Nier Replicant ver. 1.22474487139 PS4/XBONE/STEAM

Zero9X

35 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I finally brought myself to do it again and got back to where I was in an hour. 

Did you hit it near the desert? Without getting more specific. Minor early game stuff that you’ll have seen if you’ve played enough to lose any time. 

Hide contents

When you fight that lizard thing in the weird town with Kaine. Just before as you enter, I don’t think you can use the save thing if you try. Every subsequent attempt to save after that fails. When I redid it I didn’t bother trying to save there and it’s been okay. 

I’m completely guessing here, but I thought it was odd it wouldn’t let me when I tried the first time (probably because the fight was about to start) and it was from then on that they failed. 

No, it was much much muuuuuuch later

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

No, it was much much muuuuuuch later

Ooh something to look forward to then. Was it perhaps after a similar moment? Using a save box that wasn’t meant to be used at that time?

16 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Ooh something to look forward to then. Was it perhaps after a similar moment? Using a save box that wasn’t meant to be used at that time?

Ah yes, that could be it. It was an area I'd been to earlier and since I had done a bunch of sidequests on the way there, I was desperate for a save - so I took a detour during a story bit to where I knew I could find a save point. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ah yes, that could be it. It was an area I'd been to earlier and since I had done a bunch of sidequests on the way there, I was desperate for a save - so I took a detour during a story bit to where I knew I could find a save point. 

That’s my only hunch and I could be wrong. I’m making sure they have a letter floating into their gobs before I use them now. 

Obviously it’s fucked either way, but if that’s the case it can at least be worked around. 

I’m also trying not to do too much between saves. 

• 2 months later...

I really want to like this but… the game is losing me story wise with impromptu emotional beats and side questing that would make WoW blush. I now need ten Pink Moonseeds. Couldn’t find anything about how to get them and ultimately googled it…

Spoiler

😒 Two days of real-time waiting… per batch… 

It’s a bit of a shame as it’s pretty close to Automata, but it’s also very clear that Automata is a focused evolution of Replicant. At this point it’s the combat and soundtrack pulling me through as I walk to Facade for the umpteenth time.  

4 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I really want to like this but… the game is losing me story wise with impromptu emotional beats and side questing that would make WoW blush. I now need ten Pink Moonseeds. Couldn’t find anything about how to get them and ultimately googled it…

Hide contents

😒 Two days of real-time waiting… per batch… 

It’s a bit of a shame as it’s pretty close to Automata, but it’s also very clear that Automata is a focused evolution of Replicant. At this point it’s the combat and soundtrack pulling me through as I walk to Facade for the umpteenth time.  

I had a similar experience. I love Automata and I was very excited for this but eventually the endless back and forth between a handful of relatively small but mostly empty areas became too much. I played another game in-between and haven't managed to go back yet. I still want to at some point because I like Automata so much.

If I recall correctly, I got past the part where

Spoiler

The practically naked lady got stoned and eventually we saved her. Can't remember how far I got after that, when trying to think back it's hard to distinguish between all the identikit quests across the same areas.

One thing that's putting me off is the possibility that I would have to play it multiple times to get the whole story like in Automata. In the latter game I didn't mind that at all, loved every minute of it. But the thought of running back and forth across the same few areas all over again, really makes it difficult for mevto find the motivation to pick it back up.

10 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I had a similar experience. I love Automata and I was very excited for this but eventually the endless back and forth between a handful of relatively small but mostly empty areas became too much. I played another game in-between and haven't managed to go back yet. I still want to at some point because I like Automata so much.

If I recall correctly, I got past the part where

Reveal hidden contents

The practically naked lady got stoned and eventually we saved her. Can't remember how far I got after that, when trying to think back it's hard to distinguish between all the identikit quests across the same areas.

One thing that's putting me off is the possibility that I would have to play it multiple times to get the whole story like in Automata. In the latter game I didn't mind that at all, loved every minute of it. But the thought of running back and forth across the same few areas all over again, really makes it difficult for mevto find the motivation to pick it back up.

That's the point where everything started to go pear shaped and it became clear it was going to offer up a repeat cycle.

