I'm surprised there's no topic for this yet but here we are, the remake of Seiken Densetsu 3, aka Secret of Mana 2 aka Trials of Mana is coming out in April and there's a demo available now, for Switch at the least. I've played it for a while and it seems like a very faithful remake of the original SNES game, if a little low-budget compared to something like Dragon Quest XI, keeping the colourful charm and lovely music of the old game and tarting it up for modern tech. The battle system has had a bit of an overhaul too, feeling much better than the clunky 16bit version, and it's worth keeping an eye out for the eventual release. Here's a long video of the Switch demo if you don't want to download it yourself.

I've downloaded the demo on PS4. Honestly I'm not expecting all that much, both because the Mana remake seemed kind of pointless and visually lacked the original's charm, and this could easily be the same, and because SD3 was just never as good as SoM in the first place.

But I'll give it a go and hope to be nicely surprised.

Played some of the demo. Can't say I'm a fan. It just looks weird taking the pixel art character designs and blowing them up into 3D. And I didn't check but I hope there's a Japanese voiceover option, because the American voices are horrendous. The combat might be OK.

I like this a lot. I was initially skeptical being a big fan of the original game, but there's a lot of love gone into this (albeit with an obvious low budget). The area layout is familiar despite being 3D and even the innkeepers still do their funky little dance. Combat feels good, the voices and artwork are fine imo and it's just a nice simple game to play and switch off all the current shite. Demo has sold me.

5 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Played some of the demo. Can't say I'm a fan. It just looks weird taking the pixel art character designs and blowing them up into 3D. And I didn't check but I hope there's a Japanese voiceover option, because the American voices are horrendous. The combat might be OK.

Aye there is a Japanese language option, even in the demo.

I played 10 minutes of this on Switch and thought it looked really promising, it's going to have to wait until I finish the original (only just started) though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else playing this?

I thought it was going to be a bigger release than it turned out to be, but despite the lack of interest it's a brilliant remake of the SNES game, done on a modest budget that makes it feel like a lost JRPG from Square's PS2 golden age.

There's a ton of dungeons and towns, it looks great, combat is good, the music is fantastic and best of all once you've completed it you can play it all again with a totally different team of three characters, which changes a number of plot elements as well as the main antagonist.

It needs more love. Buy it!

I've bought the Switch version, but it's on hold till after a Xenoblade Chronicles DE playthrough. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. 

4 hours ago, Trumpets said:

Anyone else playing this?

I thought it was going to be a bigger release than it turned out to be, but despite the lack of interest it's a brilliant remake of the SNES game, done on a modest budget that makes it feel like a lost JRPG from Square's PS2 golden age.

There's a ton of dungeons and towns, it looks great, combat is good, the music is fantastic and best of all once you've completed it you can play it all again with a totally different team of three characters, which changes a number of plot elements as well as the main antagonist.

It needs more love. Buy it!

would love to! Looks amazing, too many games not enough time. 

I bought it....and it got lost on the post :(

So I had to wait for it to be officially lost and by that time...they’d sold out so I got my money back :(

Every other shop had sold out by that time too (PS4 version) so I was left watching eBay auctions to try and pick it up. Just won one at an over the odds price, so it’s on the way...again.

I've been playing it and really enjoying it. In fact, despite enjoying FF7 Remake, I'm enjoying this more :ph34r:

It's a shame that at times it does look a little basic, but its a nice big world, lots of towns and people to meet. As Trumpets says, feels like an old school JRPG....which is a winner in my book :) 

Quite far into this now. Hunting Benevodons, of which I’ve done 6.

This is sooooo much easier than the original. I’m not sure how it compares to other modern day rpgs but the vast amount of items, the auto-save, the pots everywhere make it much more easy going.

I’m still not sure about the fighting. sometimes I think it’s okay, sometimes I don’t.

I think my main beef is the camera, it feels all over the place and I find it hard to see what’s going on. When everyone is attacking and there’s multiple enemies running around it turns into a bit of a mash fest. I don’t feel fully in control of the situation.
Still, there’s nice bits too. The red warning areas of enemy attacks are cool, and it feels satisfying to dodge out of the way. Ditto landing one of your combos for some chunky damage.

