Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

You can't please everyone. Nintendo DEFINITELY can't please everyone. The long and short is if people didn't want to pay £49.99 for 3 of the best games (well, 2 and 1 that's only shit when compared to the other 2) they wouldn't. Do you think Crash and Spyro would have done the numbers they did at £49.99? Fucking doubt it.

Does this mean it shouldn't have been priced at £49.99? Probably. As many have said, the limited time thing almost certainly is as one package rather than 3 separate digital games it will be after the limited period. Wouldn't be a Nintendo release announcement without some egregiously vague information we're all second guessing.

Nintendo protect the value of their games. Spyro and Crash were disposable products and swiftly discounted to Platinum pricing levels and bundled free with consoles when they came out originally which means no one was going to buy them full price separately when they were remastered. I can't think of a single PlayStation remaster that was full price for a single game. Whereas Nintendo will keep charging as much as they can get away with because they can, the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remakes were both full price and don't even reduce the price of old games, New Super Mario Bros 2 is still full price 8 years after it came out. The generosity of the free Zelda Collection on GameCube shows just how desperate they were at that time. 

On 07/09/2020 at 22:05, Bojangle said:

Nintendo can't win in this situation. If they decided to do a full on Bluepoint style remake of 64, first it wouldn't be coming out next week, it'd be a couple of years away at least (Nintendo have no games lol!), then people would be complaining that it's full price for just a remake of 64?! Why not include more?! I mean, Activision included 3 Spyro games. So this should at least be a remake of 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1 and 2. AT LEAST. Then people would be moaning they'd spent resources on rehashing Mario 64 instead of making a new Mario game!

I mean, it is what it is. You're getting ports of 2 of the best 3D platformers ever made (and one arguably great 3D platformer) for the price of one game. Would it have been nice if all three had the remaster treatment? Sure. But they don't, no amount of pissing and moaning will change that. Just don't buy it! (but you all will)

Perhaps they'll wait until everybody bbuys this, before March 31st next year.  Then later in the year they'll release it again, this time including Mario Galaxy 2.

On 07/09/2020 at 14:05, Bojangle said:

Nintendo can't win in this situation. If they decided to do a full on Bluepoint style remake of 64, first it wouldn't be coming out next week, it'd be a couple of years away at least (Nintendo have no games lol!)

Well, no, because they could have commissioned it 2 years ago as they knew this anniversary was coming up.

3 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Well, no, because they could have commissioned it 2 years ago as they knew this anniversary was coming up.

It’s not that simple, even if they did there would still be a good six months taken out of that schedule and Nintendo aren’t normally ones to release stuff in a less than extremely polished state, for all we know it could have been done but not tested, for example, who knows. 

On 06/09/2020 at 17:52, Sarlaccfood said:

Maybe I’m off my rocker but I’m not really a fan of re-designed visuals. Stuff like Twin Snakes and the SNES Mario Allstars just loses something for me. I much prefer the original look cleaned up a bit for modern displays.

Yeah, I can think of very few remakes where I've been impressed by the visual overhaul. SOTC, for example - it might have been more responsive, with a better frame-rate, but it definitely lost some of the original's magic. I've not been keen on what we've seen of the new Demon's Souls, either. Ironically, Throwback Galaxy shows how it should be done. 

7 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Yeah, I can think of very few remakes where I've been impressed by the visual overhaul. SOTC, for example - it might have been more responsive, with a better frame-rate, but it definitely lost some of the original's magic. I've not been keen on what we've seen of the new Demon's Souls, either. Ironically, Throwback Galaxy shows how it should be done. 

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap. The old style is classic but the redone visuals were very tasteful and wonderful. Probably the exception that proves the rule, mind.

Just now, moosegrinder said:

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap. The old style is classic but the redone visuals were very tasteful and wonderful. Probably the exception that proves the rule, mind.

Yep, good shout. Not the same thing, but I liked Streets of Rage 4, too (though I wonder if I'd have felt the same had it been a remake of any of the originals). 

19 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2

29 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Whatever happened to all the teams making 3DS games?

You would think there would be a lot more games coming out since they stopped supporting that system.

They are all working on Virtual Boy 2 titles...

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

Whatever happened to all the teams making 3DS games?

You would think there would be a lot more games coming out since they stopped supporting that system.

Alas, some of them have closed down like Alpha Dream and I think Skip as well. There's also just simply the fact that development for an HD title takes quite a bit longer then development for a 3DS title. It's why we still haven't seen Monster Hunter for Switch despite the 3DS having had 2 entries by now.

3 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Alas, some of them have closed down like Alpha Dream and I think Skip as well. There's also just simply the fact that development for an HD title takes quite a bit longer then development for a 3DS title. It's why we still haven't seen Monster Hunter for Switch despite the 3DS having had 2 entries by now.

Monster Hunter on the Switch came out two years ago, and there's a new one supposedly in the works: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/new-monster-hunter-game-for-nintendo-switch-will-be-revealed-soon-its-claimed/

Aye, but the one that came out a few years ago was an up-port of Generations Ultimate which came out for the 3DS first in Japan. The new one is supposed to be actually built from the ground up for the Switch.

EDIT: On another note: GameXplain just threw up a video saying you can now spin with Y in Galaxy.

On 07/09/2020 at 21:29, Paulando said:

45867829-1A9E-43B4-A95C-8D77B123C4B6.gif.1a0e5856d761afc214babe6552d59c85.gif

Confused by this conversatiom thread. We already have an idea about what redone 64 graphics might look like? 

I'd have preferred a refresh. There are about a half dozen games I wish I could delete from my brain and do again and Mario 64 is one of them. Think a remaster would be a tiny sliver of that. Being able to see it with new eyes. 

Not that enthused about going through 64 again unchanged. Not least because 64 games never feel quite right in other pads. Particularly without an octal gate. 

“Nintendo are so lazy and this Mario collection is just a bunch of ports, it’s so low effort” I say bitterly as I pre-order it at full price. 

Damn Nintendo, if anyone else could make games half as good as yours your business practices would be unacceptable. But instead I was still considering buying this when I thought I wouldn’t be able to play Galaxy, purely to have Sunshine without needing to connect my GameCube via VGA. 

• Mr. Gerbik changed the title to Super Mario 3D All-Stars - FEEL THE SUNSHINE LOVE (now in HD)