rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Treble

Paper Beast - Eric Chahi (Another World)'s new VR game

https://www.pixelreef.fr/paper-beast/

paper-beast-gif-giant-creature-two-column-01-ps4-en-11apr19_1554988778904.gif.0c6810a7e97ffe525572465697647225.gif

Poor old Eric Chahi.

He releases three full games in his entire career (Another World & From Dust being the others) and the publisher decides to launch it against Half-Life: Alyx, Doom Eternal and Corvid-19...

I don't think this will be lost to time, though. I would expect this - and Astro Bot - to lead the charge when the PSVR2 is finally released. It's an exclusive for now, not sure if this will change, but if you are aching for a new high-quality PSVR release, look no further.

I discuss this on the latest MHG podcast (due out today, Thurs 23rd March) in brief, and will do a full review, but essentially it's a surprising and lovely God/strategy/puzzle game with a unique physics engine. The world you are in is a visual representation of a complex equation your avatar is trying to solve (not a spoiler - this is explained immediately on starting the game) and my touchstones for gameplay are strategy games like Populous, and RTSs like Pikmin (I don't play these games as a rule, so don't have a deep pool of comparisons to draw from!)

You can use the Moves, but i've been using the pad (seated) as a break from standing in Alyx, and the controls are simple when you get them down: a line extends from your virtual pad and, like a fishing line, can attach to environmental objects and flora/fauna. Once 'hooked' you move the pad physically to move it around, and the dpad up/down to 'reel' things closer and further away. Simple, but easy. Movement is teleport.

There are no fail states, so you stay 'in' the puzzle until you solve it. This involves manipulating the environment - and titular ersatz beasts - to achieve the objective. There are aesthetic and atmospheric notes from the likes of ICO, SotC and Journey, but (so far, at least) there is no cruelty involved; you feel a sense of danger and urgency, but is a warm-hearted experience.

If you can afford it at its current £24.99 price, I'd say go for it. Even though these aren't my usual jam, Chahi's oblique and abstract approach makes it a very charming and immersive experience.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Treble said:

https://www.pixelreef.fr/paper-beast/

paper-beast-gif-giant-creature-two-column-01-ps4-en-11apr19_1554988778904.gif.0c6810a7e97ffe525572465697647225.gif

Poor old Eric Chahi.

He releases three full games in his entire career (Another World & From Dust being the others) and the publisher decides to launch it against Half-Life: Alyx, Doom Eternal and Corvid-19...

That seems a little harsh on the (gorgeous but pants) Future Wars and the (unfairly maligned) Heart of Darkness! 

This game looks interesting, though; will definitely give it a look if and when I ever get back from Japan. 

:) I consider Heart of Darkness to basically be DLC (EDIT: hey, I got that completely wrong! Didn't realise it was its own thing!) 

Future Wars is a Delphine team effort, no?

Got strong Black and White vibes from watching that. Looks lovely.

2 hours ago, Treble said:

Future Wars is a Delphine team effort, no?

Mostly Chahi and Paul Cuisset. Chahi was responsible for the best part of the game, though (the grafix).

• Upvote 2

Just read that now, and popped along to see if it had been posted. I wasn't sure what to make of the trailer, but that does make it sound very good indeed. I'm super-tempted, but still have so much to do in No Man's Sky...

On 26/03/2020 at 17:36, Nequests said:

Mostly Chahi and Paul Cuisset. Chahi was responsible for the best part of the game, though (the grafix).

I salute you  :hat:

The music was awesome as well imo.