The Midnight Gospel - Pendleton Ward

JohnC

New Netflix adult animation from Pendleton Ward and Duncan Trussell. Starts 20 April.

The Midnight Gospel, a show about Clancy, a slacker 'space-caster' who lives in another dimension called 'The Chromatic Ribbon.' This is a place where simulation farmers use powerful bio-computers to simulate universes where they harvest technology. Because Clancy isn't taking care of his universe simulator, all the planets within it are going through their own unique apocalypse, and the beings living in these other worlds are the guests Clancy interviews for his Space-Cast 'The Midnight Gospel.' Over the course of the series, these conversations slowly begin to awaken Clancy to the reality of the impact he’s having on the worlds, both inside and outside of his simulator.

Animation looks kind of choppy, but the actual artwork is really cool looking.

I pretty much binge watched the entirety of Steven Universe recently, this will make an interesting counterpoint.

Oh and it's releasing on 4/20 GET IT GUISE?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just started watching this. Looks really lovely in places (nice, speckly airbrushed art style), and it’s great that it’s so different to Adventure Time. 

But OH MY GOD it is so unbelievably off its tits. Absolute acid trip insanity. Makes Adventure Time look like a BBC4 documentary about crop rotation.

Me and my son sat there open mouthed at what we were watching. Amazing though. 

Anyone else watching?

27 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

I have just started watching this. Looks really lovely in places (nice, speckly airbrushed art style), and it’s great that it’s so different to Adventure Time. 

But OH MY GOD it is so unbelievably off its tits. Absolute acid trip insanity. Makes Adventure Time look like a BBC4 documentary about crop rotation.

Me and my son sat there open mouthed at what we were watching. Amazing though. 

Anyone else watching?

Watched it all and loved it. It gets quite moving later on tbh. 

Good Lord, episode 2. The first one was a whacky, psychedelic trip, this one was horrific. Imagine Pink Floyd’s The Wall, crossed with Yellow Submarine, the pinball machine from Sesame Street, and an abattoir. 

Deeply disturbing, but I was transfixed. 

The dialogue seems reminiscent of a late night Channel 4 philosophy chat show from the 80s. 

Im utterly perplexed, but fascinated. And the invention going on really is something else. 

I don’t know what Netflix were expecting, but I’m not sure it was this. It’s like when a band on a major label releases some impenetrable genius that barely anyone can get their head around. 

• 9 months later...

This is outstanding and comfortably one of the best things I’ve seen on Netflix or ever. I’m disappointed to see Netflix have cancelled it whilst the creator had one more season in mind.

It really spoke to my faded mind in a way no other program has. 10/10 for me.

It's got to a point where I now automatically expect that anything I actually like on streaming networks will be cancelled before they've had any sort of chance to be successful.

I fucking hate them.