Jump to content

Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)


Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Don't excuse this. Sure it makes sense for them in a purely cynical cheap and nasty kind of way but if it was EA or 2k you'd be taking the piss.

 

If it's so cost effective then charging what they're charging is an obscene rip off. Especially coming after Activision (!) showed them how to do this properly in with the brilliant THPS 1+2 and other recent remaster type releases. 

I don’t quite know how these things work, but presumably Nintendo have built the emulator and then tweaked the presentation/performance to suit, does it matter? I mean if they were each built from the ground up in a new engine to look exactly the same as the originals would that be better? 
 

I paid £42.85 which works out just over £14 a piece, is that ‘an obscene rip off’? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The emulation news is a bit disappointing because unfortunately it seems like Nintendo haven't gone in and taken the rough edges off the games in certain areas. 

 

I wasn't expecting a full on Spyro-esque remake of 64 but I thought something on the level of the 360 port of Banjo Kazooie wasn't unreasonable. Based on what I what I'm seeing online I don't think that bar has been reached. Which is a bummer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it’ll be a shame if sunshine didn’t get a few fixes here and there. For the most part sunshine is great but there is a handful of stars that need huge QOL improvements, mainly by moving the camera to a set position or changing its position. Blue stars, the leaf you ride to the final boss and a few other things ain’t great but you can live with those for the most part.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me a great deal of the problem with this release simply comes from the price and what I get in return for it.

 

To be clear, I'll probably buy the package all together. And i'm very much in favor for preserving the original experience over a full remake. But this 35th anniversary stands in a bit of a contrast to the 25th anniversary release in 2010. Back then we got a re-release of Super Mario All-Stars on disk for €25. Sure, it was a cheapo romdump, but it some nice little extras thrown in. Like the soundtrack selection on CD and nice little booklet talking about the history of Super Mario. It was a release that felt worth it.

 

It was also helped by the fact that Nintendo had a very stellar holiday line-up back then, both first and third party games were in plentifull supply.

 

By comparison, we get to pay €60 for this and just get a regular Switch box, no booklet, no soundtrack on CD. Instead it's all dumped on the cart. And before the announcement of Age of Calimity it seriously looked like Nintendo's entire holiday line-up was this, Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Cadence of Hyrule on cart. The games are still great obviously, but this release definately comes across as Nintendo's most blatant money grab in recent memory.

 

If they seriously wanted to sell this for full price, it would have worked greatly in their favour to have added in new versions of Super Mario 64 DS  and Galaxy 2 as well. Add in a soundtrack selection, a nice booklet and good packaging. I don't need full remakes for these games personally, but you can at least compensate for asking way more then last time. Cheap bastards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Basically, folk are under the impression that a developer using emulation takes as much effort as the end user downloading an emulator and a ROM.

Yeah and I’d agree apart from that, obviously, they needed to make the emulator - but I accept it’s not as much effort as a remaster. 
 

On the subject of value, whenever Nintendo have done remasters before they’ve charged more for them individually, apart from, ironically, the original Mario Allstars (as far as I know anyway) so I think as a value proposition what you’re getting for your money is pretty good -  I’d much rather play these in their original unaltered state than say Spyro or whatever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mario Sunshine works brilliantly with Dolphin on the Nvidia Shield. Galaxy was also remade to work with the Chinese Shield a couple of years back so may have just been a matter of changing the text to local to get it going on the switch.

 

Mario 64 looks a bit odd in Mupen on the Shield so maybe they have used some other emulator for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah and I’d agree apart from that, obviously, they needed to make the emulator - but I accept it’s not as much effort as a remaster. 
 

On the subject of value, whenever Nintendo have done remasters before they’ve charged more for them individually, apart from, ironically, the original Mario Allstars (as far as I know anyway) so I think as a value proposition what you’re getting for your money is pretty good -  I’d much rather play these in their original unaltered state than say Spyro or whatever. 

 

Someone on the outside can't say for sure about what happened here, but under normal circumstances, coding an emulator would definitely require more work than a port.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

 

Someone on the outside can't say for sure about what happened here, but under normal circumstances, coding an emulator would definitely require more work than a port.

Yeah, I mean I wouldn’t know, but I imagine it must. 
 

Roll on Fri so we can play them :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

For me a great deal of the problem with this release simply comes from the price and what I get in return for it.

 

To be clear, I'll probably buy the package all together. And i'm very much in favor for preserving the original experience over a full remake. But this 35th anniversary stands in a bit of a contrast to the 25th anniversary release in 2010. Back then we got a re-release of Super Mario All-Stars on disk for €25. Sure, it was a cheapo romdump, but it some nice little extras thrown in. Like the soundtrack selection on CD and nice little booklet talking about the history of Super Mario. It was a release that felt worth it.

 

It was also helped by the fact that Nintendo had a very stellar holiday line-up back then, both first and third party games were in plentifull supply.

