Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)

3 hours ago, Professor Puzzles said:

You will probably be able to sell it at CEX for megabucks, or flog it on ebay for gigacash, given it is a Nintendo limited edition. 

Yeah

image.png.7387cf5f6c4fd1259a1d2ef78116b8cc.png

You'd probably clear sale price on ebay and I bet that cex price goes up before it goes down.

Looks like I double-dipped, after mistakenly ordering digital on the Nintendo store. I did cancel immediately, but I just turned my Switch on to see it downloading. Think that means I'll need to keep it, which isn't exactly the biggest problem facing the world today, but I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on prices for the physical copy!

3 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

How cheaply did folk manage to order a physical version, just so I can piss myself off for talking myself out of pre-ordering when the going was good? :facepalm:

£42.85 but tbh I’d have paid £50 if necessary as it’s a limited release and I definitely wanted to get hold of a physical copy. 

30 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Just read that the game doesn't allow you to invert the y-axis.

Why do they keep doing this?  It's such a simple option to add.

It really annoyed me that they took away the option to invert with LM3. The controls aren't great to begin with nevermind making it even harder for me.

Why have they gone out of their way to remove this. It's infuriating.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Can someone explain to me why it's such a point of contention that the games are emulated? I don't think I even really know what that means.

The implication is it's much easier to emulate games than to build them from the ground up as remakes/remasters. Usually by people who've never developed an engine, emulator or game in their life.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I spent a year breaking my self of inverted controls. Best gaming decision of my life. 

I could've done that, but every game these days has an Invert axis option so I never bothered. I think Fall Guys is the only game I can think of this gen that didn't have an invert camera option at launch.

Thankfully I'm not COMPLETELY cack handed when I have to use non-inverted controls, but its not ideal.

1 minute ago, Gambit said:

I could've done that, but every game these days has an Invert axis option so I never bothered. I think Fall Guys is the only game I can think of this gen that didn't have an invert camera option at launch.

Thankfully I'm not COMPLETELY cack handed when I have to use non-inverted controls, but its not ideal.

I felt the same until motion controls on splatoon /Zelda.  I wanted inverted stick but not inverted waggle and that got too much. Had to change one, so went with stick. 

16 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Not being able to invert the Y axis is seriously going to hamper my enjoyment of this game.

Fucks sake Nintendo.

Come to think of it, it’s only really Sunshine that has a controllable-with-stick camera, no? Mario 64 you bumpEd it around a wee bit with the C-buttons, which will be mapped to the right stick in this version I’m sure, but it’ll still be far from an analogue input. You never really feel the need to move the camera around constantly in 64, whereas Galaxy’s camera was automatic throughout, I’m sure?

5 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I think Nintendo could have done more.  Little things like no widescreen in Mario64 and no option to Invert Y make little sense.

I wonder if there’s a technical reason given that they’ve upped the resolution to 720p and cleaned up the graphics & text, seems odd that they’d do it for Sunshine and not Mario 64, unless, like I say, there are reasons why. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I wonder if there’s a technical reason given that they’ve upped the resolution to 720p and cleaned up the graphics & text, seems odd that they’d do it for Sunshine and not Mario 64, unless, like I say, there are reasons why. 

Yeah it seems really odd to me, I can't think of any good reason.

I can accept there may be a good reason that we can't see for the wide screen obsession, but the Y-Axis inversion omission option is not really acceptable.

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I can imagine there might be bits to do with the level design where they didn't want you to see certain things from certain positions, and widescreen makes that possible, which sort of spoils some bits of the game design / level design.

But, that's pretty weak to be honest.  I can't think of anything obvious that would be hampered by seeing more than originally anticipated by the designers, and I know that people have said it looks great in widescreen on emulators.

Maybe there's just one puzzle somewhere that looks bad, so they kept it in 4:3 for that reason.

But, knowing Nintendo, you never know.

• Upvote 2

Maybe it’s easier to have the game render new assets that delve in to the code and change a hard-coded camera direction than an optional one.

Make the fact that certain hard things were done and others weren’t is because not everything you’d want to do to a game nearing 20 years old is equally difficult.

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah the no invert thing is daft, it should be dealt with at an OS level anyway, or at least an option. 

I don’t think Switch has OS level control preferences. Did anyone carry that over from the 360?

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)