I’ve kind of become numb to E3 lately - when there were no online streams and it was just this event you heard about in monthly magazines it was kind of exciting but when you’re already drowning in previews and leaks every day it’s nowhere near as interesting. I think for the last few I didn’t bother with the livestreams - I either skimmed through an archived recording (and good luck finding one that doesn’t have morons talking over it) or tried to find a text-based liveblog and work from there.

I know that exposure is important - the event is more or less a giant commercial break, and one that’s perpetuated by press coverage afterwards - but coverage from official channels is getting so much better lately, with Directs, State of Plays, official blogs, Twitter accounts etc - the stage presence just offers a more tangible thing to clap at and take pictures of.

Oh well, it's the right thing to do obviously. I am absolutely gutted though, it falls in close proximity to my birthday and generally fills me with the sort of joy you used to feel around christmas as a kid.

Turning 40 this year too, Birthday cancelled!

2 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I don't disagree. I'm on the organising committee for the E3 fan club, we have jackets and everything. I love the absurdity of it, the sense of everything that matters being in one place while the entire world looks on. And as I think I've said before on here it's very important for the industry in a lot of other ways.

But it's been on the wane for a few years and this might be the thing that finishes it off. Assuming consoles are still actually happening this year, Microsoft and Sony and all the developers and publishers making games for them are going to have no choice *but* to launch them without an E3 or even their own equivalent of it. Providing that goes well I don't see much of a way back. One of the big booths costs $20 million and that's before you've even built anything, much less flown an army of people out to staff it etc. Once you've gone through a year without it on the books I imagine it's a hard thing to go back to.

Keeping fingers crossed obviously. My kids are *so* annoying and I need a break.

It sounds like the finances of E3 need to be looked at.  There is no reason a big booth has to cost $20m at all.  

I also think that events like this are important for gaining the interest of the wider world.  Publishers do not need events like E3 to get their message to us but how often have the BBC or similar covered E3 game and product launches?  It is a single event to garner much wider media coverage than Nintendo may get with a typical January event or that Ubisoft may have got with a new trailer for Far Cry 6. 

Obviously this is a massive disappointment, but it feels like E3 has been in the process of being pecked to death ever since Nintendo stopped doing their conference. The lack of Sony support only further dampened its status. If it is cancelled this year, I hope it gives everyone chance to take stock, mend bridges and re-launch with the full backing of all three of the big console manufacturers. Either it can be a return to the glory days or they can have a fundamental re-think of the show and re-launch as something more relevant to the industry and audience, as it will be in 2021.

2 hours ago, gooner4life said:

E3 was cancelled when Sony told the world that E3 was irrelevant, Microsoft on life support right now, bip bip, bip bip, bip bip, Sony drops the PS5 reveal, 13.3 tf, 24gb of GDDR6, 1tb super fast storage, biiiiiiiiip, like E3 the Series X is irrelevant.

Is that what you want @Boozy The Clown

It’s gone up .1tf since you last scribbled some notes in your pad!

Fuck you Mike! You beat me to it.

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

But they do need it. We are 5 minutes away from 2 of the big console releases. It's hype overdrive and E3 is the best place to be.

I love it as an event, often book a couple of days off to watch the speeches and just enjoy the mass games madness in all its glory. Podcasts get stuffed to the brim with discussions and interviews so its an amazing time. Without the focus it will all fall apart and ebb away.

I too used to set my alarm for 4 in the morning just to watch live. There is something magical about seeing games and consoles being unveiled for the very first time. But the audience. Man oh man. Way too excited for everything.

Companies have finally realised that maybe they're better off releasing news at a point when they can have some chance of it dominating the media instead of everyone spunking out all their big announcements in the space of a few days and it quickly getting buried as websites move onto covering the new shiny thing that was announced 15 minutes after their's.

Hopefully this gives the ESA time to actually work out what they want to do with the show instead of the desperate throw a dart at the wall technique they have been using the past few years. I can totally see this being the end of road for the show though as it's a convenient jump off point for all involved and no one has to take responsibility because next year 'We have evaluated the potential for an industry inclusive expo event but 'market conditions' have made this unfeasible so look at this digital offering!'.

It's been on the decline for 3 years anyway, put it out of it's misery.

NEWS: E3 2020 CANCELLED DUE TO GROWING CONCERNS OVER COVID-19 VIRUS

After careful consultation with our member companies regarding the health and safety of everyone in our industry – our fans, our employees, our exhibitors, and our longtime E3 partners – we have made the decision to cancel E3 2020, scheduled for June 9-11 in Los Angeles.

Following increased and overwhelming concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we felt this was the best way to proceed during such an unprecedented global situation. We are very disappointed that we are unable to hold this event for our fans and supporters. But we know it’s the right decision based on the information we have today.

Our team will be reaching out directly to exhibitors and attendees with information about providing full refunds.

We are also exploring options with our members to coordinate an online experience to showcase industry announcements and news in June 2020. Updates will be shared on E3Expo.com.

We thank everyone who shared their views on reimagining E3 this year. We look forward to bringing you E3 2021 as a reimagined event that brings fans, media, and the industry together in a showcase that celebrates the global video game industry.

Let's face it, E3 peaked in 2010 with Konami's legendary conference (although I did also get a lot of entertainment out of the hideously bad xbox launch, whatever year that was). E3 in the modern era could never be as awkward again, so it's fair enough to consign it to history I reckon. We'll always have the youtube memories of its glory days.

"After careful consultation with our member companies regarding the health and safety of everyone in our industry - our fans, our employees, our exhibitors and our longtime E3 partners - we have made the difficult decision to cancel E3 2020, scheduled for June 9-11 in Los Angeles.

"Following increased and overwhelming concerns about the COVID-19 virus, we felt this was the best way to proceed during such an unprecedented global situation. We are very disappointed that we are unable to hold this event for our fans and supporters. But we know it's the right decision based on the information we have today.

"Our team will be reaching out directly to exhibitors and attendees with information about providing full refunds.

"We are also exploring options with our members to coordinate an online experience to showcase industry announcements and news in June 2020. Updates will be shared on E3expo.com.

"We thank everyone who shared their views on reimagining E3 this year. We look forward to bringing you E3 2021 as a reimagined event that brings fans, media and the industry together in a showcase that celebrates the global video game industry."

Phil Spencer tweet: :sealclap:

E3 has always been an important moment for Team Xbox.  Given this decision, this year we'll celebrate the next generation of gaming with the @Xbox community and all who love to play via an Xbox digital event.  Details on timing and more in the coming weeks

• 4 weeks later...

The ESA sets dates for E3 2021
A "reimagined" showcase will take place June 15 to 17, 2021

The ESA has announced the dates for its next E3 conference: June 15 to 17, 2021. The news was shared with partners this evening, with the ESA saying it would hold a "reimagined" event next year.

E3 2020 was cancelled as of last month due to COVID-19, with the ESA saying at the time it was "exploring options with our members to coordinate an online experience to showcase industry announcements and news in June 2020." However, there is currently no update as to whether or not the ESA is still planning a digital event in 2020.

GI.biz