SnowRunner

djbhammer

Bit of a mixed bag on this tonight, trying to do Pipe dream. I had some wasted trips where I didn't have the correct saddle on my truck and couldn't do the missions in a certain order. I also overturned a flatbed semi trailer in some wet mud

Then the game glitched a giant trailer in to the floor, leaving me to restart the whole series of tasks. Not ideal, but I'm learning to solve problems at least.

But I also had fun hauling a long double load of steel beams and giant drill module across the map, including through some nicely flooded roads.

• 2 months later...

Picked this up on PS4 a few weeks back and have been pretty addicted to it since. 

It has a really great progression system, and unlocking a new truck or upgrade is always exciting. It's also a perfect game to relax with while listening to an ebook, podcast, or some music. 

• 1 month later...

I'm still loving this. At level 21 now and deep in to Russia and Alaska thanks to the Tayga (see below). I'm pulling ridiculously large and unwieldy loads across properly unfriendly terrain.

Think I'll have to grab the season pass as soon as it's in a sale again.

Anyone else still playing? Need some assistance maybe? I still haven't touched the multiplayer.

20201023_152654.thumb.jpg.34ffd6830e54a0da5859a71265f3e986.jpg

I finished all the contracts a few weeks back. I kinda got hooked on it so I’m having a break. I plan on helping my mate when he gets back to it. Would be lovely if they put a unlocked frame rate option in for ps5.

Its the best runner game, I would love to see a similar game with choppers

I’ve been enjoying dipping into it. I got a proper balloon-tyred scout truck that I think may have been a season pass bonus and I worry it’s overpowering the start of the game since it can go more or less anywhere, just not with much fuel or any load. 
Anyway yes good, but I do find I’ve got a massive list of things to do, many of which are beyond my equipment, and i don’t really know where to start. 

• 4 months later...

I'm really enjoying this after buying it in the sale, but I so nearly jacked it in thanks to the utterly rubbish UI and tutorial. All I needed was a little nudge towards the customisation menu and the various new offroad tyres, engines and suspension that I'd unknowingly unlocked, but the game is pretty impenetrable for the first couple of hours and I was getting a bit sick of trying to haul pallets of concrete through thick mud and immediately becoming completely stuck.

As people have said, it has a nicely relaxed pace and makes a nice accompaniment to a podcast or audiobook. Nicely balanced too once you get past the start - my scout vehicles can absolutely fly over mud once they've had a few upgrades, but the fuel consumption goes through the roof if you stick AWD, mud tyres and a snowrunner gearbox on, so you have to manage things quite carefully. Similarly, the Scout 800 can go over more or less anything, but is also insanely top-heavy. 

I bought a wheel and pedals for this. I love it so much.

The growing feeling of mastery multiplied by the fun of just driving around...I love this game.

I'll be getting back to it as soon as Persona releases it's grip a little.

I got this 2 weeks ago after rinsing mid runner and loving it. It’s so nice and chilled and even when things inevitably go wrong and you roll a truck over it’s mitigated by the fact that it’s a lot of fun trying to fix the situation without recovering and losing progress. Righting a big 8x8 rig on a map with no garage just by using a little Chevy pickup wedged against a tree and its winch felt like a major victory.

it needs a photo mode as well- it’s incredibly pretty, especially around sunset and dawn

• 2 weeks later...

Just got to Russia. All of a sudden my upgraded western trucks are being shown up as the pampered products of bourgeois capitalist decadence they are...

• 2 months later...

Can anyone hell me with this please, early mission, Wet Harvest, I’ve found a trailer of metal at my garage, taken it to the farm and I can’t unload it. 

Checked Google, said about packing , unpacking, repacking. I just get the option to load. No unload. A few YouTube vids just drive in and it pops. Must be something obvious but I have no clue. 

39 minutes ago, MattKB said:

Can anyone hell me with this please, early mission, Wet Harvest, I’ve found a trailer of metal at my garage, taken it to the farm and I can’t unload it. 

Checked Google, said about packing , unpacking, repacking. I just get the option to load. No unload. A few YouTube vids just drive in and it pops. Must be something obvious but I have no clue. 

Up on the dpad, near the bottom of that menu it says something like 'pack load'.

