IGNORED

E3 Cancelled

Boozy The Clown

Various journalists seem to think that if it is cancelled this year, the industry will get a taste of what it's like without the faff and expense of having to go to it, and it'll never happen again. 

4 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Suggest you wait a little while. Since when did everything have to be  official before it got posted on the internet ?

But it’s not cancelled as yet.

When it’s official then say it is.

Not hard is it.

Just edit a question mark in there eh.

I probably wasn't going this year anyway but it's very sad and, yes, probably the end of it once everyone has a year off and realises they don't really need it any more. There's room here for something wry about the virus targeting the old and infirm but I'll leave it to someone else. 

But they do need it. We are 5 minutes away from 2 of the big console releases. It's hype overdrive and E3 is the best place to be.

I love it as an event, often book a couple of days off to watch the speeches and just enjoy the mass games madness in all its glory. Podcasts get stuffed to the brim with discussions and interviews so its an amazing time. Without the focus it will all fall apart and ebb away.

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

But they do need it. We are 5 minutes away from 2 of the big console releases. It's hype overdrive and E3 is the best place to be.

I love it as an event, often book a couple of days off to watch the speeches and just enjoy the mass games madness in all its glory. Podcasts get stuffed to the brim with discussions and interviews so its an amazing time. Without the focus it will all fall apart and ebb away.

Agreed.

Not everyone can “do a direct” as a lot of people won’t give a shit about the smaller companies. They simply will not  get the same amount of eyes on their games as they do at E3.

I don't disagree. I'm on the organising committee for the E3 fan club, we have jackets and everything. I love the absurdity of it, the sense of everything that matters being in one place while the entire world looks on. And as I think I've said before on here it's very important for the industry in a lot of other ways.

But it's been on the wane for a few years and this might be the thing that finishes it off. Assuming consoles are still actually happening this year, Microsoft and Sony and all the developers and publishers making games for them are going to have no choice *but* to launch them without an E3 or even their own equivalent of it. Providing that goes well I don't see much of a way back. One of the big booths costs $20 million and that's before you've even built anything, much less flown an army of people out to staff it etc. Once you've gone through a year without it on the books I imagine it's a hard thing to go back to.

Keeping fingers crossed obviously. My kids are *so* annoying and I need a break.

<conspiracymode>Maybe Sony knew this was going to happen? </<conspiracymode>>

I will really miss E3. Like others, i enjoy booking a day or two off to enjoy it and usually meet up with some friends to watch the conferences.

Unfortunately, this might be the end of E3 as we know it though.