IGNORED

The Free Games Thread - Add them to your account - Keep Forever

Goose

Looks like the final 3 games from the Epic Christmas run have been all but confirmed:

Moving Out

Salt and Sanctuary

The Tomb Raider Trilogy (2013 reboot + its 2 sequels)

Interesting to see how the selection of games they've managed to secure has evolved over the last 3 years, they seem to be throwing more money at the problem every year, not less.

Epic have killed any interest in Humble Bundle for me, alongside other factors (like poor monthly selections the past few years) - so many games I got from HB have shown up as freebies on Epic in the past 2 years+.

I just finished playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider in the past week. That was a game where I pulled the trigger on a monthly bundle for $12 with whatever else they were offering at the time. What was a bargain back then is a freebie now. For someone like me who is always a few years behind the release curve, I'm just inundated with top tier stuff for free now.  Other humble deals included Control, Batman series, Hitman, Frostpunk, and that's just the top-of-mind games I've played. 

I've already played them but the Tomb Raider trilogy for free is fantastic. I love those games - switch brain off, enjoy lovely visuals and help Lara murder hundreds of people. 

Yeah This last freebie selection from Epic is making me reconsider whether I am over killing my current subscriptions on PC as I have either already bought, already own through Humble or already played on Gamepass for all but a handful. This goes ditto for Amazon Prime gaming.

Thing is the minute I stop there will be stuff turn up on Humble that doesn’t appear elsewhere and whilst I have literally no time time to play all the content I get from (deep breath) Humble Choice, Gamepass, Ubi+, Origin Premier, Amazon Prime Gaming, Epic freebies, I kind of like the reassurance that it is all there ready for me when I want to play any given game.

On the bright side I rarely actually need to buy anymore…only I tend to do that too!

Oh and the modern Tomb Raider trilogy is brilliant. The first is the best but all three are excellent popcorn chomping gaming events. I rarely replay anything but I’ve played the 2013 reboot through 4 times now.

Cancelled Humble Bundle for good in the end after pausing most months and occasionally forgetting here and there. I remember when there was always at least one “big” game every month.  Not the case anymore plus like you say other stores have stepped up their game. 

I started a 12-month Humble Bundle when they changed their delivery method - late 2019? And I still have 6 months of it left due to pausing (that would be 7 months but I made a mistake and redeemed the latest one :angry:). It's been really, really poor, even ignoring anything Epic has given away.

That said, I've ignored most of the Epic giveaways too as they generally aren't games that have interested me/I've already played (Game Pass). Out of this Christmas bunch I've only redeemed Shenmue 3 (even though I don't like Shenmue and will never play it); other stuff I'm either not interested in, own or is available to me elsewhere.

12 hours ago, mushashi said:

Interesting to see how the selection of games they've managed to secure has evolved over the last 3 years, they seem to be throwing more money at the problem every year, not less.

What was interesting from the Apple vs Epic lawsuit was how much they paid for the games they gave away in the first year or so - it wasn't all that much at all; many were under £1m, from memory and even the biggest was only about £5m I think? I don't remember what games were included back then but I'm sure there were some big hitters.

Even out of this batch, how many of them probably cost much? The Tomb Raider games as a package might, but even then you are looking at games that are years old and have very little shelf life. The indie games won't have been too expensive I don't think, Prey was a flop at the time (as was Shenmue 3) etc. I don't think it's probably as expensive as you think.

I do wonder how much longer they will keep doing it though, given that it doesn't actually seem to generate any money for the store.

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

What was interesting from the Apple vs Epic lawsuit was how much they paid for the games they gave away in the first year or so - it wasn't all that much at all; many were under £1m, from memory and even the biggest was only about £5m I think? I don't remember what games were included back then but I'm sure there were some big hitters.

Even out of this batch, how many of them probably cost much? The Tomb Raider games as a package might, but even then you are looking at games that are years old and have very little shelf life. The indie games won't have been too expensive I don't think, Prey was a flop at the time (as was Shenmue 3) etc. I don't think it's probably as expensive as you think.

I do wonder how much longer they will keep doing it though, given that it doesn't actually seem to generate any money for the store.

