rllmuk
acidbearboy

Is some (physical) music only fit for the bin now?

I buy and sell quite a bit of music, CDs mostly. In most joblots that I buy on the cheap, there will be some absolute rubbish that I can't imagine anybody would want to buy anymore. I'm talking million selling pop albums and singles from the likes of Boyzone, Steps etc. I used to take these to the charity shop, but I'm starting to wonder if even that is a waste of time. Surely anybody who would want to listen to this music would already have the CDs or they're on Spotify etc. Or more than likely they just don't care about music anymore. 

Do you throw anything away? At least with vinyl you can use the junk records as packing materials!

I've recently had to thin out my collection due to an impending house move (and potentially less space.) There's nothing exceptionally rare in there but there were one or two discs that I had to order as I never saw them on shelves, and I've kept most of the albums by my current favourite groups and artists. Letting go was difficult for me at first - most of what I had when I first moved from cassette to CD was still in my collection - but I recently got an upgrade to unlimited data on my phone plan so I'm much more inclined to stream these days...

The only other thing I miss about a physical collection is the idea of having a record of what I bought and listened to as I grew up - there's a strong nostalgic attachment there. I asked on Twitter about how one might document their listening history online, and at the moment I've settled for a GoogleDocs spreadsheet which tries to recreate my trajectory through CD purchases but also includes my recent Spotify habits. :) 

I have around 3000 cds, at a rough guess. I ripped them all a couple of years ago and no longer even have a CD player I desperately need to get rid of them, I wish I had them on vinyl but I don’t and I can’t face binning them. It’s a pickle to be sure.

Guys, guys, guys. I'm not asking whether to ditch my CD collection (that's not happening). I'm asking whether some CDs still have an audience. Today, for example, whilst listing some CDs for sale,  I binned singles by Blue, Liberty X and Steps. I could never bin music that I thought might find a home, but this sort of stuff was so popular that there must surely now be more copies in the world than people who want a copy on CD.

24 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Guys, guys, guys. I'm not asking whether to ditch my CD collection (that's not happening). I'm asking whether some CDs still have an audience. Today, for example, whilst listing some CDs for sale,  I binned singles by Blue, Liberty X and Steps. I could never bin music that I thought might find a home, but this sort of stuff was so popular that there must surely now be more copies in the world than people who want a copy on CD.

Its kind of an interlinked question.  My wife and I's joint CD collection lives in the garage and has done for the last 10 years or so; during which time you could probably count the number of times its been looked at on one hand.  We certainly probably haven't bought a disc in that time frame and whilst we have a CD player still it is basically just been used for kids stuff.

The music was all ripped and uploaded to google years ago but these days we basically play everything through Alexa anyway.  The cars don't even have a CD player in them anymore.

Really they are just taking up a large amount of space (think a very large floor to ceiling bookcase with CD sized shelves) but I don't think I could ever part with them

I think you are spot on. A lot of mass market CDs would just sit there for ever. 
If Music Magpie don’t want them then there’s you answer. Same for dvds.  

I had been carting around boxes of CDs dating back to the 80s from house to house, always consigned to stay in the boxes whilst I listened to them via other means. 

My last house move, I didn't have the space for the boxes to sit there in dust and unloved, so I did one final rip of everything over a few months, and gave the lot away to Sue Ryder.

If you're not using them, anything you can raise for (insert charity of choice) is better than them sitting unloved,  or you coining 10 pence via selling them on.