IGNORED

Steven Spielberg's West Side Story remake

Nick R

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I saw it last night. I'm not overly fussed about WSS itself, I was more interested in what Spielberg would do with it, and what a full-on traditional musical would be in 2021. I really enjoyed it, and though Tony and Maria are easily the least interesting characters it does have a great supporting cast. Looks fabulous and while I'm a little cool on most of the numbers they are staged excellently.

1 hour ago, PaB said:

Went and saw this this afternoon . Spielberg has absolutely nailed it . Superb stuff

@ZOK it’s very very good . 

As far as I’m concerned Spielberg should be in prison for this, and anyone who goes to see it should be joining him in his cell.

I know ZOK is playing up his resentment of this movie for comic effect...

And I know people are always saying "people should remake bad movies to improve on them, instead of classic ones they'll never hope to match!"...

... but aren't musicals more likely to get worthwhile film remakes than most other genres? After all, they get revived many times over the years on stage, with changes to cast and staging etc, which could inspire different ways of presenting them in the film remakes.

I’m not playing it up for comic effect! I regard West Side Story as the greatest musical of them all, and as such it is sacrosanct.

Spielberg is a corrupt artistic defiler, nothing more. He’s stolen the relics from beauty’s temple and is selling them to the filthy, uncritical masses, who are forever tainted by association with his heinous crime.

31 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I'm going to watch the 1961 West Side Story and Spielberg's new version and say all the things he got right that the original got wrong.

Spoiler alert : Spielbergs version is superior.

55 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Spielberg is a corrupt artistic defiler, nothing more. He’s stolen the relics from beauty’s temple and is selling them to the filthy, uncritical masses, who are forever tainted by association with his heinous crime.

So what you're saying is: West Side Story belongs in a museum?

6 minutes ago, Nick R said:

So what you're saying is: West Side Story belongs in a museum?

No, I’m saying that Spielberg and the people who go to see this should be in prison. I’m being completely clear here - much like West Side Story, my posts don’t require an inferior reinterpretation.

58 minutes ago, PaB said:

Spoiler alert : Spielbergs version is superior.

Agreed. What Spielberg has done is astonishing. He's made lots of changes whilst managing to keep what we know and love about the show intact. They never feel like changes for changes sake, and you absolutely understand why he did each one of them.

I can't wait to watch this again. 

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

No, I’m saying that Spielberg and the people who go to see this should be in prison. I’m being completely clear here - much like West Side Story, my posts don’t require an inferior reinterpretation.

My family don’t understand my love for West Side Story. I’ts been having another renaissance recently; been putting it on the TV and blaring it through the Sonos inappropriately loud and listening in the car constantly of late. But… I’m still interested to see the remake. I just don’t see the original film as sacrosanct given it’s an adaptation of an adaptation. I just hope it’s good and creates enough buzz for a new audience to get interested. 

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

Agreed. What Spielberg has done is astonishing. He's made lots of changes whilst managing to keep what we know and love about the show intact. They never feel like changes for changes sake, and you absolutely understand why he did each one of them.

I can't wait to watch this again. 

It's a real reminder of what a master he is. The opening is smashing.

7 hours ago, ZOK said:

I’m not playing it up for comic effect! I regard West Side Story as the greatest musical of them all, and as such it is sacrosanct.

musicals are shit mate lol

2 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I’m always suspicious of anyone who says they don’t like musicals. It’s like saying you don’t like joy. Or dogs.

I don’t like musicals. It’s the whole talking one minute then breaking into choreographed song and dance routines the next. Something about it makes me cringe.