All Things Picross! Both 2D and 3D

mdn2

Considering the last few pages in the Switch eshop thread have been Picross-filled, I reckon we can probably get away with a thread for it alone. Between Picross S1, S2 and S3, Murder By Numbers, Voxelgram, Pictoquest and many, many others, there's no shortage of dodgy picture based puzzle games on the Switch. 

How do you play Picross, you ask? Well, why not see this handy guide which goes over the basics.

https://grandgamersguild.com/how-to-solve-picross-puzzle/

And Picross 3D? Have a another handy guide:

https://www.nintendo.com.au/learn-how-to-play-picross-3d-round-2

Then, of course there's Mega Picross, which I admit I've never really got to grips with.

Best place to start is probably one of the Jupiter S- Games. Jupiter are the Picross masters and each game is filled with hundreds of puzzles with a generous learning curve.  However, Murder By Numbers is a Ace Attorney style game with Picross puzzles in between the investigation parts. It's also great. 

I don't think I've said the word Picross enough.

PICROSS!!!!!

I'm currently playing Nintendo's second 3D picross game on the 3DS which throws colour into the mix too and its by far my favourite picross game ever. It's sculptural tapping away at the screen and I love the satisfying precision of it, the machine almost disappears from you playing with the stylus as opposed to Voxelgram on the Switch which I took massively against, ugly controls.

I love the purity and simplicity of the puzzle type though so any game which throws in RPG elements or other crossovers is out - I'm all about the puzzle.

Good idea for a thread. The purity of Picross is a joy. Pure logic is the order of the day and there is something so comforting about that. 

I love we are starting to see Picross used as a device with other genres too and long may that continue. 

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'm currently playing Nintendo's second 3D picross game on the 3DS which throws colour into the mix too and its by far my favourite picross game ever. It's sculptural tapping away at the screen and I love the satisfying precision of it, the machine almost disappears from you playing with the stylus as opposed to Voxelgram on the Switch which I took massively against, ugly controls.

Voxelgram takes a while to get your head around. When you realise that rotating the cube automatically slices it to the row you're already on, it makes sense why that happens. A lot of the time, you fill in a square and know the one behind it needs to go, so rotating it takes you straight to it. When you get out of the mindset of progressing to the end of the cube and rotating it to start again from the other direction, it makes more sense. Towards the end I was speeding my way through the puzzles. 

It misses touch controls with the stylus, but it works as best it can without it. 

I picked up Picross 3D on Wii U when Voxelgram was being talked about, it is different to 2d picross in a few ways and takes some time to get used to it.

Getting to interact with the cube has a real tangibility to it, and chiselling away the blocks is satisfying, but it doesn't quite scratch the same itch and I can't yet get into the same flow as actual picross.

There's a ton of content here, I've played a good few evenings over 2 weeks and have just finished "Easy".

As a side note, the many virtual console options for showing both DS screens are cool, even having the tv as the top screen.

I'm stuck on (I think) m143 on Picross E7 which is nothing special, except I fuck up at exactly the same point each time I play it. I must've restarted it 5 or 6 times, each with 10 to 15 minutes played. There's a row that requires 2 blocks but the columns they cross over don't allow that and it's hacking me off.

I'm going to try it when I'm not going to sleep (it's replaced reading as my before bed activity) otherwise I'll post a picture and ask for help.

26 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm stuck on (I think) m143 on Picross E7 which is nothing special, except I fuck up at exactly the same point each time I play it. I must've restarted it 5 or 6 times, each with 10 to 15 minutes played. There's a row that requires 2 blocks but the columns they cross over don't allow that and it's hacking me off.

I'm going to try it when I'm not going to sleep (it's replaced reading as my before bed activity) otherwise I'll post a picture and ask for help.

I was doing this with one on e4. I got sick of seeing the same shape filling out and then I mess up every time. Some kind of weird mental block.

Been trying to played Pixel Puzzle by Konami on my phone but it's not the same as being able to count across rows with the cursor controls on the 3DS. 

I'll give m143 a go now myself with a morning coffee. Not started on e7 yet but its been sat on the 3DS for ages

Has anyone tried Murder By Numbers yet? It’s a cool hybrid of Picross and Phoenix Wright-style adventure game on Nintendo Switch and PC.

It was created by sometime Rllmuk member @Ed-E and it has character designs from the creator of Hatoful Boyfriend. 