I can't tell you if it works because I never made it back to any of the pick up points to get cargo. I've never played a game that fought you so hard to enjoy it. Everything about it seems designed to be hateful and spiteful and after getting bogged down again trying to get to an objective I uninstalled it. Again.

Have you got the right trailer selected? I've had it before where I haven't noticed that in the load/unload screen, my empty flatbed/sideboard bed is selected rather than the external trailer.

20 hours ago, MattKB said:

Tried that, no dice. Does it have to be collected from the place they say? Surely not, metal is metal right. 

I have recollection of someone in the Game Pass thread saying they have to be collected in the order they're on the mission, so if bricks are first they need to be got first.

And what Danbot said. You're picking up at the yellow arrows yeah?

If it's the order, then you can just leave it there. Stuff doesn't despawn or anything like that, so you'll be fine to drop it off once you've found the cargo they need first.

• 3 months later...

We have a thread! Excellent. 

Just discovered this after it popped up on Game Pass. I always meant to give Mudrunner a go but my son got annoyed that it wasn't a "big trucks doing arcadey mud drifts" thing and we sacked it off. Oops. I actually love the slow pace of it, and the cab view is spot on. Especially the hands on wheel, I kinda know where my wheels are turning just having those hands in my peripheral vision.

However, I'm stuck and I don't want to toil too much lest I get annoyed, so need advice please. I've arrived in Alaska and it made me bring the GMC flatbed RWD, which I can't upgrade to AWD for some reason. I haven't quite got enough money for a normal pickup, and I've driven every road I can in the flatbed. I'm guessing I need to return to Michigan and do some easier contracts there in the pickup I left behind (or move my pickup to Alaska?) but I stupidly can't figure any of these things out.

Help! I want to get over this initial, seemingly impenetrable hump because I know I'm going to enjoy the game generally. Also, someone please throw money at the devs who make ATS and ETS so we can get a bloody console port. Got enough sims now to show that the LB+button combo is good enough to ensure all the complicated controls are accessible.

there's a few times you'll run into stuff like that. You can flick between going back to the easier contracts - take the GMC back too if it's helpful (although good luck identifying which ones are easy at times) and go move the pickup, both approaches are valid. By putting a vehicle into storage in one area's garage you can teleport it to the other area very simply.

Definitely do more missions in Michigan first - Alaska is hard! (Possibly harder than Russia even)

How to move your trucks around any garage any map - in the garage press the retain button. Then go back to global map - find the garage you want to start from and go into the truck storage menu - think of each garage as separate and the truck storage menu as a magic box.

General tips (as others have said):

- Fix bridges and find towers

- Get Mudtires

- Get AWD/Diff Lock

- Feel free to buy and sell trailers at will - they have the same buy/sell price

- Use Recover option to save time getting back to a garage across map (or not!)

- Upgrade to auto-winch on your Scout so that it can recover even if completely flipped over

- Try and complete contracts rather than tasks - these tend to be in an order and will open up additional stuff on the maps

- Have fun, make silly mistakes, get stuck, go on adventures!

I've really gotten into Snowrunner and am still playing it around a year later - it's just a great game to accomplish a few things in and then switch if off.

My completion for the three areas stands at 77% / 57% / 49% and I must be in the thousands of hours played now. I've bought the year 1 pass but won't go to those areas until I've finished one of the main areas.

A trailer dropped recently outlining the year 2 content, so will keep on trucking!

Hmm... maybe I should give this another go, I found it incredibly boring and slow to the point of not even being realistic. Maybe I was doing something fundamentally wrong but euro truck simulator seems so much better. 

I trust a lot of the fellow mukkers' opinions that have posted in here though so maybe I'm just doing it wrong. I did the first section and moved to... actually can't remember tbh 😅  but yeah, I really didn't think controlled well, the mission structure was pretty annoying in the few I did, the map wasn't very clear... maybe I wasn't in the mood but it surprised me, and my mate (who absolutely loves ice road truckers) thought it was too dull as well. 

Is it just one to push through for a bit? I'm not trying to be a knob and slag it off to be contrarian, or stink up the thread but yeah, I just didn't get on with it at all. Any tips maybe?

My tips above are pretty solid. I found it is really difficult at the start, and mentally exhausting, but does level off quick. I pretty much switch off now when playing as I've driven over the landscape so many times I don't have many problems.

It's actually pretty friendly once you are into the groove and I feel it's actually quite forgiving straightforward (arcadey?) rather than a deep sim. Logistics management simulator.

