The Free Games Thread - Add them to your account - Keep Forever

13 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

@Jamie John Squadrons and Tetris work fine on VR. The functionality is built in so they connect through the usual methods. Paper Beast should but they did release a VR free version and I'm not sure if they are separate SKUs. 

Yep - it's the 'folded' version of Paper Beast, so non-VR. I might get Squadrons, if that's the case. If it doesn't work, I can always refund it.

13 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

The big problem with this is that I don't have any friends at all on Ubisoft. For a game that's all about challenging your friends' times, that's... not ideal. 

Feel free to add me Stooo1979

I’ve not played a Trials game since the original 360 version a million years ago, but this version is pretty cool. I’m rubbish but still enjoying it!

I've got a massive library of free games now, the vast majority I haven't touched yet and a number of them seem to be worth a playthrough.

Even with Epic's brilliant £10 'coupon' I can't see the point of buying more games at £3.99+ as when the heck am I going to play them all? I suspect if I bought a few now, come next Christmas (or the next 'giveaway' period) they'll be given away for free, before I've even loaded them up. It's great, but, utterly ridiculous! 

It has to be affecting normal sales surely?

I get games from Prime every month, Epic freebies, gog.com regularly give away games. For Christ’s sake even game pass starts to look like poor value when you have all these free games. Most of them are well reviewed games too, it’s not like they are giving you complete rubbish.

The constant stream of free pc games from epic, twitch prime and a bunch of other places, and the number of games I've built up have had several effects. It's completely put me off buying random stuff in steam sales. It's prevented me from buying various full price indies on switch after realising I've already got them on epic/twitch. More recently, it's a major factor that's making me rethink the importance of even getting a ps5/series x since I'm not into the aaa cinematic stuff.

Gamepass would look a lot more appealing if it wasn't for all the free(to keep) pc games I get every month.

Surely Epic and the like are paying the games companies for the privilege and both are getting the benefits. The games given away are often on there because there's additional DLC or a sequel to pitch. People are still buying full price as well. Is there any genuine outcry from developers or publishers that it's ruining the industry?

On 01/01/2021 at 09:06, James Lyon said:

Surely Epic and the like are paying the games companies for the privilege and both are getting the benefits. The games given away are often on there because there's additional DLC or a sequel to pitch. People are still buying full price as well. Is there any genuine outcry from developers or publishers that it's ruining the industry?

Given the high profile games they manage to convince to give away, including the biggest selling big budget game of all time, which is still selling copies, it would seem nobody is too bothered about taking Tim Sweeney's personal cheques as of yet.

I'm more surprised they haven't scaled it back yet, over 2 years and they haven't announced a cessation of major combat operations against Gabe Newell's Valve yet. No idea how much market share they've managed to grab since launch, but I'd love to know.

The self-publishing angle they began to pursue last year is an interesting new front, some potential classics they've got signed up from developers with some of the best pedigrees in the business.