It’s really funny, and it was being worked on when I was at Mediatonic (I was even part of the conversation that suggested the Murder By Numbers name, as the lawyers had said no to the working title, Picross Detective). 

I know this game was a labour of love for Ed, so I’d definitely encourage you to grab a copy if you like Picross games. 

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/murder-by-numbers-switch/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1140290/Murder_by_Numbers/

47 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

I was doing this with one on e4. I got sick of seeing the same shape filling out and then I mess up every time. Some kind of weird mental block.

Been trying to played Pixel Puzzle by Konami on my phone but it's not the same as being able to count across rows with the cursor controls on the 3DS. 

I'll give m143 a go now myself with a morning coffee. Not started on e7 yet but its been sat on the 3DS for ages

I generally fell back on them while I was waiting for a new Switch one to drop, now they're starting to back up!

I love a bit of Picross but haven't played any properly since the DS game. Tried a few smartphone versions but quality was always variable.

I've had the "S" games on my wishlist in the Switch eshop for ages, but they are never in a sale. I know they're only about £7 each but I'm very stubborn about waiting for sales, so they've not been bought. Now it's developed into a strange kind of mental stand-off: every time there's a big eshop sale I look at whether the S Picross games are on sale - the answer is never - and I think, "Ahh, so these people think their game is too good for a sale, eh?" And I sort of mentally refuse to cooperate with publishers who must be so arrrogant (I know this is ridiculous!)

It also looks like they don't have touchscreen controls, which was half the fun of DS Picross.

Oh my God, I am just playing Murder by Numbers now and I had no idea Ed was behind it! With the Ace Attourney vibe and Ace Attourney composer I just assumed it was either that developer, or another Japanese one. Had no idea a bunch of Brits were secretly behind the scenes. Well done Ed and team if you're reading.

Anyway, its my first time playing Picross and turns out I like Picross quite a bit. I like Sudoku, but Picross is easier to get into a flow with. But I haven't found any Picross that match the hardest Sodokus just yet, I guess thats the limitation of the design. I'm finding that Murder by Numbers has had a good challenge curve, it gets you right into ones that make you think.

I'm onto Chapter 2 and so far I like the style, characters and writing. It's not quite as entertaining as Phoenix Wright narrative-wise but I'm still early into the game. The split between novel and puzzles is quite well balanced although it can be a little jarring to suddenly be thrust into a Picross in the middle of a tense moment.

Overall I'm enjoying it and ended up binging it for hours. Very moreish!

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

As I recall I never finished the final puzzle on S3 for Switch. Stared at that bastard for hours.

1 hour ago, SqueakyG said:

I love a bit of Picross but haven't played any properly since the DS game. Tried a few smartphone versions but quality was always variable.

I've had the "S" games on my wishlist in the Switch eshop for ages, but they are never in a sale. I know they're only about £7 each but I'm very stubborn about waiting for sales, so they've not been bought. Now it's developed into a strange kind of mental stand-off: every time there's a big eshop sale I look at whether the S Picross games are on sale - the answer is never - and I think, "Ahh, so these people think their game is too good for a sale, eh?" And I sort of mentally refuse to cooperate with publishers who must be so arrrogant (I know this is ridiculous!)

It also looks like they don't have touchscreen controls, which was half the fun of DS Picross.

Just for reference, I don’t think a single one of Jupiter’s Picross e games on the 3DS ever went on sale.

Having said that, their spin-off picross games on Switch, the Kemono Friends and  Overlord ones, have been on sale and are more likely to be again.

5 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I didn't know Ed made it!

He wrote the theme tune too!

Completed it the other day and then finished the final extra puzzle last night and now I've run out of game :(

7 minutes ago, ymaohyd said:

Just for reference, I don’t think a single one of Jupiter’s Picross e games on the 3DS ever went on sale.

Having said that, their spin-off picross games on Switch, the Kemono Friends and  Overlord ones, have been on sale and are more likely to be again.

I've paid more for less than they're asking for the S games. They're superb. Fucking loves em, I do.

7 minutes ago, ymaohyd said:

I bought some of them when on sale so they must have done.

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

He wrote the theme tune too!

They don't call him Ed "Dennis Waterman" Epistaxis for nothing. Or, indeed, at all.

Anyway, I've finished Voxelgram after being basically addicted to it for the last few weeks, so now I can get properly stuck into Murder by Numbers.