16 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

My tips above are pretty solid. I found it is really difficult at the start, and mentally exhausting, but does level off quick. I pretty much switch off now when playing as I've driven over the landscape so many times I don't have many problems.

It's actually pretty friendly once you are into the groove and I feel it's actually quite forgiving straightforward (arcadey?) rather than a deep sim. Logistics management simulator.

OK I'll give it another bash and see how I go, I was probably doing something wrong, the tutorial didn't seem that helpful so I might have not been paying enough attention. Cheers. 

I think it’s the Azov 64131 which you can get early by selling stuff and it was game changing for me. Basically it becomes playable but still challenging rather than hair pulling all the time. There are some guides somewhere I’ll try find them. 

My tip would be if you don’t want to pay for the Khan scout vehicle…

Download a scout vehicle class mod.

Go to the watch towers to open the map.

If you come across any mission then accept them there and then as it allows you easily see what you need for that task in the map menu.

Get the upgrades.

Then get into the trucking part of things.

Fix bridges first.

I didn’t bother buying the year 2 content I tend to prefer paying 5 quid every couple of months. Still trying to get the platinum.

This game is a massive pain in the arse. The way it makes you truck from one end of the map to the other on purpose, the way the engine stalls when you roll it, the way the cranes are only barely strong enough to lift a single load, the damn camera especially in crane mode.

…..but despite all its many many flaws I can’t wait for the PS5 version supposedly coming along with season 6 update (the next update) possibly November.

On 10/09/2021 at 10:08, b00dles said:

I found it incredibly boring and slow to the point of not even being realistic

I mean the map is painfully exaggerated to make it all about the core mechanics, but everything I've seen about proper off-roading seems to be represented here? For example, I managed to get back from Alaska, which the tutorial really ought not to have sent new players to so early. I figured I'd first switch to my Chevy pickup to explore Michigan and unlock towers. I did so by (frustratingly) driving the GMC flatbed you get at the start all the way to the tower where I left the pickup, only to discover you can just use the D-pad to quick change between your own vehicles. Good grief. 

Anyway, I started lighting up towers and discovered the Scout 800, which is so much better. This thing launches up into the air and bounces around like I see other 4x4 vehicles doing in videos. Feeling like chocolate, I tried the King of the Hill task and kept rolling the damn thing down the hill and stalling the engine. I'm really trying not to be pissed off so quit and came back to it the next day. It occurred that I ought to be crawling along in L gear, not hooning it in auto, so basically crawled up to the flags. It did require me to let it roll backwards under gravity and then inch forward again, repeating that a few times until I was able to make sharp turns on an incline. But I've seen people do this sort of slow crawl with RC cars in this rocky park we take the kids to (to see fossils). 

So I guess unless someone does this sort of thing and then also says it's unrealistic, I think it's probably just realistic in the sense that this isn't what we think of off-roading. And wouldn't dream of lugging a sodding flatbed full of planks while off-roading. I do dislike how it basically forces you back to the garage unless you want to wearily cross the map again and hit up a petrol station on the way. I mean I am learning routes and know how to avoid some of the pitfalls, but still.

So, my predicament. I haven't finished fetching all the upgrades or watchtowers, but wanted to fix a bridge. I see I need 1 planks and 2 concrete blocks, and I've pretty much driven all the routes needed between where the stuff is and where the bridge is. Ace! So I buy what I thought was a 2 cargo trailer, hook it up to the Scout 800 and drive to where the metal is. Wow, LOT different with the trailer, damn thing gets stuck on rocks much more easily. Was winching a lot. I get there and metal doesn't fit. Sigh. But concrete does! Well, 1. So I lug the concrete up to the bridge and nearly quit a couple of times after getting stuck in mud and on rocks in ways I didn't before. But I finally get it to the bridge with a smidge of fuel to spare, fill her up, get to the bridge and... they won't take the concrete before the metal. Argh. So I dumped the trailer there. No idea if it's permanently there and if I'm out of pocket now, guess we'll see next time I play :lol:. But I think I might go back to getting all the towers and upgrades first.

Complete aside, but what do the season passes include? Any DLC vehicles? I was half tempted just to fetch the Jeep Rubicon, to see what all the 4wd fuss is about (feels like Jeep owners look down their noses at Subaru owners).