Doing the side quests has also made me a bit of a tank with a +500 weapon that annihilates just about everything at the moment. Considering there are more upgrades available I assume there will be tougher enemies, but yeah, it's clear they learned a lot with the original version here and applied it to Automata instead.

Also the fishing quest chain...

Spoiler

UUUURGH. Trial and error all the bait at various locations only to then get fish that take ever longer and longer to whittle down.

There's a large chunk of filler in this and I'm not sure it'll even amount to anything as, like you've said, the idea of multiple endings just isn't enticing here. It's not all bad though; it makes Automata even smarter and better in hindsight. Still, should've picked this up in a sale rather than going into it day 1.

20 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If it makes a difference, you don't play through the full game for the extra endings. You'll also retain weapons and upgrades, etc. so battles will be much quicker as you go back through. Incredibly minor spoilers about the nature of accessing the endings follow, but no specific story stuff:

Spoiler

You'll get thrown back to a point around 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the game. You replay this second part of the game to access endings B and C. During the end of that 3rd run, you make a narrative choice right at the end. For ending D, you can just reload a save from around 20 mins before the end and then make the other choice.

For Ending E, you do essentially start the game right from the start. But around 2 hours in, there's a point in the story where things change from the original playthrough. From there, there's maybe an hour of new content to access the final ending.

• 2 weeks later...

Completed Ending A and have zero intention to go back to this. Just a string of "emotional" beats with characters I have no connection to. Automata has its quirks, but at least there's a central arc to pull you through.

Spoiler

Christ, the main quest suddenly takes away the ferryman only to introduce an aggravating repeated Village-Seafront marathon yet again and has the gall to bitch about all the to-and-fro walking being annoying, only to give me a boss/character scene that once again is pulled out of thin air with only the barest of connections to a character I interacted with three times. I was so done with the game at that point.

Oh yeah, the seed quest took me almost two weeks (real time) to complete. Urgh.

I genuinely liked the light action-RPG vibe, but there's so much fluff in the way of everything... Such a shame. It's a small miracle Automata turned out as it did.

Edit: 🤦‍♂️

@Cyhwuhx you quoted instead of spoilered. 

I think I can't be bothered picking up where I left off with this. Maybe if I'd played it when it was new, it would have clicked in a way that made me look past the flaws. But going back to it after the glory of Automata is extremely jarring. The weird tone is there but everything around it is so repetitive and boring. Shame.

On 26/07/2021 at 09:33, Cyhwuhx said:

It's a small miracle Automata turned out as it did.

This is the other side of the realisation. On the one hand, people who criticised Automata without playing Nier 2010 didn’t know that the fetch quests and RPGing and fishing were all series staples rather than bad design decisions… on the other hand, people who played Automata after Nier 2010 at least appreciated how well Platinum tightened the experience whilst still respecting the RPG roots of Nier 2010.

Every time someone waded into Automata discussion with a “lol crappy character action game” they didn’t have the context of Nier 2010 to know that - for Nier fans, at least - it was an improvement on a flawed template. And Nier is character action in the same way that Armored Core is a Soulslike and Just Dance is an open-world sandbox. :P 

Important to note that there are also people like me: who played Automata *without* having played Nier, and ended up loving everything about it. 

I had high hopes for OG Nier (I knew it was going to be janky/unpolished going in), but it fell flat for me after Automata. Would absolutely love a third game though.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Important to note that there are also people like me: who played Automata *without* having played Nier, and ended up loving everything about it. 

I had high hopes for OG Nier (I knew it was going to be janky/unpolished going in), but it fell flat for me after Automata. Would absolutely love a third game though.

I'm a huge fan of Automata, but I haven't played this and get the feeling it might be best to leave it.

3 minutes ago, merrychan said:

I'm a huge fan of Automata, but I haven't played this and get the feeling it might be best to leave it.

At least try it when it's cheap or maybe on Game Pass. But I wouldn't recommend paying full price

On 26/07/2021 at 13:28, Mr. Gerbik said:

Nier Reincarnation is supposed to be out soon :P I think the App Store page mentioned July 28th?

If people got upset about Automata’s failings as a “character action game” they’ll probably be more distressed by Reincarnation. ;) 

Reincarnation is out now. Sort of. You can install the app but there's nothing there, as it says something about "launching this afternoon or evening in PST".

E: you can play it now.