IGNORED

The Plot Against America - David Simon and Ed Burns Miniseries

pledge

A new HBO miniseries from David Simon and Ed Burns. Starring Winona Ryder, Morgan Spector and John Turturro. Started yesterday.

"A working-class Jewish family in New Jersey watches the political rise of aviator-hero and xenophobic populist Charles Lindbergh, as he becomes president and turns the nation toward fascism. This six-part re-imagining of history is based on the Philip Roth novel of the same name."

Trailer: https://www.hbo.com/the-plot-against-america

Not watched it yet, but has all the components to be excellent.

Is this streaming in the UK yet? I'm assuming cos it's HBO it'll be on Nowtv/sky Atlantic at some point?

The Night Of was indeed excellent.

Edit - just checked, looks like it's due later this year (autumn) on Atlantic.

• 5 weeks later...
On 21/04/2020 at 06:58, JohnC said:

After a very slow build-up, the final episode is very tense and, dare I say, very rushed. What I expected to be 3 or 4 episodes.

After watching it last night, I agree with this.

As I previously mentioned in this thread; the whole series has been slow and felt like it was building up to something. And the last episode was tense for sure. Definitely could have spread it out over at least two episodes, but I really enjoyed it regardless.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that it's predictably left open for a second season. Does anyone know is this is the plan? 

Yeah it did feel quite rushed and but it was gripping stuff. Alvin ya fanny.

David Simon talking about tweaking the ending

Spoiler

But I will say that I brought this up with Roth, that I thought it was the one place where we were going to have to do a little bit more business at the end, having taken people this whole way, instead of just snapping back to normal American history. We were going to require more than mere coincidence. And I asked him if he had any ideas. This was early in the process—we didn’t have scripts written yet. And I confess I was not going to sit there as a TV hack and tell a lion of American literature that I had an idea about how to change his novel. So instead I just threw it open to him and said, “Do you have any ideas about this?” While I was sitting there in his apartment, he reread those pages about Lindbergh’s plane disappearing, and reread them again, he went back a second time. It felt like a total of four hours, waiting in silence, while he reread this. It was probably more like four minutes. Finally, he closed the book, and he looked at me, and he said, “Well, it’s your problem now.” 

:lol: 

Gonna listen to the podcast now, always enjoy listing to Simon talk.

• 3 months later...

Just binged this.

Fucking brilliant start to finish, and terrifying, and prescient. The whole rise of a populist, fascist demagogue couldn’t be more on point if Roth had written it this last few years.

And I dread that come November the very specific scenes in the last episode of

Spoiler

disenfranchising black and minority communities and blatant voting fraud to give victory to the right

will be all too fucking real as well.

Powerful, scary, timely stuff. Watch it.