IGNORED

Will the PS5 wear the Power Crown ?

Boozy The Clown

Will the PS5 wear the Power Crown ?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/03/20 at 18:58

It sounds like it was 9.whatever TF the original leak was until they stuck this "Boost" overclock mode on it.

I think this coming gen might be a bit of a headache for multiplatform devs to be honest, two wildly different SSD speeds (one of which is also shared with PC), a bigger % power gap than Xbone/PS4 (which you can make smaller, but only if you start building power management code into your game, like with mobile development, for a single platform).

For comparison:

6,400 developers will suffer chronic health conditions as a result of crunching to leverage the power of the Series X versus only 3,400 for PS 5.

If that's a little abstract to grasp then consider Dynasty Warriors 10 will have 15,670 on screen enemies on Series X while the PS5 will manage only a paltry 13,450.

It's not all bad news for Playstation fans though. EDF 6 will run at an average of 14 FPS on Microsoft's new machine but Sony's next gen system will manage a silky smooth 16 FPS. That's 2 extra frames per second!

4 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

It sounds like it was 9.whatever TF the original leak was until they stuck this "Boost" overclock mode on it.

I think this coming gen might be a bit of a headache for multiplatform devs to be honest, two wildly different SSD speeds (one of which is also shared with PC), a bigger % power gap than Xbone/PS4 (which you can make smaller, but only if you start building power management code into your game, like with mobile development, for a single platform).

I/O throughput is a factor of two: fill 16GB of ram in 2 or 4 seconds. Meaningful in some games (probably those with really large budgets for assets) but I suspect not that many.

Be really interesting in the ones it is though: Sony’s approach almost sounds like cartridge level speeds.

The power budget thing just seems like a load more profiling work.

6 minutes ago, footle said:

I/O throughput is a factor of two: fill 16GB of ram in 2 or 4 seconds. Meaningful in some games (probably those with really large budgets for assets) but I suspect not that many.

Be really interesting in the ones it is though: Sony’s approach almost sounds like cartridge level speeds.

The power budget thing just seems like a load more profiling work.

My guess is that is the I/O is really that seamless, there'll be indie games that will build around some sort of fast asset change gimmick as well as the big budget ones.

I'd prize zero loading times over another 5FPS and better resolution though. Though my real prize is not have to wait an hour with system and game downloads when I boot something up. This gen is appalling and my broadband is shit. 

Just now, kensei said:

My guess is that is the I/O is really that seamless, there'll be indie games that will build around some sort of fast asset change gimmick as well as the big budget ones.

I'd prize zero loading times over another 5FPS and better resolution though. Though my real prize is not have to wait an hour with system and game downloads when I boot something up. This gen is appalling and my broadband is shit. 

your indie game would need AAA game content creation budgets then. That’s really why I think the value might be limited.

in terms of download speeds, has PSN got any better recently? I haven’t tried turning it on for a couple of months.

1 hour ago, kensei said:

How shit? I finally got round to sticking my mates account back on my box after upgrading to a One X, it took 3 whole fucking DAYS !!! To install the 110 GB that Gears 5, Ori Will of the Wisps and Wolfenstein II take up, that's proper shit :-(

3 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

How shit? I finally got round to sticking my mates account back on my box after upgrading to a One X, it took 3 whole fucking DAYS !!! To install the 110 GB that Gears 5, Ori Will of the Wisps and Wolfenstein II take up, that's proper shit :-(

Hardly Microsoft's fault if you have crap internet though. And why didn't you use an external HDD to back them up on?

3 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Hardly Microsoft's fault if you have crap internet though. And why didn't you use an external HDD to back them up on?

Oh, I know, I used to have decent internet in the office, but the chaps next door moved their router too far away and now I can't get it from the Xbox :-(

As for transfering the files, I didn't have any of these ones on the old machine, so they all had to be a fresh install, but, fun fact, if you set up a new machine, you can network into the old one and transfer across your games and files, which was really fucking handy, MS did a good job on that one, was pretty similar to setting up a new iPhone in that regard, I signed in, it asked if I wanted to move stuff across via the network and off it went :)

But yes, shit internet is the bane of my existence :(

23 hours ago, David Kenny said:

The measure should be total number of flops sold. So while Sony might sell more units, Microsoft could sneak ahead with a more powerful console!

SKFLUPS

(Stock Keeping Floating Point Units Per Second)

9 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Mobile Internet was the only viable option the last time I renewed. About 20MB with a hard limit of 750GB a month. Could be worse but large updates break my heart. 

8 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Seriously don't click if you are sane. I'm laughing my dick off though. 

When I was trying to find the official stream, there were a bunch of "we'll talk over it live ones", on the front page, I can't imagine what most of them ended up being like.

The Giantbomb one was just stunned silence and heavy sighs.

I thought it was fine. And after watching the DF video I’m now more excited by PS5 because of the blazing SSD and its potential novel uses and their 3d audio. Looking forward to what a 12tf GPU can do too.

On 17/03/2020 at 20:59, GamesGamesGames said:

Last gen was Sony's by the only metric that matters - one Yharnam to nil. Who knows what the next will bring?

This is the truest. 

The only game to make PS4 essential. The other Sony 'big hitters', whatever they are, are of almost zero interest to me but Bloodborne is as good as gaming gets. On any platform. 

13 minutes ago, Mike S said:

This is the truest. 

The only game to make PS4 essential. The other Sony 'big hitters', whatever they are, are of almost zero interest to me but Bloodborne is as good as gaming gets. On any platform. 

I need to go find out how to summon people.  I'm still stuck on father fucking gascoigne