Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

And there in lies the problem, Nintendo are castigated by their fans for selling them the same bare bones ports over and over, but at the drop of a hat the same fans will list all the games they’d happily pay top dollar for, again (and again). I include myself in this equation, but I suppose if they didn’t make such great games in the first place it wouldn’t happen. 

I find it really weird to be honest.

Personally I'd be happy with the original games as is. The way they were made warts and all because you are getting the full experience of the game again. Its optimised to run the same way (if not smoother framerates) on the new hardware that is all.

If you want a update of the game and the collection is not for you just don't buy and play it. If enough people did this they would get it and not release it again like this. But people buy it anyway. Enough said. :D

I'm just playing them again on my Wii have all the games on disk but they are installed on a memory stick. So get the digital experience but using the right controllers :) Did I still say I'm enjoying my modded Wii a few times?! :D

NOTE : You can get a Wii, HDMI converter for less than the price of this collection. Mod it for emulation and then knock yourself out with all manner of retro games. And play with the proper controllers. Just saying. :)

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, deerokus said:

Not if you already own them. Let's assume a lot of people already own at least one of these three games. 

I'm not sure how I would put the GC or Wii disks in to the Switch even if Nintendo did decide to let me play those on the emulator for free.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

I'm not sure how I would put the GC or Wii disks in to the Switch even if Nintendo did decide to let me play those on the emulator for free.

Also most people don't have the space for all the old consoles or a pc to run dolphin. This is convenient as fuck. I'll take that.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Can SMG be played handheld? If so I reckon it’ll be tilt and shake to activate things which might be a pest. SMG2 wouldn’t have been feasible in handheld

Yeah, you can use touch screen for the pointer bits too.

(sorry already answered :doh:)

Having only briefly attempted Sunshine on an emulator I'm looking forward to a quality port from Nintendo (wait, wut?)! 

Seriously though, I'll play through it if they've tweaked it for the pro controller, and same with SMG. If i'm expected to use waggle for SMG I'll be disappointed, but I went for the physical copy so I'll get some cash back after playing. That's the great thing with Nintendo carts, they seem to hold some value.

45 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Yeah, fuck Nintendo. I’m going to buy a second hand NTSC GameCube and Super Mario Sunshine (480p support) with a HDMI mod, a Wii with Super Mario Galaxy and several packs of batteries, locate an NTSC N64 and NTSC Super Mario 64 with a non-fucked-up controller, and run them through an HD upscaler into my TV.

That'll show em.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Yeah, fuck Nintendo. I’m going to buy a second hand NTSC GameCube and Super Mario Sunshine (480p support) with a HDMI mod, a Wii with Super Mario Galaxy and several packs of batteries, locate an NTSC N64 and NTSC Super Mario 64 with a non-fucked-up controller, and run them through an HD upscaler into my TV.

You forgot - locate a PVM monitor (which are mostly located around the London area) and drive it miles back to your house, which is what I did. 

I guess your comment was sarcastic? I've done all the things above and I agree! This is a great and super convenient release that I instantly pre-ordered, despite having access to a really good retro set up. 

• Upvote 2

Don’t forget the step down transformer. 

Nope. I already have a Wii. :D I have already bought the games once. I have lots of rechargeable batteries. I don't have a Switch.

Your point? If you want a nice little toy to play with that will still play all the games and others you can buy a second hand Wii for as little as £20 these days. And mod it under an hour. The Wii plays Gamecube games natively BTW so you don't need to buy a GC as well. Not if you buy the correct Wii of course (flap opens on the top to reveal GC pad and memory card ports).

Their are options that is all I'm saying. 

For convenience though though the Switch ports are a great option and for people who have never experienced the games before (guessing a lot of new Switch owners)

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I feel like this conversation has entered a Nolaneaque maze of nested ironies.

:D

Anyhow just want to say ENJOY SOME MARIO.... however you want to play... great games and a whole bunch of fun! 

• Upvote 2

When you already own the games, I don't think any option short of full backwards compatibility is immune to criticism.

They're just emulations or untouched up ports? Why should I have to pay full price for the games I already have? They're remastered versions with some QOL improvements? But they were already great! Why should I have to pay full price for widescreen? They're full remakes? Why aren't you making new games instead of pandering to nostalgia?

And on it goes.

• Upvote 4

I'm really excited because my wife stopped playing Nintendo games after the SNES and has never played a 3D platformer before. She plays the Switch fairly regularly and is never going to be the sort of person that bothers with stuff like an OSSC, so now she's going to be able to start back where I did with Mario 64.

• Upvote 1

I will surely end up cracking and buying this on Friday.

If I were sensible then I'd buy the cart and sell it on once I've played through them all again. However, that would mean the game would not get played as the (first world) hassle of taking the AC cart out and inserting this one whenever I want to play Mario 64 would be too much so digital it is. If they still do those two for £84 deals I'll be happy enough with the price for the three games.

I think those who were hoping for something more out of this - or a bit of a lower price at least - do have a valid position, or at least their feelings are understandable. Some of us would have got all these, re-bought Mario 64 on other Nintendo e-shops since, and some may still have the Wii plugged in on some occasions. My old Wii can still play GameCube games (I know some versions can’t.)

I think The Wind Waker HD on the Wii U was how to do a re-release; it is true to the original and nothing dramatic has changed, but it was beautifully refreshed and cleared up some issues the first release had. I think at least Sunshine needs this...

• Upvote 2

All I’m saying is that if Nintendo want to release emulated N64, Wii, and GameCube games on the Switch in 1080p with the choice of playing in handheld mode or on my TV, I’ll happily throw money their way.

Luigi’s Mansion pls.

• Upvote 1

I changed my region to Russian, bought two vouchers and pre-ordered the two Mario games. Paid around £75, which is good. Unfortunately I can't change my region back with a pre-order active so my eShop is stuck in Russian until Super Mario 3D World comes out.

doh.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2
1 minute ago, Super Craig said:

I changed my region to Russian, bought two vouchers and pre-ordered the two Mario games. Paid around £75, which is good. Unfortunately I can't change my region back with a pre-order active so my eShop is stuck in Russian until Super Mario 3D World comes out.

doh.gif

You can cancel the pre-order unless it’s within 7 days of release (or something like that). I just cancelled, switched back to U.K. and will order the day before. The vouchers are visible on your U.K. account too.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Paulando said:

You can cancel the pre-order unless it’s within 7 days of release (or something like that). I just cancelled, switched back to U.K. and will order the day before. The vouchers are visible on your U.K. account too.

Cheers. I'll try that once Allstars is out. Means that I can use the second voucher for Hyrule Warriors as well.

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)