rllmuk
Mr. Gerbik

Super Mario 3D All-Stars and 3D World coming to Switch - with BIG BUTS (please understand)

On 31/03/2020 at 08:53, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've played 3D world with the pro controller and it was brilliant. I've played Galaxy 1 with a 360 controller on Dolphin and it was brilliant - Galaxy 1 barely makes any noteworthy use of motion controls. It's certainly not what makes the game so good. 

Sunshine, I'll give you. But I also played that one on Dolphin and it's more than doable. It's not really analogue at all, those triggers simply have two settings: halfway is button 1, all the way is button 2. True, mapping those functions to separate buttons is less satisfying but it's perfectly playable.

Do you not have one of those awesome MayFlash Dolphin Bars? Seems completely wrong to me being lucky enough to have the ability to play the Galaxy games in 4K, looking amazing and everything, and then not using an actual Wii controller to play them.  Making do with an Xbox pad.

7 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Do you not have one of those awesome MayFlash Dolphin Bars? Seems completely wrong to me being lucky enough to have the ability to play the Galaxy games in 4K, looking amazing and everything, and then not using an actual Wii controller to play them.  Making do with an Xbox pad.

Oh I totally get you, and it's awesome that Dolphin allows for that. For me the point was playing with a normal controller, a personal preference - the wiimote is not ergonomical for me and really hurts my wrists. And I personally don't like motion controls at all. The 360 controller was a solution to my personal problem. So I'm double excited for Galaxy 1 and 2, first because I look forward to playing those brilliant games again in polished up form, and second because I'll be able to use the pro controller. Win-win for me.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Oh I totally get you, and it's awesome that Dolphin allows for that. For me the point was playing with a normal controller, a personal preference - the wiimote is not ergonomical for me and really hurts my wrists. And I personally don't like motion controls at all. The 360 controller was a solution to my personal problem. So I'm double excited for Galaxy 1 and 2, first because I look forward to playing those brilliant games again in polished up form, and second because I'll be able to use the pro controller. Win-win for me.

Oh right I understand. Sorry, I hadn't really considered a pad may be a preference for those reasons. That is indeed ace that you got to enjoy them because of Dolphin.  Nintendo will inevitably get the pro controller working as well as they possibly can.  The games do need minimal polishing up though generally. 

All of those things are in Odyssey anyway. Thankfully. 2020 is bad enough without shitty Sunshine being brought back. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I want negs back now because somebody nearly made me believe it was real. NOW.  

I was against negs but then I saw Paulando's cruel cruel bump, and now I want negs back yesterday.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, deerokus said:

All of those things are in Odyssey anyway. Thankfully. 2020 is bad enough without shitty Sunshine being brought back. 

I played through Sunshine recently in HD in an emulator, and you know what? It's nowhere near as bad as we remember it! In fact, it's pretty fun. There are a handful of substandard bits and one or two set pieces towards the end that are outright crap, but overall a fun game to go back to and reassess.

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

Super Mario Sunshine HD confirmed??

It wasn’t when they posted the same tweet a few weeks ago.

This thread getting bumped feels like those email chains where someone @'s the entire company by accident and people keep responding "please remove me" or "EVERYONE STOP REPLYING".

• Upvote 7

I do NOT give Facebook or ANY entities associated with Facebook permission to use my pictures, information, messages or posts, both past, present and/or future. With this status statement, I am informing the relevant legal team at Faceook that I do NOT consent to... 

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

People complained about GameCube sequels like Sunshine and Wave Race being marginally worse than their N64 predecessors but they were nonetheless still solid gold. The Triforce fetch quest in Wind Waker was worse than the best bits of OoT! CONDEMN

Sunshine remains excellent. 

I agree somewhat although in Sunshine’s case it was an enjoyable but hugely flawed game, surprisingly buggy for a Nintendo release and awfully dull and tedious in parts. It’s definitely their worst 3D Mario. I wouldn’t buy it as a stand-alone HD release but it happily reply it as part of the much rumoured Mario Allstars 2.

I hadn't played any of the N64 Zelda games before I played The Wind Waker. I still thought that the pacing fell off a cliff at the Triforce quest. A shame, because I thought it was great up until that point. Mario Sunshine was pretty similar actually. The hotel level killed my interest in it for ages.

