IGNORED

PlayStation 5 / Xbox Series X: Would you get the Pro or Base model?

Meat

PlayStation 5 / Xbox Series X: Would you get the Pro or Base model?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trying to guess hardware costs is extremely difficult when you have precisely no information whatsoever as to the BOM cost , the manufacturing cost and the profit per unit . You can guess at what the components cost individually but when you are talking long term purchasing agreements that run into billions of dollars it’s a bit different than logging into scan.co.uk and taking the price of an SSD from there . 

You can get an idea from previous generations though , so on that basis I think £399/$399 is a likely price for a launch model . 

I got an X to play third party stuff at the best quality I could afford but unless it's another step up from the PS5, I have much less motivation to get one this time around. It's been a fantastic machine for those top tier AAA experiences, like RDR2, BFV, Sekiro and AC Odyssey but the only exclusive I've really enjoyed is FH4. I'm sure I'll get an XSX at some point but I'm more likely day one PS5 and price drop XSX. 

Its too hard to say, even with hypothetical prices.  Everyone would get the 'pro' versions if money was no object, wouldn't they?

But money is an object for a lot of people.  If the price difference between base and pro versions is circa 3-4 games' worth of £, I dunno if I'd be willing to splurge on the Pro.  Esp. given I don't care about 4k, and assuming that's the main benefit the pro versions would provide. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m amazed at the apparent willingness of people to spend £650 on a games console one generation after the PS4 launched at £350. 

the original Xbox launched at a heavy £300 in the U.K. (though not for long as I recall). That’s £500 in today’s money and I don’t recall it being quite so aggressive against PC specs.

21 minutes ago, footle said:

the original Xbox launched at a heavy £300 in the U.K. (though not for long as I recall). That’s £500 in today’s money and I don’t recall it being quite so aggressive against PC specs.

Well, the Atari 2600 launched for $199 in 1977, thats $847 in today's money! ;)

1 hour ago, footle said:

It also sold horribly, had a dramatic emergency price cut and they retroactively gave people two games and a controller!

18 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m amazed at the apparent willingness of people to spend £650 on a games console one generation after the PS4 launched at £350. 

Pfft. I bought a PS4 for £350, gave that away, bought a PS pro for £350, a PSVR for £350, a 4K telly for a grand,  a switch (my son and I bougth each other one for xmas/birthday), a Wii U, various peripherals (aim controllers, moves, pro controllers etc etc) and christ knows how many games.

I'm not going to fret over £650

49 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

I genuinely can't believe this. The world's gone mad.

Most people get expensive phones on credit, though. If there are decent contracts for the new consoles, tying you into Game Pass, PS++, or whatever, no reason they can't replicate that model.

31 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Okay Billy big bucks.

My point was When you look at the amount of people that bought both Xbox ones and PS4 , and switch and subsequently upgraded with the mid gen refresh , plus all the games , it’s not uncommon to have spent a small fortune . 

£300 might look a lot on paper but most of us have dwarfed that .

Call me old fashioned, but “I already spend a lot of money” has never struck me as great justification to then spend more. 

I see it a question of value. The console we upgraded to with the Pro cost the same as what the original cost, and was optional. A console launching at twice the price is crazy. Just like an iPhone going from £580 one year to £1000 the next and people jumping on board struck me as crazy. 

2 hours ago, Pob said:

Most people get expensive phones on credit, though. If there are decent contracts for the new consoles, tying you into Game Pass, PS++, or whatever, no reason they can't replicate that model.

Microsoft are offering repayment terms with their new Xbox console. Great idea imo.

A tad peculiar that we make Sony/MS grovel for every £ when they’re quite entitled to say “fuck you, you’re paying a grand. We need to pack girth in these, we’re going against the fucking 2080TI. Suffocating us with talk of £600 or £500. Or £399, especially you, you fucking dickheads”.

On 04/03/2020 at 14:22, HarryBizzle said:

Call me old fashioned, but “I already spend a lot of money” has never struck me as great justification to then spend more. 

I see it a question of value. The console we upgraded to with the Pro cost the same as what the original cost, and was optional. A console launching at twice the price is crazy. Just like an iPhone going from £580 one year to £1000 the next and people jumping on board struck me as crazy. 

sure, but a lot of us aren’t twenty any longer, and with ten months notice we can pretty easily find £600 once every three years for one of our main hobbies: think about how many forty somethings pay golf club membership.

(and if you’re buying a series X, then chances are you’ve also paid for games pass in some deal, and are able for reuse controllers: that’s fifty quid on a second controller you’re not spending this time round, and two times fifty quid you’re not spending on a couple of launch games, if you so choose: the pack most of us had to buy our launch PS4 in was the killzone shadow fall one - something like £430... before you then bought a decent game!)

we’re not a forum of teenagers, and what we might spend doesn’t really say very much about what prices are more widely viable.