IGNORED

Nier Replicant ver. 1.22474487139 PS4/XBONE/STEAM

Zero9X

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Sorry to do the "wade in late and ignore the rest of the thread" thing but is there anywhere I can read a concise appraisal of how this game plays compared to Automata? I know nothing about it except I thought it was an action third person RPG kind of thing.

It’s essentially proto-Automata without the fluidity of Platinum combat. A lot of things seen in 2B’s adventure started out in Replicant - instead of the Pod shooting for you, there’s a magic book called Grimoire Weiss; instead of the chip system, there’s a “word edit” mechanic where you modify gear and spells (the attacks of the magic book) to give you different buffs and effects. The bullet hell is still there, as are the crazy perspective shifts, and you’ll still be doing side quests and crafting and fishing. It’s just that gameplay felt a lot “stiffer” in OG Nier. You had a guard and a roll, but that was pretty much it, and there was none of the crazy cancelling you can do in Automata.

It’s why I always rolled my eyes when people started with Automata and called it a bad character action game - Nier was never about character action in 2010 or 2017; it’s an action RPG infused with Taro’s madness.

So excited to see what everyone makes of this. I've rinsed it for review but can't say anything :( I'm probably the only Toro fan in the world to have not played Automata so am looking forward to getting on with that when they actually fix the PC port. Currently playing Drakengard 3 which is very Toro. Zero makes Kaine sound like a Girl Guide and the amount of claret and pervy conversation is absurd. As for Ver 1.22 the only thing I'll say up front is you should keep a note of your save file name up to and including the final ending, and then go for the time attack trophy after that. Look forward to some reactions when it's released.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

It’s essentially proto-Automata without the fluidity of Platinum combat. A lot of things seen in 2B’s adventure started out in Replicant - instead of the Pod shooting for you, there’s a magic book called Grimoire Weiss - instead of the chip system, there’s a “word edit” mechanic where you modify gear and spells (the attacks of the magic book) to give you different buffs and effects. The bullet hell is still there, as are the crazy perspective shifts, and you’ll still be doing side quests and crafting and fishing. It’s just that gameplay felt a lot “stiffer” in OG Nier. You had a guard and a roll, but that was pretty much it, and there was none of the crazy cancelling you can do in Automata.

It’s why I always rolled my eyes when people started with Automata and called it a bad character action game - Nier was never about character action in 2010 or 2017; it’s an action RPG infused with Taro’s madness.

I loved, absolutely LOVED Automata - but not because of the combat, but because of everything else. I'm assuming I will love Replicant if it has stiffer combat/controls but same crazy amazing everything else :)

Looking forward to it! Have it preloaded on my Series X, can't wait :wub:

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Days Gone dude would be so proud of me, I bought it full price from the Xbox store :D

So did I. Although I spent Microsoft Reward points on it and got 6000 rewards points back on the app. So it actually cost me nothing. 

I'm doing the same with Judgment on Friday. 

18 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

So did I. Although I spent Microsoft Reward points on it and got 6000 rewards points back on the app. So it actually cost me nothing. 

I'm doing the same with Judgment on Friday. 

Days Gone dude would be very confused by this! Happy or not happy? You bought it full price but used rewards points, are you a good guy or bad guy now?

16 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Days Gone dude would be very confused by this! Happy or not happy? You bought it full price but used rewards points, are you a good guy or bad guy now?

I'm not sure, but I can stand there indignantly when the game doesn't meet S-E's projections and say I was Day One!

To be honest, I'm just glad this exists at all. I was disappointed when it was never made BC on the Bone and thought it was lost for good. I can't wait to get stuck in again on Friday. Confusing the Days Gone guy would just be icing on the cake. :lol:

6 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

So excited to see what everyone makes of this. I've rinsed it for review but can't say anything :( I'm probably the only Toro fan in the world to have not played Automata so am looking forward to getting on with that when they actually fix the PC port. Currently playing Drakengard 3 which is very Toro. Zero makes Kaine sound like a Girl Guide and the amount of claret and pervy conversation is absurd. As for Ver 1.22 the only thing I'll say up front is you should keep a note of your save file name up to and including the final ending, and then go for the time attack trophy after that. Look forward to some reactions when it's released.

Hey when does the review embargo lift? 

On 19/04/2021 at 19:55, earlymodernsteve said:

I'm probably the only Toro fan in the world to have not played Automata so am looking forward to getting on with that when they actually fix the PC port. Currently playing Drakengard 3 which is very Toro.

"Taro" :quote:

Is the PC port of Automata that badly broken? I thought you might be waiting a while since it's been 4 years since it was released, but I saw the Polygon post so you should be good to play it soon.
https://www.polygon.com/22382371/nier-automata-steam-version-patch-update-fix-resolution-pc-release-date

Although I want to read reviews, I'm probably going to get this full price since I only paid peanuts for Automata and then rinsed it, so feel like I should actually buy this thing on release.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I never played original NieR but I heard about there being two versions. Does this mean that this remake is both versions in one? Or was there more to it?

Japan got Brother Nier whereas US and the EU got Daddy Nier. It alters the relationship with your daughter/sister, who is the driving force of the story. This is the brother Nier version which, I have to admit I'm less interested in. If there's an option to play as Daddy Nier I'm all for it. 

6 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Daddy NieR is in the 15 Nightmares content, which is a series of challenge battle areas (DLC in the first game)

Ah, so it's not the actual main game. Thanks, I'm avoiding all media except this thread so these posts are all I have to go on :)

I know fuck all about the first game except for it being two versions. And I know I loved Automata. And OG NieR is stiffer to control. That's it - I can't wait to be surprised this Friday :D

4 hours ago, Talvalin said:

"Taro" :quote:

Is the PC port of Automata that badly broken? I thought you might be waiting a while since it's been 4 years since it was released, but I saw the Polygon post so you should be good to play it soon.
https://www.polygon.com/22382371/nier-automata-steam-version-patch-update-fix-resolution-pc-release-date

Although I want to read reviews, I'm probably going to get this full price since I only paid peanuts for Automata and then rinsed it, so feel like I should actually buy this thing on release.

That'll teach me to post on my phone :) Automata needed lots of fan patches and stuff but finally got an update for Gamepass. I already had it on Steam though and was intending on playing it there. There is a lot of content here for the money, even without the usual grind for leveling up weapons (which is only for trophy hunting rather than ending related). It's a beautiful package, although it is still very much the original NieR with all that entails.