Phantasy Star Online 2 - You always Double Down on Ship 2

5 hours ago, Siri said:

So, me and THE BOYS are looking at the preload this morning:

- Again, game is only available on the US Microsoft Store. Don't be like the dweebs on twitter, and just change your region.
- Game will start a 11gb download. spoilers: Not the full game.
- After that, you can run the game. This seems to have it's own launcher, so... maybe it's not UWP? That doesn't make much sense, mind, because the game needs to use *something* to enable Play Anywhere. Anyway, that will download the remainder of the client. Should be about the same size as the standard JP client at the time (EDIT: Reports are stating it's about 70gig following the update which is accurate to the JP client at the time, so keep that in mind)

Dear god i forgot how fucking SHITE the download speeds on the Microsoft store really are. 

11GB took long enough, but the way this going it's going to be tomorrow by the time my install has finished.

I really don't understand why the store is so slow!

How To Increase Download Speed of the App Store

Hit windows key and type "Settings"

Click "Settings"

Click "Update & Security"

Under Update settings Click "Advanced options"

Click "Delivery Optimization"

Click "Advanced options"

Under Download settings there is a checkbox for "Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the background". Make sure the box is checked and set slider to 100%.

For whatever reason having this unchecked limits the download speed.

2 hours ago, Siri said:

Nope. Only X-Box players need Gold.

Cool, it's patching now, we last played PSO together on the GameCube

If anyone has issues with the game launching, check to see if you have any monitoring software installed at all.  I had to disable CAM, Argus and MSI Afterburner before the game would run.  Otherwise it wouldn't even get to main menu.

12 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Right im finally online on the PC version, gt in sig!

Are we getting a guild going?

I'd imagine we will at some point, just didn't quite get round to it last night from running around shooting stuff with my bow then feeling like I had picked the wrong class.

Gameguard also seems to have a problem with Citrix Workspace, as it crashed twice during the tutorial last night and that means you have to resume it from the start each time.

This was fun last night but complete hell once the US was completely online - all three ships completely full, and absolutely no hope of logging on and being able to get to the same block as your friends. Not to mention that in the lobby you were often able to count the framerate in seconds per frame.

Also the menus. Oh god so many menus.

Indeed, congestion made actually playing together a bit of a mare - by 10-11pm, all 90 blocks at the time were premium space only. It's obviously a problem that will exist with any and all online game launches (especially free games), but I'm guessing it will let up as soon as people decide that the game isn't for them.

I did have one technical problem - left the game for a while, came back and found that my controller was set to player 2. Immediately, the only way to fix it was to restart the computer, but I'm guessing there's a more elegant way somewhere. Maybe Steam? I remember Big Picture Mode having a function to move controller assignments about.

Lots of people are having problems just uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and that's entirely on the head of the Microsoft Store. Before installing the game, I was having problems moving games to other drives because access permissions were fucked on all the WindowsApps folders I had. In the end, I had to go the nuclear option of using an Ubuntu live distribution to delete the entire folder outside of the influence of Windows.

I have set up an alliance (PSU Super Clan - we were limited to 15 characters for the name, honest), but because the alliance is new we're locked out of any of the good stuff. Unfortunate, because I was trying to use either that or the my room function as a way of setting a party up without the lobbies as they shit themselves.

I did have the alliance set up as private because of how many people are on at the minute, but I'll open it when I get on the game.

At the very least, I did have a lot of fun playing last night, although I think I had more fun playing the blackjack table than the game itself! There's also a fair amount of new content, including Ultimate Quests which unlock at level 70 (which are, from playing on JP, hard as fucking nails), compound techs for forces, and a whole range of high-end weapons to trade for.

Good news - We now have an alliance quarters and dedicated shop! The shop is pretty cool, because provided someone is in the alliance after 7 days, they receive any items bought in the shop - namely Advance Capsules, and Extreme passes which are used for their respective missions.

We also have a bulletin board, so we can put up daily reminders that @Moodmon should uninstall Teamviewer before it fucks on his computer.

EDIT: Also, capacity has gone up while we were sleeping in the UK. Originally there was 70 blocks yesterday afternoon, 90 by the time US woke up, and now it's up to 138. hopefully we'll see tonight if that's enough for prime time UK - it should be, but Sega should anticipate Corona Furloughers and people that have finished downloading the bloody game.

I've downloaded it to my partners profile and patched it (it took four hours yesterday), but got to download it on my own profile on the PC and patch it, though I also have it on XBox.

I'm sure they didn't have server capacity issues for the XBox launch?

My Gamertag is Chixie N Riva

18 minutes ago, wev said:

I'm sure they didn't have server capacity issues for the XBox launch?

