All Things Picross! Both 2D and 3D

mdn2

Good news? I was utterly addicted for a while last year.

But I've found the challenge has dropped massively over the last few games. They're probably the same but I just ended up with an army of little strategies that can get that next step. Some are basically brute force and aren't very fun.

I also think maybe the formula needs a tweak. Basically I want to play the easiest to the hardest stuff. So the unlocking of the multi puzzle picross images is so annoying because they're utterly trivial.

And colour picross has gone from being interesting to far far too easy. The colours provide too much information for simple deduction.

But whatever, I'll jump right back in.

I've not even started the S games yet, still playing the 3DS games and trying to finish Murder by Numbers. Had a problem with that as some content is locked behind getting an s-rank on each case, and a puzzle on case 3 is missable, so the content stays locked I had to do the whole case 3 times to get it. It's a great game, but this was a bad design decision.

All assists are always off for me too, love the challenge these games present

14 hours ago, SMD said:

turning all assists off is the best way to play

I think I may just do that from the off if I buy any more. I'm hesitant to - because it's like crack when I start one up.

I end up taking rather more loo breaks - stupid, sexy, portable Switch...

6 minutes ago, smac said:

I think I may just do that from the off if I buy any more. I'm hesitant to - because it's like crack when I start one up.

I end up taking rather more loo breaks - stupid, sexy, portable Switch...

I think I mentioned this before but Picross is my bedtime game, love to do a puzzle before sleep. Helps me unwind and relax, after I finished S7 I went back to beat my times but that doesn't scratch the itch in the same way.

I wish there were a full set of colour puzzles, they can get pretty complex and I love the differences from mega picross.

Realised today on the train that since I modded my 3DS I lost all my save states.

So I have to start e1 again? What a shame. My train journey flew by today playing e1 and 3D. I such find these games so relaxing. I realised my Zelda Picross has reset too, love that game with the music and sound effects. Tapingo 2, while very different, has that same Zen effect. And when I am home, I have the S games, Nazarick, Sega and Waifu Picross to play. 

On assists, I alway know that the games never need you to guess. There is always a move forward. I have at times used the show row/column assist where there is something to change if I am really stuck, but try not to now as the game wants you to win. Take Picross 3D Round 2 as an example. Play it on medium, piece of cake. Play it on hard, and sometimes it seems impossible but it never is. There is always something your are missing.

Just love these games

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Hello Picross experts!

Can somebody give me some hints on how to solve the puzzle below please? I don’t want the solution, but a clue to point me in the right direction. What am I looking for here?

image.png.e757f6cc4e56d882fad8be00eb5758e7.png

Rows five and six. The blue squares are either the left of the two or the one so the left is an x. That will let you narrow down the six in column four and get you going. 

40 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Rows five and six. The blue squares are either the left of the two or the one so the left is an x. That will let you narrow down the six in column four and get you going. 

That makes perfect sense, thanks.  

Not sure about the bottom right corner. What am I looking for there?

So I've got a Miyoo Mini and I've been playing Picross 2 for Gameboy on it for 13hrs now, and it's fantastic. Have more of the switch/3DS games than I'll ever need, alongside genuine carts, but this is still my preferred way to play. Fit's neatly out of the way in my pocket, really clearly and pops on the screen, and just perfect for tube rides.

5/5.

This is what I was planning on using my analogue pocket for, to the extent that I'm pondering cancelling.

• 3 weeks later...

S4 regular set complete 🥳

A couple of the Mega on the penultimate page had me struggling for some time with a few restarts. Left them while I cleared the rest. Polished off those and the last few Colour ones this eve. 

Not ventured into the ‘Extra’ yet. 

EDIT: Now fully complete…

D76FF277-7611-4457-8563-B6CFE4E28870.thumb.jpeg.8de82d2f33e75bf09c749a2c8b78ce6b.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Just a bump to say that the recently-released Picross X is bloody great - a mad mix of Warioware-style microgames and Picross, that plays just as well with buttons as with a stylus.

All puzzles are 5x5, and you have to solve them as quickly as possible before the next one comes along... but there are catches. Sometimes placing Xs is mandatory, sometimes the lines have to be completed in the right order, sometimes the numbers are spinning, or appear for a brief time before fading out of existence. It's a brilliant twist on the Picross formula and has proven pretty addictive. There are also skills to equip, which mitigate some of the madness, and three star awards available for completing each level in a certain way, some of which seem pretty difficult.

Get on't, if you like Picross and sensory overload.

8 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

I was excited about the idea of a new Picross game. Then you mentioned a time element and I'll nope out of that 😅

It's not quite as intense as I probably made it sound - the whole thing is a score attack, so there's no strict time limit per puzzle but the quicker you complete one, the sooner you can move onto the next and the higher your score. It's one of those things that seem like it wouldn't work on paper, and yet.