Nier Replicant ver. 1.22474487139 PS4/XBONE/STEAM

Zero9X

27 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

The old fishing was counter intuitive. Took ages. (Also like me he was fishing in the wrong spot.)

I think the system is the same, just explained properly. 

25 minutes ago, Oz said:

is there any benefit in playing this on PS5 rather than PC? 

I think the PC version might have some weirdness around frame rates and denuvo stuff. The ps5/series just plays it in back compat though.

3 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Looks like the animation is tied to frame rate on the PC version and there's no inbuilt frame limiter in play. Unless you set it to cap at 60fps through video card software it seems to play in Benny Hill mode. 

Almost.

Animation/game speed is tied to monitor refresh rate; set your monitor refresh rate to 60Hz and you’re good to go.

Yeah, I started the Xbox version last night - only played as far as the intro (I'm approaching the end of Greedfall and want to finish that before starting this properly) but I was impressed by how good it looks. It's held up better than I expected. 

Still prefer Daddy Nier to the brother, though. 

The only glaring issue I had with the PC port so far is the game randomly shitting the bed and dropping to sub-10fps for about 20sec before going back to normal. Threw on a framerate cap via Nvidia's control panel (I mostly use a 60hz telly for controller based games anyway), and it's felt fine for the subsequent 3 hours after. Definitely a better state than requiring a mod to claw back overzealous global illumination settings and fix framepacing.

As for the game itself - yeah, I like it, just arrived at Facade for the first time. I didn't play the original Nier, but combat doesn't feel any less clunky than Automata which was the biggest concern.

The amount of shit brother Nier gets from Weiss and Kaine is already absurd, and rightly so. Stop agreeing to everything and everyone, you dork :lol:

Spoiler

I did try to completely fuck off the quest for the lighthouse lady because she was a rude shitbag, only for Yonah to tell me to do it anyway :facepalm:

Having never touched the original(s) and playing this with Automata completed... Well, it does give you some immediate handles to latch on story wise. :)

Really intrigued how it'll all play out eventually.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

The only glaring issue I had with the PC port so far is the game randomly shitting the bed and dropping to sub-10fps for about 20sec before going back to normal. Threw on a framerate cap via Nvidia's control panel (I mostly use a 60hz telly for controller based games anyway), and it's felt fine for the subsequent 3 hours after. Definitely a better state than requiring a mod to claw back overzealous global illumination settings and fix framepacing.

As for the game itself - yeah, I like it, just arrived at Facade for the first time. I didn't play the original Nier, but combat doesn't feel any less clunky than Automata which was the biggest concern.

The amount of shit brother Nier gets from Weiss and Kaine is already absurd, and rightly so. Stop agreeing to everything and everyone, you dork :lol:

Hide contents

I did try to completely fuck off the quest for the lighthouse lady because she was a rude shitbag, only for Yonah to tell me to do it anyway :facepalm:

That is the correct way to play that spoiler :) I love how meta Taro is at criticising the leaden aspects of his own games - although that doesn't entirely excuse the repetition in everything since the original Drakengard. Playing through the final Branch of Drak 3 and the same 5 corridor levels are really starting to grate - and yet reviewers complain about retreading their steps in NieR!

- PS4 and PS4 Pro run at 1080p resolution. Xbox One and One X run at 792p and 1440p respectively. - Framerate remains stable on PS4 Pro and OneX in tested areas. One and PS4 have some drops, most noticeable on PS4. - The anisotropic filter is higher in the Xbox versions. - Loading times are faster on One X and PS4 Pro versions. PS4 is the slowest version. - The drawing distance is the same in all platforms with respect to the elements, but greater in One X in terms of shadows. - Shadows are better on the PS4 Pro and One X versions.

I started playing this yesterday after finishing Automata. I'm really enjoying myself to the point of doing sidequests. Not very far into it yet. Just got to the desert.

I've been reading up as best I can on the through road between Drakengard and Automata. Ending E from Drakengard 3 is weird but makes sense. Does Replicant explain why it starts with

Spoiler

The main characters in 2053 fighting shades with Weiss and then switching to over a 1000 years in the future with the same characters in a fantasy setting? And how on earth do you get back from that to modern day and androids?

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I started playing this yesterday after finishing Automata. I'm really enjoying myself to the point of doing sidequests. Not very far into it yet. Just got to the desert.

I've been reading up as best I can on the through road between Drakengard and Automata. Ending E from Drakengard 3 is weird but makes sense. Does Replicant explain why it starts with

Hide contents

The main characters in 2053 fighting shades with Weiss and then switching to over a 1000 years in the future with the same characters in a fantasy setting? And how on earth do you get back from that to modern day and androids?

Answer to spoiler question.Yes.

On another note saw this today about fears for the success of the game.

tD2K86KHeTK8YrT9yXXasF-970-80.jpg

Started this on PC yesterday, (on my shiny new laptop no less!) really enjoying it. I have Automata in my pile of shame so hopefully will do that straight after this.

I was wondering why the original on the 360 had a totally different aesthetic on the cover. I didn't even realise it was the same game series ( i never played the original obviously). 

Well, that's Endings A and B done.

Spoiler

And now my complete dismissal of all side quests in the game comes back to haunt me due to only having about 50% of the weapons and zero gold to my name after buying all four weapons that was at the weapon shop in the village.

I think the new Recycled Vessel mode helps a lot, though - at the very least, I've picked up two weapons that I didn't have via that, so hopefully they're things I've missed on Part 1 and I can just get on with farming gold.

Also, the remixed music in that mode is fucking great, so I don't mind grinding it out at all.