• Upvote 1

I loved Sunshine, Blue Storm and Windwaker. 

I’m playing Sunshine on and off at the moment. I reckon it’s the hardest 3D Mario too!

Sunshine really does just need a definitive remake, it easily could be the best 3D Mario with a few bits changed, same thing with Wind Waker actually.

Some of the weaker bits in Sunshine could be tweaked for a massive jump up in quality, but the hotel level is unsalvageable imo. I don't see how you can make it good, except scrapping it completely.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Some of the weaker bits in Sunshine could be tweaked for a massive jump up in quality, but the hotel level is unsalvageable imo. I don't see how you can make it good, except scrapping it completely.

I can’t even remember it, what was the issue with it?

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I thought it was quite novel, really. There wasn’t much platforming to be had, but it was quite a departure from what had come before. It was like a modern update of the Super Mario World ghost houses.

What sticks out for me is the goddamn watermelon shine, and the shine involving Yoshi riding on a boat. Y’know, the Yoshi that disappears when it touches water?

I’ve got to say, Delfino Plaza is a wonderful hub area, with incredible music. I’ve spent hours spraying water and sliding around that place.

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

I can’t even remember it, what was the issue with it?

4 hours ago, Paulando said:

I thought it was quite novel, really. There wasn’t much platforming to be had, but it was quite a departure from what had come before. It was like a modern update of the Super Mario World ghost houses.

Have you replayed it recently? If so, fair enough. But in my recent playthrough most of the game had aged magnificently well, except for that part. Outside the hotel the shadowy manta ray effect isn't that impressive anymore which puts the focus on the fiddly jumping around in a flat, uninteresting area.

Inside the Hotel it's way too small for any camera in 3D environment to keep up. It's either freaking out or needlessly confusing you while you do the fetch quests. Maybe if they pulled the camera way back so you could see the entire floor from a fixed viewpoint, but only reveal the room you're in? That could maybe work. But otherwise you're left with a real low point for anyone coming at it from a modern perspective.

4 hours ago, Paulando said:

What sticks out for me is the goddamn watermelon shine, and the shine involving Yoshi riding on a boat. Y’know, the Yoshi that disappears when it touches water?

I remember having trouble with those on the original way back when also! But playing it with a 360 controller, it wasn't an issue at all somehow. Maybe a better analog stick helps? If anything my gaming skills have gotten worse over the years, so that's not it. 

Regardless in those two examples it's easy to tweak the difficulty if needs be. And also with the balloon shooting rollercoaster level, which was still by far the most difficult shine in the entire game. But less so with the Hotel bit, as it's not the difficulty that lets it down but the boring, uninteresting area outside and the frustrating camera in the cramped rooms inside.

I love Mario Sunshine, but I did play it before I’d ever tried 64. I genuinely think it’s an excellent game, and the few bad shines are no worse than sone of the rubbish ones in 64. I’d happily pay full price for a HD remake of Sunshine, just hearing the music makes me smile.

• Upvote 1

The thing I remember most about Sunshine was how unfriendly it was compared to some other games of the time. Stuff like retaining the lives system and throwing you out of levels if you died just felt like added busy work and timewasting when compared to the Sony platformers of the time. The whole Nintendo polish thing just wasn't there. 

There was one blooper race in particular that fucked me right off simply because doing it was a pain in the ass. You had to load the level, go to the entrance of the blooper race, load that area, talk to the guy running the race and then attempt the race. If you failed you got thrown back to the hub world and lost a life. Fail enough and you get to watch a game over cutscene before continuing to play. In something like Jak & Daxter,  you could just restart the race, no big deal. 

If they re-release Sunshine I hope they make it behave like a modern game. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Broker said:

I love Mario Sunshine, but I did play it before I’d ever tried 64. I genuinely think it’s an excellent game, and the few bad shines are no worse than sone of the rubbish ones in 64. I’d happily pay full price for a HD remake of Sunshine, just hearing the music makes me smile.

The water effects haven't aged a bit. The bright and sunny environments are still lovely - and a breath of fresh air tbh, moreso than when it was new. Playing in an emulator in HD with AA makes it look gorgeous because the art style is timeless. If they implement some QOL features, like better restarts/checkpoints and less brutal fail states where needed, a lot of people will be surprised how well it holds up.

Get rid of the hotel level though :P