rllmuk

Super Mario 3D All-Stars and 3D World coming to Switch - with BIG BUTS (please understand)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guess I'll need to make some space 

This forum has collectively bought Resident Evil 4 in high res about 170 million times, but 3 Mario games in one HD collection is a problem?

Enjoying these, again!  

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I think it's really only Mario 64 and Sunshine that need this treatment. The Galaxy games still looks great now.

I've played through Sunshine start to finish on Dolphin in 1080p with some advanced AA and AF liberally applied two years ago and you'd be surprised how good it looks. It really doesn't need a remake in terms of looks, GameCube was surprisingly powerful and, most importantly, the art direction from Nintendo is utterly sublime.

Edit: the low res CGI cutscenes make your eyes bleed however :lol: Everything that's realtime looks gorgeous. The water effects haven't aged a day, no matter your opinion on the game itself.

• Upvote 2

They should definitely do the full remake treatment on Mario 64 rather than an up-rez, since it's been on the eShop before and also because it's the first 3D one. It's the big one. It deserves it.

Really looking forward to Sunshine... again, maybe they could clean that up a bit. The camera in that hotel level, man... aaaargh.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Really looking forward to Sunshine... again, maybe they could clean that up a bit. The camera in that hotel level, man... aaaargh.

Yeah, that I agree with. The graphics are still gorgeous but what needs fixing is the camera, certain frustrating challenges, and a few crappy areas towards the end. Can't see that happening, but you never know.

• Upvote 1

64 really needs major control changes to work with modern sticks. What worked for the 64 stick feels too fiddly in the VC version, and it’s an awkward mess of adjusting your position by fractional amounts every two seconds, which really diminishes the fun and makes the later levels an absolute chore. The VC version was so disappointing I dug the N64 out to check and it’s still fucking perfect on there.

I’d be sad to play Sunshine without the analogue buttons. They really need to release joycons with them on so that they can port other GameCube games.

On the other hand I’d LOVE to play the galaxy games without the broken motion crap. Every time I play galaxy again I get to the point where tilting the fucking controller to steer the manta ray gets a bit tough and then give up.

It’s insane that 3D World isn’t on there already given how much of their strategy has been to just port Wii U games.

64 just needs a Virtua Racing-style update - crisp polygons and frame rate but otherwise unadulterated. I'm not sure I'd want anything else - yes, the original Mario All Stars redid Marios 1-3 but nowadays would you want Super Mario World updated with, say, the New SMB style? Course not!

Mario Sunshine still has the best water since Waverace. That will look lovely in HD.

• Upvote 2

Maybe they will do an MCC style update where you can switch (no pun intended) from original to updated, if the system can handle running both.

Anyway, love all these games, will definitely be investing in this.

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

See, I’d rather they took their time and gave each game this treatment, releasing them separately if they have to, than chucking them all on a cart with an emulator.

At least Super Mario Galaxy and 3D World wouldn’t need much extra polish at all. A ground-up remake of Super Mario 64 would be lovely: it deserves that, really.

3D World would probably look better than Odyssey with just a resolution boost (arguably looks better as is). The environments are much smaller and the lighting is superb.

Galaxy could probably give it a run for its money, too.

4 minutes ago, Chooch said:

It’d be a great time to release these right now. When is the 35th birthday anyway?

Sounds like this was due to be revealed at E3 so I wouldn’t expect anything before June. I bet they spread it all out after that too.

Side note: I wonder if this was supposed to be their “main” E3 thing this year instead of something along the lines of BOTW2 or MP4?

As a massive Nintendo fan, who somehow skipped the main series Mario games during Gamecube and Wii, I'm very much looking forward to playing Sunshine and Galaxy 1 & 2.

Of course, I've played them all in small parts, but they seemed to be released when I was either on a gaming break, or heavily into playing something else.

64... I hope they get it right this time, the DS version was utterly disappointing (Mini games aside).

If they are doing a proper remake / or at least some re-texturing / modelling for upscaling, presumably this could lead to some sort of Mario Maker 3D too?

conversely...

I presume with the Mario Maker assets, they could simply apply a different style (or allow selectable styles) for SMB and SMW...

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

The one I’d look forward more than any is Mario 64, it’s getting on for 25 years old and has never received a remaster. Just imagine a lovely cleaned up version at 1080p 60 running in the Odyssey engine :wub:

1080p and no pop in would be perfect. My most anticipated of the bunch

• Upvote 1

I played a teeny bit of Galaxy and nothing of its sequel (as I ditched my Wii early on) so these would be an insta buy for me.

3d World is great. First game I truly got my daughter into so very fond memories of that one plus its stacked with levels and secrets, just how a Mario game should be.

Whether it’s in the form of a compilation or just as separate releases, this sounds great. I’m looking forward to listening to the Super Mario Sunshine soundtrack again—arguably the best one in the Mario series.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

So this news was probably for Nintendos E3 direct? I know they hold their own timetable with annoucements but seems pretty big just to put out at random.

It’s still just a rumour/leak. 

I think it was for the direct that we had earlier that majored on Xenoblade but word on the street was that a major part of that video was cut out at the last minute.

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

I think it was for the direct that we had earlier that majored on Xenoblade but word on the street was that a major part of that video was cut out at the last minute.

Makes sense. 

Maybe due to covid delays I would imagine. 

There was a Paper Mario announcement as well apparently. Much more excited about that, as it's supposed to be a old-school Paper Mario. But I'd really like to play Sunshine again as well.

I really don't know what I'd like from a Super Mario 64 remaster. I guess (more than) doubling its frame rate to 60fps is a given but I don't know if I'd really want much done to its look beyond upping the resolution and cleaning up some rough edges. Maybe I'd change my mind when it looks a bit barren on a modern TV rather than the fuzzy glow of a 14" CRT.

It's still my favourite Mario game overall for how satisfying it is to control. There's a good heft to his momentum and running in tight little circles, diving, flipping is a joy even on flat terrain. Mario Odyssey came close but Mario 64 set a real high bar.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Mario 64 set a real high bar.

For him to jump over?

Crap puns aside.  Would get Sunshine, galaxy 1 and 2 (never played 2, and didn't do too much of 1) and never played 3d world.

• Upvote 1