The Free Games Thread - Add them to your account - Keep Forever

Flight of the Amazon Queen has always been free. So has Beneath a Steel Sky, Teen Agent, Tyrian 2000, various Ultima games and Lure of the Temptress, amongst others.

The Samurai Shodown Neo Geo Collection is free (to keep) on the Epic store for one week. From what I'm hearing it's basically unplayable online at present, which will be a major let-down for many, but for a 1P wonder who plays fighting games mainly to look at and listen to them, this is a huge freebie. The museum stuff is amazing.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/samurai-shodown-neogeo-collection/home?sessionInvalidated=true

If you already own Witcher III on Xbox or PS4 then you can get it for free on PC for the next week. You need to install GOG Galaxy 2.0 and then link it to your PSN or Xbox Live account. It should recognise Witcher III in your console games library straightaway, then you can claim it by clicking on the banner on the homepage. Worked for me! If you have the vanilla version then you get the vanilla version, but if you have the GOTY version on console then you get the GOTY PC version. I've got the vanilla version on console, plus the season pass for the two DLCs, but unfortunately GOG doesn't seem to recognise that. Still, free Witcher is better than no Witcher.

GOG.com are currently giving away the Eye of the Beholder Trilogy!

Not a franchise I’ve ever played, I went straight from Dungeon Master to Ultima Underworld, so it’ll be good to try these.

Hell yes! I've been meaning to play Eye of the Beholder for a long time - despite a general fascination with first-person dungeon crawling I've played few of the big 'Western' classics. I'll have to see if I can get Yuzo's soundtrack playing in this version... :D

On 18/06/2020 at 18:37, StoooTube said:

GOG.com are currently giving away the Eye of the Beholder Trilogy!

Not a franchise I’ve ever played, I went straight from Dungeon Master to Ultima Underworld, so it’ll be good to try these.

Balls, missed this. 

On 19/06/2020 at 10:58, mdn2 said:

Injustice: Gods Among Us is free on Xbox 360 at the minute. It's backwards compatible.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Injustice-Gods-Among-Us/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80257520829?noSplash=1

On 19/06/2020 at 11:37, papalazarou said:

A lot of the dlc packs are all free :-)

Looks like it's just some of the character skins and compatibility packs that are free, not the extra characters. (At least on Xbox.)

There's a free piece of Man of Steel/General Zod DLC that appears to be an extra character, but I downloaded it and wondered why he wasn't a selectable character - then I looked at the in-game DLC description and saw that the Zod character is a separate one you have to pay for.

Never having played a Netherrealm Studios game (the last Mortal Kombat game I played was 3), the game seems really clunky and unresponsive compared to most Japanese fighting games I've played. It feels like lots of inputs are getting swallowed with no feedback; jump arcs are awkward; there doesn't seem to be a very instinctive connection between the direction you press in conjunction with a button and the attack that it triggers; and the CPU AI seems to fluctuates between successfully carrying out fluid strings of deadly attacks, and standing directly in front of my character whiffing attacks and repeatedly letting itself get swept.

I really like the NetherRealm games, both Injustice and Mortal Kombat. I find Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter et al impenetrable, and have done for years now, where these are much easier to get into and I even do alright online.

Twitch games for July have been announced

Five games will be free to claim starting July 1: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Dear Esther, Grip: Combat Racing, Kunai, and Dark Devotion. To claim them, you simply need to link your Twitch account to your Amazon Prime account.

Pretty happy with those. Kunai and Dark Devotion were both on my wishlist :)