rllmuk
Meat

PlayStation 5 / Xbox Series X: Would you get the Pro or Base model?

PlayStation 5 / Xbox Series X: Would you get the Pro or Base model?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trying to guess hardware costs is extremely difficult when you have precisely no information whatsoever as to the BOM cost , the manufacturing cost and the profit per unit . You can guess at what the components cost individually but when you are talking long term purchasing agreements that run into billions of dollars it’s a bit different than logging into scan.co.uk and taking the price of an SSD from there . 

You can get an idea from previous generations though , so on that basis I think £399/$399 is a likely price for a launch model . 

• Upvote 1

Latest rumours on Era indicate a $600 PS5+ Model with higher specs than the XSX.

From Gamerant

Regarding Sony's specific plans, VFXVeteran has just a handful of details. They say that the long-rumored 9-teraflop PS5 will be the base model of the console. Sony's second console isn't less than that, however, but rather a step up from that. "Their other one is also top of the line to compete with XSX top dog," is how the console is characterized. Exactly how powerful this console is remains mysterious, but it might explain why there are so many rumors that Sony's top model is more powerful than Microsoft's top model.

The only other bit of leaked information that VFKVeterawn shares about the more powerful PS5 model is about its price. They say that the "top of the line models" for both Sony and Microsoft "will be expensive." An exact price isn't referenced, but they predict a $600 price tag for the PS5+.

Just now, grindmouse said:

Latest rumours confirm a second $600 PS5+ Model with higher specs than the XSX.

I’m not sure that’s what “confirm” means .

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

I’m not sure that’s what “confirm” means .

Yeah, edited.
Confirmed if you believe the leaker I guess.

• Upvote 1

I got an X to play third party stuff at the best quality I could afford but unless it's another step up from the PS5, I have much less motivation to get one this time around. It's been a fantastic machine for those top tier AAA experiences, like RDR2, BFV, Sekiro and AC Odyssey but the only exclusive I've really enjoyed is FH4. I'm sure I'll get an XSX at some point but I'm more likely day one PS5 and price drop XSX. 

• Empathy 1

Its too hard to say, even with hypothetical prices.  Everyone would get the 'pro' versions if money was no object, wouldn't they?

But money is an object for a lot of people.  If the price difference between base and pro versions is circa 3-4 games' worth of £, I dunno if I'd be willing to splurge on the Pro.  Esp. given I don't care about 4k, and assuming that's the main benefit the pro versions would provide. 

Posted (edited)

Even if they launch with pro versions, there will be an update in 3-4 years to snag the whales. It worked last time, why wouldn’t they do it again?

Edited by bumgut
  • Upvote 2

I can’t believe that this late in the day we still don’t have definitive specs and prices from that lad at school whose uncle works for Sony

• Empathy 1

I’m amazed at the apparent willingness of people to spend £650 on a games console one generation after the PS4 launched at £350. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m amazed at the apparent willingness of people to spend £650 on a games console one generation after the PS4 launched at £350. 

the original Xbox launched at a heavy £300 in the U.K. (though not for long as I recall). That’s £500 in today’s money and I don’t recall it being quite so aggressive against PC specs.

21 minutes ago, footle said:

the original Xbox launched at a heavy £300 in the U.K. (though not for long as I recall). That’s £500 in today’s money and I don’t recall it being quite so aggressive against PC specs.

Well, the Atari 2600 launched for $199 in 1977, thats $847 in today's money! ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

The price on the poll was changed after I voted!

1 hour ago, footle said:

It also sold horribly, had a dramatic emergency price cut and they retroactively gave people two games and a controller!

Although I've been saying Pro all the way - I guess I would need to know what tangible benefits it would offer to justify coughing up an extra £150-200.

I love the PS4 Pro though - it was like a generational jump in terms of image resolution on games like Spider-man and GoW.

17 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I can't believe people happily spend far more on a phone every two years

I genuinely can't believe this. The world's gone mad.

18 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Pfft. I bought a PS4 for £350, gave that away, bought a PS pro for £350, a PSVR for £350, a 4K telly for a grand,  a switch (my son and I bougth each other one for xmas/birthday), a Wii U, various peripherals (aim controllers, moves, pro controllers etc etc) and christ knows how many games.

I'm not going to fret over £650

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

I genuinely can't believe this. The world's gone mad.

Most people get expensive phones on credit, though. If there are decent contracts for the new consoles, tying you into Game Pass, PS++, or whatever, no reason they can't replicate that model.

18 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I can't believe people happily spend far more on a phone every two years

Or every two weeks, in the case of @bluejmc2005  ;)

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Okay Billy big bucks.

My point was When you look at the amount of people that bought both Xbox ones and PS4 , and switch and subsequently upgraded with the mid gen refresh , plus all the games , it’s not uncommon to have spent a small fortune . 

£300 might look a lot on paper but most of us have dwarfed that .

Call me old fashioned, but “I already spend a lot of money” has never struck me as great justification to then spend more. 

I see it a question of value. The console we upgraded to with the Pro cost the same as what the original cost, and was optional. A console launching at twice the price is crazy. Just like an iPhone going from £580 one year to £1000 the next and people jumping on board struck me as crazy. 

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Pob said:

Most people get expensive phones on credit, though. If there are decent contracts for the new consoles, tying you into Game Pass, PS++, or whatever, no reason they can't replicate that model.

Microsoft are offering repayment terms with their new Xbox console. Great idea imo.

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

Microsoft are offering repayment terms with their new Xbox console. Great idea imo.

610800E9-F7B4-40DD-80BD-377B800ACC01.jpeg.aa5f2cce439966e9c5acde0cf6ddf299.jpeg

A tad peculiar that we make Sony/MS grovel for every £ when they’re quite entitled to say “fuck you, you’re paying a grand. We need to pack girth in these, we’re going against the fucking 2080TI. Suffocating us with talk of £600 or £500. Or £399, especially you, you fucking dickheads”.