rllmuk
Silent Runner

Devs - Alex Garland sci-fi TV show

The first two episodes of this new show - written and directed by Alex Garland - are out. It’s a scifi mystery set in a near-future Silicon Valley. A young couple are working for a tech company run by Nick Offerman. One half of the couple gets promoted into a super-secret division of this company, some weird stuff happens to him on his first day and then he disappears. The show then follows his girlfriend as she tries to get to the bottom of what happened.

I watched the first episode of this and it was interesting and atmospheric but didn't grab me right away. The cast are quality and I liked the almost-contemporary setting and the little background details were nice. But it was quite slow and a bit humourless. I'll stick with it because I'm a big fan of Garlands previous work. Anyone watching? I think it's on FX. 

• Upvote 4

That first episode was utterly captivating. 

Beautiful imagery, a striking score (the fantastic Barrow & Salisbury) and that semi-real future vibe that all of Garland's work has. He's obviously very smart, and has a singular vision amongst these 'new generation' directors coming through.

It took a while adjusting to Hoffman playing a serious role (being a Parcs & Rec fan), but he sold his character very quickly, mainly due to his expert delivery. The others, who i know very little of, were also impressive in their own way. Thats a good sign going forward.

I wanna say more, but won't because of potential spoilers.

I'm saving Ep.2 so i can enjoy it properly. But yeah, from what i've seen, it looks special indeed.

• Upvote 1

Geek TV are listing this as BBC2 for the UK, which means it may be months til broadcast as they have no respect for keeping scheduling tight to the US to prevent piracy.

9 hours ago, Curtis said:

Beautiful imagery

I wish I could watch this in HDR for 

Spoiler

The dev cube

Watched the first two, and although the opener was more captivating I really enjoyed both. It definitely has the feel of Garland transitioned to TV. This type of mystery is going to live or die by the plot and I think it's too early to say.

I'm glad they included that, that guy would totally be playing it.

Up to episode 4 now and I'm really into this. It reminds me a little of Breaking Bad - sometimes not much happens in an episode but it looks so good and the craft of it is proper quality that the running time zips past. 

Episode 4 constantly wrong-footed me and the ending left me twitching for next week. 

Watched all 4 episodes of this over the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Great concept and really intrigued about where it's heading. 

Watched the first episode, and I'm sold. The soundtrack is awesome (puts me on almost constant edge) and the visuals have an otherworldly feel to them. Like @Curtis says above, "semi real future vibe". Like our own time period, but just a little bit different. Offerman is great. By the end of the first episode I'd forgotten he was Ron Swanson. Slightly odd watching Alison Pill in this whilst watching her in Star Trek Picard. Both characters move in kind of the same circles, but in Devs there's none of the goofiness of Picard. She's much more serious and focused.

Quick question: is this a one-off series?

25 minutes ago, vinegarswithattitude said:

Ugh.

Tacky script. (@)

In what way?  I’ve only seen the first episode but thought it was excellent, can’t wait to catch up with the rest.

Wow, Chapter 5 was a wonderful hour of telly, the use of music, the visuals, 'flashbacks' and multiversal differences, and that horrendously tense scene with Kenton and Jamie, all of it was just spellbinding. Katie can get fucked tho for shittalking the nice lady from Silent Witness mind.

• Upvote 3

Seen episode 5 and enjoying it a lot, but it does feel as though it's stretching itself a little bit thin now.

• Upvote 1

Episode 5 did seem lacking in the thriller aspect, but I expect with just 3 episodes to go then that will be back this week.

On 30/03/2020 at 20:14, memories said:

This is coming to BBC2 at some point but not seen a date mentioned.

Just saw an add. Wednesday 16th April. Can’t wait for this.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Just saw an add. Wednesday 16th April. Can’t wait for this.

A minor typo there. It's Wed 15th April. At 9pm on BBC2.

How did the beeb get it? And so quickly? This looks like the type of show that would usually air on an obscure channel late on a Friday night in 5 years time.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, this is some quality brainmelting stuff, and it looks oh so beautiful. Almost a shame there's just one episode left.

I also thought Forest's bit about the cavepeople was interesting - 5000 years and seemingly nothing changed, no progress? That sounds like a fascinating little story in itself.

Its coming ‘soon’ to BBC2

edit - next weds at 9pm, ep2 on thursday

• Upvote 1

Ooh first episode was really intriguing, couldn’t fault any aspect of it, pretty freaky too. 

That was fucking outstanding. So glad I don't have to wait a week for the next one.

9 minutes ago, multi said:

That was fucking outstanding. So glad I don't have to wait a week for the next one.

I'm glad you said that as I'd assumed they were being shown weekly! This is the BBC2 broadcast schedule:

OcfINNp.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's great @Nick R, all wrapped up before the end of the month.

Must admit though, I was a bit disappointed that after the first ep. tonight the announcer didn't say "you can now continue to watch all episodes on iPlayer" or they didn't try the ITV/Channel 5 gambit of showing them on consecutive nights. 

Netflix has spoiled us.

(Edit - just re-read earlier comments and it seems there's more than six episodes? So not wrapped up by end of the month. Not complaining though)