You can just compare the type of games they game away for the last 3 Christmases, this year is a notable step-up and all 3 periods have had repeats:

2019:

Dec 31, 2019 - Jan 1, 2020: Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Dec 30 - Dec 31, 2019: Hello Neighbor

Dec 29 - Dec 30, 2019: Talos Principle

Dec 28 - Dec 29, 2019: Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Dec 27 - Dec 28, 2019: Hyper Light Drifter

Dec 26 - Dec 27, 2019: FTL: Faster Than Light

Dec 25 - Dec 26, 2019: Totally Accurate Battle Simulator

Dec 24 - Dec 25, 2019: Celeste

Dec 23 - Dec 24, 2019: Ape Out

Dec 22 - Dec 23, 2019: Little Inferno

Dec 21 - Dec 22, 2019: Superhot

Dec 20 - Dec 21, 2019: Towerfall Ascension

Dec 19 - Dec 20, 2019: Into The Breach

2020:

Dec 31, 2020 - Jan 7 2021: Jurassic World Evolution

December 30, 2020: Torchlight 2

December 29, 2020: Solitairica

December 28, 2020: Stranded Deep

December 27, 2020: Night In The Woods

December 26, 2020: My Time At Portia

December 25, 2020: Darkest Dungeon

December 24, 2020: Inside

December 23, 2020: Tropico 5

December 22, 2020: Metro: Redux

December 21, 2020: Alien Isolation

December, 20, 2020: Defense Grid: The Awakening

December 19, 2020: The Long Dark

December 18, 2020: Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

December 17, 2020: Cities: Skylines

2021:

Dec 27, 2021: Mages of Mystralia

Dec 26, 2021: Control

Dec 25, 2021: Prey

Dec 24, 2021: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Dec 23, 2021: Vampyr

Dec 22, 2021: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden

Dec 21, 2021: Second Extinction

Dec 20, 2021: Loop Hero

Dec 19, 2021: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Dec 18, 2021: Remnant: From the Ashes

Dec 17, 2021: Neon Abyss

Dec 16, 2021: Shenmue 3

Moving Out

Salt and Sanctuary

The Tomb Raider Trilogy (2013 reboot + its 2 sequels) - only one not 100% confirmed still.

2019 was basically entirely indie efforts, 2020 had some mid-tier in the selection, while this year has had several premium-tier games so I'd say they were spending more this time.

I was thinking Amazon were seeming like they were planning to make a major push for hearts and minds, but based on the rumoured line-up for next month, it was a very short lived push apparently.

@mushashi Yeah, I didn't care enough to check but you're right, this year has seen a step-up. I'm still not convinced it has necessarily cost all that much though; most of the stuff is at least a couple of years old, many of them have been available elsewhere (Humble, Game Pass etc) and only Control and Tomb Raider (if they come) would be considered AAA, with the rest all mid-tier and below.

I also realise that I only claimed one game from 2019 (Hyper Light Drifter - never played, but might one day) and none from 2020 to go along with Shenmue 3 this year (which will never be played, and definitely won't). I do visit the store each day to see if the leaks are correct, so I am adding to that metric for Epic I guess - and to be fair I did buy a couple of games due to the voucher, so they've had something out of me.

20 hours ago, Hawklord said:

Compare what they've spent on giving the games away to what they would have spent on marketing for their store. Now all they have to "market" is...here's a freebie. Call it a loss leader if you like

Oh yeah, I know why they do it, but it hasn't really helped them at all - the last few years they've released stats to everybody on how the Epic store is doing and they had basically no growth during 2020 (when pretty much every other games store saw massive jumps) and it showed that people claim the games but nobody sticks around to buy anything on the store - their revenue (not profit) outside of Fortnite money was really, really bad, IIRC. 

It will be interesting if they publish the same 'year in review' type thing this year.

