rllmuk
mdn2

Edge 344 - Half Life: Alyx, Animal Crossing: NH, Dreams

On 21/03/2020 at 10:04, the_debaser said:

Are people actually playing Dreams? Seems to have dropped off the face of the planet. 

I bought it a couple of days after release (a little over a month ago) and other than Netflix / Prime Video, I've not loaded anything else up since. Have been working on a project in it the whole time, and usually start a session having a look through what others have released. It's an amazing set of tools.

• Upvote 1

Dreams seemed amazing at first - much like the stuff created in LBP. But then you realise that although some stuff looks amazing, there's no substance to it. It's all throwaway, at least the stuff I've managed to find. 

On 21/03/2020 at 11:00, Thor said:

I wonder how big Alyx is. Are we expecting something along the lines of Episode 2's length (according to steam I took 4 hours to finish it) or HL2 (13 hours for me)? I'm hoping it's somewhere between the two. 

Spoiler

15 hours

is the suggested length for this game

3 hours ago, Rayn said:

Reveal hidden contents

15 hours

is the suggested length for this game

Oh wow! 

I’m weirdly disappointed with Alex “only” getting a 9. I mean, it’s Valve going full VR with a new Half-Life. How does that not get a 10? 

• Upvote 1

I quite fancy a gander at this but don't want to go into town - is there any way to buy a single physical copy online? Short of subscribing and then cancelling?

They’ve apparently sold out of acoustic copies. Only digital available at the moment unfortunately.   

• Upvote 1

On 24/03/2020 at 12:13, Grobbelboy said:

I’m weirdly disappointed with Alex “only” getting a 9. I mean, it’s Valve going full VR with a new Half-Life. How does that not get a 10? 

As someone who only respected rather than loved Half Life 2, everything I've seen and read of Half Life: Alyx screams a 10 to me. I was super sceptical when it was announced but everything I've seen of it looks mindblowingly immersive and wonderful.

But no, can't upstage the latest Mm love-in, I guess.

• Empathy 1

I subscribe via Amazon Newsstand. Just got this email from them:

Greetings from Amazon,

We would like to inform you that the May 2020 edition of "Edge Magazine” is delayed as we have not received the inputs from the publisher end. We will publish the edition as soon as we receive the feeds from the Publisher.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for being a Kindle Newsstand Subscriber.

Best Regards,
The Amazon Newsstand Team

Anyone else? I'm assuming it's a corona-related delay.

HOT TAKE! BROKEN RECORD!

Half-Life was a 10.

Half-Life 2 was an 8 or 9 at best, it didn't really get going until Ravenholm. But loads of publications over-compensated for failing to give HL the credit it was due.

• Upvote 1

HL2 is a 10 today, let alone when it was released 37 years ago.

• Upvote 8

This mag is a fiver digital now?

9 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

HL2 is a 10 today, let alone when it was released 37 years ago.

37 years ago HL2 made advances in physics and NPC depiction, but introduced flaws which weren't present in the original game - it's strongest sections were when it returned to it's roots. It's less cohesive. It didn't spawn TFC & Counterstrike. It has those annoying drone enemies.

I wish they'd release Black Mesa on console, I'd much prefer to revisit it than the sequel.

23 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

HOT TAKE! BROKEN RECORD!

Half-Life was a 10.

Half-Life 2 was an 8 or 9 at best, it didn't really get going until Ravenholm. But loads of publications over-compensated for failing to give HL the credit it was due.

I think the first game definitely had a bigger cultural impact... but nobody reviewing it at the time had that kind of foresight. The scripted, set-piece driven gameplay is a staple of today’s shooters, but in the 90s few games went as far with it as HL1. :) 

• Upvote 2

On 24/03/2020 at 12:13, Grobbelboy said:

A few people in the thread have said that it’s not really got any major new features, it’s more how cohesive and polished it all is that makes it an amazing experience. Having watched a whole play through it doesn’t look very interesting, but tense VR experiences really don’t translate well to watching on YouTube. 

Edge give tens for massively innovative, brand new experiences, regardless of their flaws.

I think a lot about naively assuming I was about to be rescued when the military showed up in the original Half Life. That was great.

Be under no illusions, HL: Alyx is fucking mega. And just based on my five hours with it - very, very deserving of a 10. 

I could not have had any of the experiences I had with it in any other medium other than VR, and the way it all hangs together is downright magical. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Broker said:

Edge give tens for massively innovative, brand new experiences, regardless of their flaws.

But do they?

[Insert your own examples here]

6 hours ago, Broker said:

A few people in the thread have said that it’s not really got any major new features, it’s more how cohesive and polished it all is that makes it an amazing experience. Having watched a whole play through it doesn’t look very interesting, but tense VR experiences really don’t translate well to watching on YouTube. 

Eeehhh, not quite. I said in the thread there's nothing new mechanically in Alyx, because there genuinely isn't. Mechanically there's nothing in the game that strictly speaking hasn't been done in other normal/VR games. But what Valve has done is taken those mechanics and made "massively innovative" use of them. :)

There's a stunning level of innovation in Alyx, taking serious advantage of this new medium's capabilities and, more importantly, its potential applications, despite having to remain within the confines of the medium's current limitations. People will be playing Half Life: Alyx for years to come; Dreams will likely barely be a footnote.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone else subscribe through the Kindle app? If you do, have you got the latest issue yet? I got sent an email from Amazon last week saying Edge would be late this month and it hasn't shown up in the app yet. :(