I remember the initial 3 or so hours of the beta being a pig to access. But honestly, the reasons for server capacity problems are obvious - Everyone's at home, and everyone has a computer in comparison to the X-Box.

Even if it wasn't for the 'rona, I personally know of four friends who were explicitly waiting for the PC version because either they didn't want to buy another (or even a single) console or because they didn't want to wipe the dust off of it.

And that's before we get into the subject of F2P games on PC bringing a... fairly large and particular amount of clientele. Hell, I've noticed a lot of JP players jumping on the NA game just to experience the servers jammed on day one, if only to turn around and say 'well, this must be what it's like all the time, better stay on JP right guys', because they're fucking plebs.

It actually uses the healing move (My setup uses either Resta or Megiverse - Megiverse is the purple cloud that heals you as you attack)? jesus, I wasn't expecting the AI to pull the same bullshit :omg: Megiverse is proper recommended if you can fit techs into a build and can pump out damage, if you get it down it's an outright full heal.

That character was registered at level 75 on Gunner, level 55 on Summoner subclass. Since then I've switched around the classes (you can only level subclasses up to 20 levels lower than the current cap, so you do have to use your sub as a main class at *some* point if you want them both capped).

11 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

@Siri Your gunner character has had my back a few times this afternoon. 

3 minutes ago, Siri said:

It actually uses the healing move (My setup uses either Resta or Megiverse - Megiverse is the purple cloud that heals you as you attack)? jesus, I wasn't expecting the AI to pull the same bullshit :omg: 

Hang on...so if you are in an alliance and are playing solo, you can have alliance members characters AI along with you?!

Just now, Mitchell said:

Hang on...so if you are in an alliance and are playing solo, you can have alliance members characters AI along with you?!

I added him as a friend so i just select friend in the partner selection screen in the gateway ship.

Cant work out how to find the alliance at the moment. 

FYI, my character is also registered publicly (you can do that via the Visiphone terminals, IIRC). He should be showing up in the roster of characters randomly when you go to the terminal on the transport ship.

Otherwise, I think either friends or alliance members have their own list. I'm not too sure on that though, because quite literally all my online friends only turned up to play since yesterday :unsure:

As for the alliance, I'll look into it and see if I can find it myself. If not, it might be down to a setting, although it should be accepting requests to join now (albeit not actively recruiting).

19 minutes ago, wev said:

I always forget about the Partner AI's, maybe I should be using them to do higher level quests/explorations

I do for any mission i am running solo!

Just had right fucking do trying to add my $15 voucher to my xbox account. 

For those struggling you can redeem a code to pay for your AC purchase but you need to have some kind of payment method on your account for it to take.

37 minutes ago, wev said:

I always forget about the Partner AI's, maybe I should be using them to do higher level quests/explorations

It's always worth using them outside of Urgent Quests (where you really just need as many actual players as possible) - they provide a Triboost effect that stacks with all the other boosts (including any triboost items you consume and the bonus from running the daily client orders).

Also, once we get enough points in the alliance, we can activate another exp boost via some tree that's in the middle of our headquarters. It's just like animal crossing if you think about it.

EDIT: forgot to mention, the alliance is now open for 'recruiting'. If you look in the phone for alliances currently recruiting, you should find us like it's the yellow pages if you look in alphabetical order.

Also, we get 3 AP (the points used to upgrade shit in our alliance) every time you use the slot machine. We're getting to max level, lads

10 minutes ago, Siri said:

It's always worth using them outside of Urgent Quests (where you really just need as many actual players as possible) - they provide a Triboost effect that stacks with all the other boosts (including any triboost items you consume and the bonus from running the daily client orders).

Also, once we get enough points in the alliance, we can activate another exp boost via some tree that's in the middle of our headquarters. It's just like animal crossing if you think about it.

What's your Player ID on ship two please dude?

I think the referral system came in with this update, Anamana did a video on what's new with the PC release and that was one of the things!

37 minutes ago, strawdonkey said:

Yeah when you create your character it asks for a referral code. If you put one in, we both get a Wonderful Item!

As yet I still have no idea what it could be.

You get a badge which when you level (and me) you can goto the desk to the left of the gateway ship and redeem rewards. 

Just hit level 20 with my new character. 

Just an FYI: when you start the PC version up and windows asks if it's alright for the program to do stuff, don't ever say no to it - just agree and close the launcher instead.

I just ended up with a snakes and ladders scenario where it got Windows Store confused, which in turn forced it to request a repair to the game, which in turn validated the 11gb launcher part of the game but then got rid of the 60gb part, so I'm downloading all that shit again.

I'm officially grateful for decent uncapped internet in the uk atm.