 

By comparison, we get to pay €60 for this and just get a regular Switch box, no booklet, no soundtrack on CD. Instead it's all dumped on the cart. And before the announcement of Age of Calimity it seriously looked like Nintendo's entire holiday line-up was this, Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Cadence of Hyrule on cart. The games are still great obviously, but this release definately comes across as Nintendo's most blatant money grab in recent memory.

 

If they seriously wanted to sell this for full price, it would have worked greatly in their favour to have added in new versions of Super Mario 64 DS  and Galaxy 2 as well. Add in a soundtrack selection, a nice booklet and good packaging. I don't need full remakes for these games personally, but you can at least compensate for asking way more then last time. Cheap bastards.


25th anniversary was extremely lazy. Dump a rom of an old SNES game on a CD. Throwing a bit of tat on top doesn’t cut it. 
 

And Mario 64 DS was an abomination. 
 

I don’t know what anyone would want from this. Galaxy 2 of course. But other than that it’s what you’d want. I think people are hoping for each version being fully remastered which is a hell of a lot of work and would never be released in a single package. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I don’t quite know how these things work, but presumably Nintendo have built the emulator and then tweaked the presentation/performance to suit, does it matter? I mean if they were each built from the ground up in a new engine to look exactly the same as the originals would that be better? 
 

I paid £42.85 which works out just over £14 a piece, is that ‘an obscene rip off’? 

No, make them look better and in certain areas play better (Sunshine needs a lot of work to be more fun) . Include the untouched originals via emulation if you want. 

 

Yes it is. Activision can make games of a similar age or older that feel identical but play even better than they did in the day and look like modern big budget games and will charge you a similar amount. Or you can do this and charge like 20 quid for the package. 

 

I'll probably buy 3D world mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, deerokus said:

No, make them look better and in certain areas play better (Sunshine needs a lot of work to be more fun) . Include the untouched originals via emulation if you want. 

 

Yes it is. Activision can make games of a similar age or older that feel identical but play even better than they did in the day and look like modern big budget games and will charge you a similar amount. Or you can do this and charge like 20 quid for the package. 

 

I'll probably buy 3D world mind. 

Horses for courses, I’m happy to be getting them how they are with a higher res & stabilised performance, and I appreciate that not everyone feels they offer good value, but for me personally they do, I know I’ll get my money’s worth from them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And there in lies the problem, Nintendo are castigated by their fans for selling them the same bare bones ports over and over, but at the drop of a hat the same fans will list all the games they’d happily pay top dollar for, again (and again). I include myself in this equation, but I suppose if they didn’t make such great games in the first place it wouldn’t happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see ShopTo are sold out, but amazon and Game are still taking preorders. 
 

Anywhere else selling the physical edition at the £43 mark, rather than £50? Need to put this by for son’s xmas present. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

I see ShopTo are sold out, but amazon and Game are still taking preorders. 
 

Anywhere else selling the physical edition at the £43 mark, rather than £50? Need to put this by for son’s xmas present. 

 

I'd just stump up for it, man. Those kind of prices for Nintendo things don't hang around and everywhere is 50 now it seems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Emulators take some investment, but Nintendo have various emulators they've used on the Wii and Wii U, and for the Chinese Shield release. They will simply have targeted them against the Switch, then tuned it. There'll be some more work to Switch assets on the fly. Non trivial, but let's not pretend they are burning huge teams on it. 

 

MS did a lot of similar sort of work with Xbox and 360 games on the Xbox One, then gave it away free for BC or included it in a subscription service. 

 

This is barebones. Nintendo get away with it because the content is so good. But I'd have liked some QoL improvements if I wasn't getting a full remake at least and Sunshine has a few notable bugs thay might not be fixed. I don't care if it funding an emulator so they can sell me more games I've already paid for multiple times*. Nintendo do this everytime they are on top and only slightly screwed Nintendo actually make an effort. Sunshine is worth a Wind Waker style proper remake. 

 

*Except F-Zero GX obviously 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Uh, Microsoft don’t give away all those games that run on the Xbox 360 emulator, kensei. They make an enormous amount of money selling them.

Not if you already own them. Let's assume a lot of people already own at least one of these three games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, deerokus said:

No, make them look better and in certain areas play better (Sunshine needs a lot of work to be more fun) . Include the untouched originals via emulation if you want. 

 

Yes it is. Activision can make games of a similar age or older that feel identical but play even better than they did in the day and look like modern big budget games and will charge you a similar amount. Or you can do this and charge like 20 quid for the package. 

 

I'll probably buy 3D world mind. 


It’s a shame that Activision can’t make sequels to the games they are having to remaster because they want cash moneys - it’s pretty funny to be complaining that Nintendo (who made some Mario game about a hat) aren’t putting any effort into their old re releases and that’s bad but be fine with Activision who killed those games after 3 with utter shite releases that’s led to the desperate remakes to get interest back into the series....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.