Shinsekai: Into the Depths - stunning (new) metroidvania game

Just chiming in with the love for this game - bought it after seeing this thread and it's a cracking recommendation. :wub:

Pretty much agree with everything that's been said, it has a wonderful atmosphere and the animation really is cool.

With this and Obra Dinn (also great), the Switch has seen me through this "isolation period" rather well. :)

Well that was amazing. Comfortably the best metroidvania I've played (although to be fair I haven't played that many of the genre).

Spoiler

Apart from the shit-cunt final boss. I have no idea what I'm even supposed to be doing. I've watched youtube videos of people doing it on iOS and it mostly seems to be people chipping away at it's health incredibly slowly over the space of ten minutes.

Unless I can find an actual guide as to what you're supposed to be doing then I don't think I'll bother. I have no idea why developers insist on ruining perfectly good exploration games with boss battles. It's like the FA deciding that the best way to finish all football matches would be with a game of snooker.

Although to their credit, at least you get an actual ending if you fail.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Minion said:

How hard is this, I see @smac describes it as chilled is that right?

Can get tense, but never frustrating. You won't die much, resources are generous, pathfinding is clear and well signposted. Just a lovely world to be in.

Just now, Uncle Nasty said:

Can get tense, but never frustrating. You won't die much, resources are generous, pathfinding is clear and well signposted. Just a lovely world to be in.

Sweet, thank you!

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

About the only criticism I have has already been posted, in that it can be hard to spot enemies at times against the background environment. I'm a good 11 hours in and only died a couple of times.

3 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Easily a top five of this gen game for me, just a phenomenal game all round. Are you playing it on the Switch or iOS, @Minion? I played it on an iPad Pro with a PS4 pad and bluetooth speakers, not sure if I'd have been so taken with it on a phone.

I've got a switch with the pro controller, likewise I can't play games on a  phone. I haven't pulled the trigger yet though, just going to try and get back in to Elite Dangerous and see how I get on, I have till tomorrow before it goes up in price but judging by the comments in this thread it's a must buy.

Sheesh, do remember to whack that wrench down to check for nearby mineral deposits that might be tucked away.

I spent ages last night backtracking to find the last bit of raw materials for a suit upgrade in the 

Spoiler

Sunken Ship

area. I had missed a tiny bit in one corner, very near the end. I can now open the door I reckon I need to complete the area.

Aaaand at lunchtime I beat

Spoiler

Ol' grabby tentacle face after completing the sunken ship. On to the volcano, although I've already visited it.

Must be a fair way through by now.

On 29/09/2020 at 12:26, Uncle Nasty said:

Easily a top five of this gen game for me, just a phenomenal game all round. Are you playing it on the Switch or iOS, @Minion? I played it on an iPad Pro with a PS4 pad and bluetooth speakers, not sure if I'd have been so taken with it on a phone.

I caved, it's downloading now :)

13 hours ago, Minion said:

I caved, it's downloading now :)

It's a pretty easy game to binge, you'll get sucked in and just want to see everything. Once you start getting upgrades and shortcuts opened it becomes totally addictive and charming. I hadn't seen any reviews or previews when I played it, so all the stuff you get to play with was a genuine surprise. Just lovely. Go in blind if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started this. Hasn’t blown me away in the first hour but some nice ideas, we’ll see where it goes. 

Is there any downside to leaving the lamp on all the time? I don’t notice it running anything down, surely it’s always an advantage to keep on?

I don't get what's good about this but when I start I just can't stop.

It's a Metroidvania (yes, I know) ostensibly, at least more so than it is anything else, but with very few actual "abilities", you just unlock more things to craft (that word alone has stopped me buying games) and upgrade your existing traits a little. Depth pressure seems novel but is just a straight analogue for keys to gate progress, I think the UI is poor and suffers for trying to be universal, combat is clumsy and frequently feels unfair when surprised and the physics out of water are... unhelpful, and yet it's absurdly compelling. There are save points all over the place and I keep falling for "I'll save here but then see what's just up next before I switch off" and then I don't do the second bit.

Bizarre. Bafflingly good. No idea why. If it wasn't for this thread I'd maybe think it was just my penchant for games and media in general with oldey timey maritime themes but that doesn't explain you lot. Thanks I guess!

I played through this a few weeks ago and although initially I enjoyed it, for me it became a bit of a drag (excuse the pun). The atmosphere is cool but the gameplay becomes formulaic quite quickly. Underwater movement feels suitably sluggish but that gets tiresome as well. But for me the biggest letdown was that there was little sense of wonder or exploration in the game - I went out of my way to collect resources and scour the map but you just get rewarded with more resources and a few collectibles. Although you unlock some new abilities, aside from the cool big one which I won't spoil, there's nothing that shakes up the gameplay much. The envionments look nice but don't offer much in the way of gameplay variety. The combat is clunky and lacks much depth although there are some nice weapon ideas which don't really get taken advantage of. I later learned this game was originally on tablets which explains a lot about the simplicity of the movement and combat, as well as the grindy resource collection aspect.

I don't want to rag on the game too much, its nice for what it is, but I certainly wouldn't rate it as highly as others on here. Its a competant Metroidvania with a nice atmosphere and setting plus a few cool ideas, let down by repetition, gameplay that becomes quite stale and a lack of interesting abilities and secrets to uncover. However at its low price point I still think it's worth a shot as some people seem to really like it. I would suggest don't be like me and go looking for every secret, it drags out the game's length and isn't worth the trouble.