IGNORED

The Mitchells vs. The Machines (was Connected)

JohnC

New movie from Sony Pictures Animation. Written and directed by Mike Rianda and Jeff Rowe, from Gravity Falls, and produced by Lord and Miller.

Story is about the family daughter going to college, so they make a road trip of it. But then the machines rise up.

Voices include Danny McBride, Abbi Jacobson, Maya Rudolph, Olivia Colman and Eric Andre.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

We just finished it. Its outstanding! 

Not gonna argue. I laughed loud and hard more than once. This was a fantastic movie. And oh my god at what the holy hell they did with the style, the animations, the colours. 

Genius.

Yes, me and Mrs neoELITE watched this earlier. Fantastic. Funny, charming and the animation was brilliant. It reminded me a few times of The Amazing World of Gumball... 

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spoiler

Dog. Pig. Loaf of bread was hilarious

The animation and style is so bold and playful, I thought it might grate but it really didn't. It has the same craziness as the Lego Movie but it manages to also ground it's various messages about technology, about families and about dreams so, so well. 

The set pieces were all excellent and the finale just nailed it. The film crossed multiple genres at a pace that borderlines hyperactivity but the hit rate of good gags is so strong that it swept me along. 

I also want to mention the mobile phones that had a slightly wonky square. Presumably to not be sued by Apple?! It amused me more than it should. 

I thought this was wonderful. Its utterly daft, unrelentingly stupid, but it's so full of heart and charm that I'm sure it'll be a film that's on rotation for a long time in our house, and rarely, it's a film I won't mind sitting through multiple times myself. 

I'm weirded out because I tried watching this last night but was bored after 15mins, just felt like the typical dysfunctional family trope being played out again. It's probably just not for me but I can't help feel like I should be giving it more of a chance regarding how much praise this is getting. 

14 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I'm weirded out because I tried watching this last night but was bored after 15mins, just felt like the typical dysfunctional family trope being played out again. It's probably just not for me but I can't help feel like I should be giving it more of a chance regarding how much praise this is getting. 

The first 15 minutes feels that way, keep going until they get to the dinosaur park and if you still don't like it by the time they leave then give up. 

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

It's almost a joke that they start in typical Pixar-like, improving gruel with cod liver oil story and then it goes pretty throughly mad and it reveals how well written it is. It gets funnier and funnier as it goes along too. The gag rate is like nothing I've seen since classic era Simpsons.

The only 5/5 film I've seen this year.

Loved it. I think Spiderverse slightly edges it though.

All the meme and tech stuff did make me think that it'll date amazingly quickly. I suspect they'll quietly tweak the frequent on-screen dates in a couple of years, it's a bit weird having a film set in 2020 with no reference to covid. Plus having the dad who couldn't be much older than 40 being completely computer illiterate rang a bit false - I guess this had been in development for a long time.

We all loved this, and echo the praise here. Feels like the whacky humour and gags of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, with the sheer visual wizardry of Spider-verse. 

For all the hilarious scripting, and visual humour, I think my biggest laughs though were the dinosaur models at the dino park. But there was just so much to love about this film.