I stopped playing the secret of mana remake because I was getting annoyed with the AI and this is no different. You rely on them to do certain things and when they don’t and they die because of it, it’s hella annoying. One classic example was watching the AI try new dodge the attacks of the boss on the boat. I literally stood to the side and watched the AI get itself lynched when all it had to do was stand next to me.

I sound like I’m moaning but I’m not. I am finding it pretty compelling and I’m definitely enjoying playing it. The music has kept the original very much in mind too and is amazing!

Reading up it sound like there’s a whole NG+ which could be interesting. However having 6 individual stories would mean 6 playthroughs which I’m not sure I’m ready to take on.

I got the demo of this and there was a lot to like... except the absolutely tiny text. I want to play in handheld mode and after 30mins play my eyes were really straining. It’s a shame as I think I’d really like this. 

I played through the demo this week and thought it was really good. I thought the graphics were nice and I enjoyed the simplicity of it all - always having a destination on the map and a note on where you’re heading (can’t recall if that was always displayed under the map or just at certain points). No way I’ll buy it for £50 but if it drops to half or less I might bite. How long is one play through of the story roughly?

17 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I played through the demo this week and thought it was really good. I thought the graphics were nice and I enjoyed the simplicity of it all - always having a destination on the map and a note on where you’re heading (can’t recall if that was always displayed under the map or just at certain points). No way I’ll buy it for £50 but if it drops to half or less I might bite. How long is one play through of the story roughly?

I’d say between 20-25 hours.

There is a NG+ and different endings too. Depends if you want to do that though.

I’ve just finished it. Enjoyed it overall but it is probably a bit too easy.

I played it on normal and apart for 1-2 sticky points I absolutely smashed it. Even the last boss went down first time with me only using 1 cup of wishes. 95% of the stuff I collected through out the game I never used as I just didn’t need it. Wouldn’t care but there’s an easy and a very easy mode too! 

It’s hard to tell as I don’t really play these types of games, so I’m not sure what’s considered ‘Normal’.

I only got 35% of the trophies so there’s more to do, if I wanted.

Its a game that’s been on my list for a while. I’ve played to SNES version a couple of times but never finished it so always wanted to see the game out (in some form). Tempted to have another shot at the SNES one to see how it compares.

• 2 months later...

Just started this now. It looks really cheap but I get why and I'm not complaining, and after an hour it's a lot of fun once you get used to the momentum of movement. I finished the SNES version a couple of months back and thought it was sublime so this should be interesting from that perspective if nothing else - an hour in it's certainly done a good job of modernising/streamlining a lot of the little niggles that stand out in the early game of it. Promising.

OK, five hours in now and starting to really hate the camera to the point I might quit - and maybe would have already if not for the novelty of seeing how they’ve remade one of my favourite classic RPGs. It’s not just me is it? The lock-on is helpful but once you defeat one event it doesn’t cycle to the next so you have to hunt for them while potentially getting smacked. In internal locations I’ve found myself taking a surprising amount of damage from standard enemies I just couldn’t see. Probably made worse by being a melee character. 

I've just started this and after Xenoblade, it does feel very cheap. That's not necessarily a bad thing - I've completed far cheaper RPGs before.  I'm only a couple of hours in and my team consists of Duran, Angela and Charlotte, but the way Charlotte talks is weally, weally iwwitating. But the game is only meant to be short and that's kinda what I'm looking for now. 

Oh she's a colossal pain in the arse. I'm using the same team I used on the SNES version of Hawkeye, Kevin and Charlotte just to compare them and I'd completely forgotten how iwwitating she was.

Yeah, the cheapness is acceptable given what it is. I can live with it. I find the tone really reminiscent of Dragon Quest though which puts it into sharp relief by comparison but that's my brain's doing, not theirs. Still not convinced by the AI in combat which might become an issue later though.

• 2 weeks later...

And finished at 22 hours. Even though it's fairly short as far as JRPGs go, the last 5 hours or so really dragged it out. And it's ridiculously easy - I didn't see the game over screen once. But even though it was slight, I enjoyed it as a light-hearted JRPG. Although Charlotte needs to die horribly in a fire.