As for the plot - I loved the Kainé and Emil dreams and the added scenes, but compared to Automata, the Route B Shade storylines were kind of hit and miss. I found it hard to care about the Kalil storyline because it was very clear Gideon was a fucking tool anyway, while the Wolves thing didn't really take off until the trap incident. I wish they did something more with the Memory Tree sequence the second time around, as well. also, trying to catch the shade dialogues during a fight was an absolute ball-ache with it all being tucked into a corner, so you either had to focus on the fight or the text. I'm glad that all got ironed out in Automata with actual breaks in the fight.

Also, RE: my previous framedrop issues with the game, I'm more convinced it has something to do with the hardware polling via Steam Input on a computer - I still get drops to 20fps, but only when my controller connection drops from low battery or bluetooth disconnection. Same with my wireless headset turning on/off.

To be fair to the port, this is also a problem I experience with Destiny 2 - which is arguably worse, as it's not a single player RPG and for some reason it has the additional issue of not wanting to reconnect when it happens. But that's another argument for another day.

Also, in case you want to ruin your fun with the game and be a complete tryhard (mild weapon/magic spoilers):

Spoiler

Spears and Magic Wall is fucking busted - just charge up Wall so it's the forcefield for 20 seconds, and then just hold light attack in two-second intervals in order to Spin2win on anything that's attempting to use bullet hell attacks during that entire phase.

But man, I'm really enjoying the game and the story so far, even with most of the spoilerific parts of the game already known via Automata and reading up on how utterly fucked the Drakengard universe is. I think it helps that the endearing main cast of characters and the music just makes really poignant moments so special.

Farming and fishing seem like easy ways to stock up on gold if you can't be arsed with the side quests. I finished all five fishing quests (Which doesn't take long) and was able to consistently and easily fish black bass for 1.5k each. I also planted a full farm of rice and collected it the next day. That's 300 gold per rice and each of the 15 plots gives something like 11-13 without fertiliser.

I don't play games much during the week so dipping in and doing a bit of farming before I move on at the weekend is turning out to be handy.

TBH by the time you actually need goldyou're probably better off slapping Item Drop rate onto your biggest, filthiest spear and running the Junk Yard dungeon a couple of times.

Word of advice, though - if you do end up doing this early on, keep two Memory Alloys and three Machine Oil drops on you instead of selling them. Trust me.

As for the third playthrough:

Spoiler

I've now bought all the weapons I missed out on (about 200-300k?). Bit of a mission, but it's done - So it's now just the treasure map quest, the tomb quest after you kill the wolf shade, and the third weapon from the Papa Nier fights. Ended up doing another yard run to get those oils, as mentioned.

The Phoenix Spear is absolutely revolting in terms of damage, though, I definitely would have bought that thing if I bothered to look at the shops instead of sticking with the upgraded Dragoon Lance. I didn't think I needed more damage from the first level, but turns out I had all the materials for it and it added another 100 damage to the bloody thing. I now tap things and they die :lol:

On 26/04/2021 at 22:51, Siri said:

But man, I'm really enjoying the game and the story so far, even with most of the spoilerific parts of the game already known via Automata and reading up on how utterly fucked the Drakengard universe is. I think it helps that the endearing main cast of characters and the music just makes really poignant moments so special.

Are there more games or books etc set in the Drakengard universe? I'd never heard of it before this and Automata.

Googled it, had no idea there were a few games.

Playing on Series X and there’s a pretty horrendous save bug. The game looks like it saves but just says it’s failed. There’s absolutely nothing you can do and the game doesn’t quick resume at all so that’s it. I lost four hours or so. Needless to say, I won’t be back for a while. 

I haven't played this rerelease, but the characters in Automata didn't hold a candle to Daddy Nier and Kaine. Kaine's opening salvo as soon as you load up the game was eye opening.

On 24/04/2021 at 00:37, Triple A said:

Almost.

Animation/game speed is tied to monitor refresh rate; set your monitor refresh rate to 60Hz and you’re good to go.

:lol:

You would think they would at least get the work experience kid to give it a quick go before punting it out. Jesus.

Watched this getting rinsed on Twitch all last week (all endings). It has finally got me to start up Automata. Nice timing with the Gamepass release on that.

Funnily enough the PC version of Bayonetta has to be played at mutiples of 60Hz, or else you get jittery video. It's annoying having to adjust it every time in, and out, of the game.

On 03/05/2021 at 16:09, Pockets said:

Playing on Series X and there’s a pretty horrendous save bug. The game looks like it saves but just says it’s failed. There’s absolutely nothing you can do and the game doesn’t quick resume at all so that’s it. I lost four hours or so. Needless to say, I won’t be back for a while. 

I was enjoying the game until just now when I hit this bug. Lost hours of progress and obviously there's no sense in trying to do it all again.

Any word on a patch? Have they acknowledged this bug?

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I was enjoying the game until just now when I hit this bug. Lost hours of progress and obviously there's no sense in trying to do it all again.

Any word on a patch? Have they acknowledged this bug?

I finally brought myself to do it again and got back to where I was in an hour. 

Did you hit it near the desert? Without getting more specific. Minor early game stuff that you’ll have seen if you’ve played enough to lose any time. 

Spoiler

When you fight that lizard thing in the weird town with Kaine. Just before as you enter, I don’t think you can use the save thing if you try. Every subsequent attempt to save after that fails. When I redid it I didn’t bother trying to save there and it’s been okay. 

I’m completely guessing here, but I thought it was odd it wouldn’t let me when I tried the first time (probably because the fight was about to start) and it was from then on that they failed.