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration includes the base game and Season Pass featuring all-new content. Explore Croft Manor in the new “Blood Ties” story, then defend it against a zombie invasion in “Lara’s Nightmare”.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/rise-of-the-tomb-raider

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

In Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition experience the final chapter of Lara’s origin as she is forged into the Tomb Raider she is destined to be.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider

Tomb Raider GOTY

Armed only with raw instincts and the ability to push beyond the limits of human endurance, Lara must fight to unravel the dark history of a forgotten island to escape its relentless hold.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/tomb-raider

Gods Will Fall

The gods’ torturous rule over humanity has lasted for millennia. Bent on cruelty and suffering, they demand to be served with blind worship through an oath of fealty pledged from every man, woman and child. To those who don't submit to the gods’ will; a slow and merciless death awaits.
Experience the brutal trials of a venturous band of warriors in their desperate plight to sever the gods’ callous grip on humanity. Every man and woman who can muster a blade, having suffered the brutality of the gods’ reign for too long, will be called upon to form your clan of 8 Celtic survivors and rise up to take on the legions of horrific beasts and minions that dwell in each of the gods’ hellish realms.
A personal tale emerges with every decision made. Succeed and see legends born. Fail, and watch lives turn to dust.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/gods-will-fall

Galactic Civilizations III

What if one day, humans woke up to find that they weren’t alone in the galaxy? They make their way into space and discover other alien civilizations with their own histories and motivations looking to make a name for themselves. Choose your race - Human, Drengin, Altarian, and so many more - and lead your civilization into a golden age in one of the largest 4X strategy games ever made!

Research new technology, design starships, and colonize new worlds as you face threats and conquer challenges from new and mysterious sources. Negotiate trade and treaties, wage wars, spy on your enemies, and promote outstanding citizens. And when you've finished that, play again as one of the many included alien civilizations each with its own history, technology tree, ship components, and more.

Galactic Civilizations III now bundles in the Crusade and Retribution expansions, plus the Mega Events add-on content for an even greater gameplay experience! Join the ranks of galactic leaders today, and answer the question: how will you rule your galaxy?

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/galactic-civilizations-iii

Relicta

Relicta is a first-person physics-based puzzle game where you need to creatively combine magnetism and gravity to unravel the secrets of Chandra Base. Alone in the depths of the Moon, your scientific mind is the only thing that can keep your daughter alive …

Play as a top physicist stranded on an eerie, derelict Moon base. Find your way around the enigmatic, terraformed craters by bending gravity and magnetism to your will in order to solve physical puzzles. Will you rush straight ahead and try to reach safety - or will you take your time to gather clues and unravel the intrigues of 22nd century orbital politics? Buried in the eternal darkness of the lunar craters lies a secret that might claim your daughter’s life - or change the fate of humanity forever. Are you ready to face the ultimate consequences of your research?

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/relicta

DAEMON X MACHINA

"Welcome to your battlefield."

You are an Outer, a new breed of human being that appeared in the aftermath of the Moonfall calamity. As a mercenary for the Orbital organization, you are on the front line of a desperate war for humanity's survival against the Immortals—corrupted AIs that have rebelled against their human creators. Piloting a fully customizable mech known as an Arsenal, you must team up with mercenaries like yourself and complete missions to defeat the Immortals once and for all. But be careful—in a war fought by mercenaries, today's allies can become tomorrow's enemies.

From the visionary minds of Kenichiro Tsukuda and trailblazing mech designer Shoji Kawamori comes a new generation of high-speed mech action combat.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/daemon-x-machina

Seems to be some free dlc too.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/all-dlc/daemon-x-machina

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a brand-new platform adventure from some of the key creative talent behind 'Donkey Kong Country'. With their arch-nemesis Capital B up to no good the buddy duo needs to spring into action once again to save the day!

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/yooka-laylee-and-the-impossible-lair

5 hours ago, fragglerock said:

Thanks for always posting these. I’m fed up of Hotukdeals racing to post the deals as early as possible which means by the time the deal becomes active it’s no longer on their pages as hot so it gets missed. So again thanks for posting these when they’re actually active to get!

Black Widow: Recharged

Defend your spider web from an onslaught of bugs in this frenetic revival of the cult classic twin-stick shooter, all while jamming to an infectious score by Megan McDuffee. Play solo or tag in a friend for local co-op across 30 challenges or the arcade mode.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/black-widow-recharged

Centipede: Recharged

Blast bugs and chase high scores in this glorious revival of an old-school classic, all while jamming to a heart-pounding original score by Megan McDuffee. Play solo or tag in a friend for local co-op across 30 unique challenges or the endless arcade mode.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/centipede-recharged