Been on a massive Switch bender of late and picked up Odyssey again. Totally clicked and have been breezing through it. What a wonderful game and a reminder why I love Nintendo above all other developers.

Anyway, got that Mario itch. Hopefully I'll source a copy. I'm off to try at least.

If you're digitally minded, and for this title why not, I find the Nintendo game vouchers to work out fairly cost effective. I think per voucher for two games it is £84 which brings each digital game down to £42.

7 minutes ago, amc said:

Should have pre ordered this. Had Odyssey since launch and although I had a nice hour or two with it I let my eye wonder and left it alone. Been on a massive Switch bender of late and picked up Odyssey again. Totally clicked and have been breezing through it. What a wonderful game and a reminder why I love Nintendo above all other developers.

Anyway, got that Mario itch. Hopefully I'll source a copy. I'm off to try at least.

Amazon have it in it seems.

6 minutes ago, McCoy said:

If you're digitally minded, and for this title why not, I find the Nintendo game vouchers to work out fairly cost effective. I think per voucher for two games it is £84 which brings each digital game down to £42.

Any danger of ninty being able to remove it from your account for whatever reason?  Or is it a case of once it's on the system it's there?

5 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Pro controller and Galaxy makes me sad :(

Not a good match? I would have hoped Nintendo put some clever work into making it fit. I know it probably plays decent with the Joycons but I literally haven't used anything but the Pro controller since I got the machine. I don't really dig the small sticks on the Joycons and leave them permanently on the Switch, which is docked 95% of the time.

It does play nice with the Joycons though doesn't it?

15 minutes ago, McCoy said:

And get cheap credit (CDKeys/ElectronicFirst/etc.) to pay for the vouchers and you'll knock the price down further!

55 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Looking for a physical copy it seems Currys have stock. £44.99 then add code “FNDDGAME” for 20% off.

Hopefully they actually DO have it and I’ll pick it up later today.

Ok, cool. I finally buckled. £39.99 for a bunch of games I’ve played a million times each isn’t so bad I guess :facepalm: 

HHHHNNNNNGGGGG!

It's so bloody beautiful. I'm seemingly now terrible at Sunshine, my girlfriend was giggling at my attempts to just jump onto a rope, when I used to practically speedrun such things. Yet to step back into Galaxy, but first runs in 64 and Sunshine make me almost weep with delight.

4 hours ago, Marlew said:

Its not all upside down of course, and there's lots of regular 3D/2D platforming, but there's plenty of long jumping around little planets with the camera swinging around. Maybe you'll get used to it? 

Yeah, I didn't like Galaxy on original launch because of this.

So actually it's what I'm going to play first.  If I like it near enough 15 years later than I've just bought an entirely new Mario game for full price, no issue there.

If I don't then I've got a collection of 64 (a game I long since said would be the 2nd best on the system if ported) and Sunshine which I was always quite fond of, although I can absolutely see why others aren't.

I can't lose here.

Currys indeed had stock, now to try Galaxy on a Lite and see how it plays...

On a different subject, is there a thread on here about game sharing? We have 3 Switches in the house and I’d like to give my daughters access to some of the games I bought digitally. If anyone has a link or fancies helping me through PM I’d appreciate it. (I did try Google but got a bit confused).

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)