rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Shinsekai: Into the Depths - stunning (new) metroidvania game

maxresdefault.jpg

Shinsekai (litt.: new earth) is a stunning new metroidvania game from the Capcom team behind the first two Lost Planet games, and was released earlier today on the Nintendo Switch eShop and a few months before that through Apple arcade.

The land has been covered with ice, forcing mankind to take refuge in the ocean.
Years have passed, but the all-consuming ice moves slowly but steadily on, and civilization has fallen into decay.

One lone survivor lives on in solitude.
Desolate days lead into aimless nights, and the aquanaut passes the time in rote repetition.
But one day, a chance encounter leads to the discovery of a mysterious drone-like machine.

That meeting will lead them both deeper into a vast undersea world.

"What happened to the world above?"
"Are there others out there?"
"What secrets lie at the bottom of the ocean?"

Venture deeper as you seek answer to these and other questions whose answers may lie down below.

The undersea world that awaits is both beautiful and terrible. Encounter sea creatures, brave mounting water pressure, and conserve oxygen as you press on into the undersea ruins, seeking the truth.

Launch trailer:

Official website:

>>  https://www.shinsekai-itd.com/en/

EDGE: 8 out of 10

Destructoid: 8 out of 10

dG3tup4.png

• Upvote 5

Is there survival elements in this - managing your oxygen tank and so on? Because that's the difference between buying it now and holding off for a sale. 

1 minute ago, mdn2 said:

Is there survival elements in this - managing your oxygen tank and so on? Because that's the difference between buying it now and holding off for a sale. 

The reveal in the Direct today mentioned that, that you needed to consider those things.

1 minute ago, Pavey said:

The reveal in the Direct today mentioned that, that you needed to consider those things.

Oh well, I'll give it a miss for the time being. A shame, because I love the art style. 

2 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

There are, and I usually can't stand that kind of mechanic, but it's genuinely not to the detriment of the game. Buy in confidence. It's the best game I played last year, gameplay, audio, visuals are all sublime. The atmosphere and sense of isolation and exploration is really special. Even just moving your character around feels amazing. Wonderful game.

• Upvote 7

I normally hate those things too, but might give it a go based on what Uncle Nasty just said.

How did you get to play it last year?

3 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Oh well, I'll give it a miss for the time being. A shame, because I love the art style. 

The animation on the main character looks fantastic doesn't it.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

There are, and I usually can't stand that kind of mechanic, but it's genuinely not to the detriment of the game. Buy in confidence. It's the best game I played last year, gameplay, audio, visuals are all sublime. The atmosphere and sense of isolation and exploration is really special. Even just moving your character around feels amazing. Wonderful game.

Goddamn it, bought. If I hate it, I'll laying the blame solely at your feet. 

Just now, Pavey said:

I normally hate those things too, but might give it a go based on what Uncle Nasty just said.

How did you get to play it last year?

Apple Arcade, a few us were really into it. I played on an iPad Pro with a Dual Shock 4 and external speakers, the experience was just so atmospheric and intriguing. Nothing annoying or nagging about the survival elements.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pavey said:

The animation on the main character looks fantastic doesn't it.

Yes, the animation of everything in the game is beautiful and has a really weighty, solid feel. The way you fling your character around and the way they respond to being in water compared to dry land is just brilliantly realised. Work of art.

• Upvote 2

Any word on who developed this?

Most sites simply say Capcom but no individual names of dev team members can be found.

EDIT: Shuichi Kawata (RE5), Koji Wakasono (Lost Planet) and Kenji Fukasawa seem to have been the heads of the dev team.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Sold!

Downloading now. £12 too as i used some points. Not too shabby!

It’s a stunning game. If you like your Metroidvanias alien, isolated and atmospheric this one is for you. Beautiful art style and music too. Animation is incredible. I love it. I wish there was a physical release so I could gift it to people I know!

• Upvote 3

I've bought it. £10.29 with points. I need to finish Murder By Numbers and start La Mulana before it even gets a look in, though. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

It’s a stunning game. If you like your Metroidvanias alien, isolated and atmospheric this one is for you. Beautiful art style and music too. Animation is incredible. I love it. I wish there was a physical release so I could gift it to people I know!

Will a fellow Hollow Knight junkie enjoy this?

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

Will a fellow Hollow Knight junkie enjoy this?

Its pretty different to Hollow Knight in many ways. Unlike the nimble and tight wee guy in HK, you propel your character about the place with like a jetpack, which might seem unwieldy to begin with. He’s got a really tangible sense of heft when you move him, with his diving gear and boots. Eventually though you defy that weight as you get to grips with the controls, and he becomes a joy to skoosh about, almost like flying an underwater kite.

Also, the vibe is quite different to HK, although it can be equally unsettling. Whereas HK achieves this by juxtaposing the gothic and grotesque with cuteness, Shinsekai achieves the unsettling effect by straight up evoking weird 70s sci-fi animation from France which tends to be unsettling in its nature. It all sort of reminds me of Fantastic Planet. The proggy music and Yes album cover colour palettes just further emphasise that sort of feeling. It’s so great.

EDIT: it’s also far shorter than Hollow Knight! A nice tight wee digestible Metroidvania, comparable in length to Metroid Fusion maybe?

• Upvote 5

It looks fantastic. At a glance it reminds me of Exile, or more recently Capsized (I say recently, I think Capsized was 10 years ago at this point...).

Bit frustrating there's no PC or Xbox version yet.

• Upvote 1

Oh wow looks cool! Didn't know this was by ex-Capcom guys.
Will wait a bit for PC version and jump in later in the year whether it materialises on PC or not.

On 26/03/2020 at 17:56, Uncle Nasty said:

It's the best game I played last year

Wut???!

Bought.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, matt0 said:

At a glance it reminds me of Exile

I have been waiting for a game like Exile since I was 11!

7 hours ago, Triple A said:

Oh wow looks cool! Didn't know this was by ex-Capcom guys.
Will wait a bit for PC version and jump in later in the year whether it materialises on PC or not.

Not ex-Capcom. It's a Capcom game. :)

1 hour ago, kempstar said:

Wut???!

Bought.

Yeah, it was probably my favourite game of last year too.

• Upvote 1

On 26/03/2020 at 19:44, Calashnikov said:

It’s a stunning game. If you like your Metroidvanias alien, isolated and atmospheric this one is for you.

This sentence has done more for me than the snippet from the Direct, I think I'm in too.I'm a sucker for a good Metroidvania and the deep sea setting is both underdone and hugely appealing to me for some reason. 

• Upvote 1

I’m about three hours in on the Switch version and it’s terrific so far. The survival/resource management aspect is really well balanced. Not tight enough so that you’re constantly dying, but just enough that you have to keep one eye on your oxygen levels and always think about a route back. Lovely stuff.

• Upvote 5

It has that same annoying feature as Ori where sometimes you struggle to make out enemies from the background..

Otherwise it doesn't seem bad so far. I've only played an hour, but I want to see where it goes. 

This really extraordinary stuff. I’m about seven hours in and, aside from an hour long detour because I missed something really obvious, has been relentlessly amazing.

The sense of loneliness and isolation is superb. The trepidation you feel when you go just a little bit deeper. Brrrrrr.

I’ve just got to

Spoiler

The wrecked ship

Oh my days.

• Upvote 1