IGNORED

PlayStation 5 / Xbox Series X: Would you get the Pro or Base model?

Meat

PlayStation 5 / Xbox Series X: Would you get the Pro or Base model?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rumours suggest PS5 may have a higher specced Pro model at launch as well as the standard one, similar to MS. Which one would you get, assuming prices approx £499/£649?

EDIT: Prices updated from £399/£499

There's no way the base would be £400, there's a $450 minimum cost of the components for the 9TF one, which means $500, £500 minimum, and the rumours for the Pro are super shaky and mostly seem to be coming from Resetera Sony fans "having a normal one" rather than anything legit.

If there's one model at launch, I'll buy it. If there's two options, I'll likely buy the Pro version, unless it's stupidly priced.

I can't see a Pro version being £499 at launch but I'd be happy if it was. I reckon £499 base and £599 or £649 Pro.

23 minutes ago, cubik said:

If there's one model at launch, I'll buy it. If there's two options, I'll likely buy the Pro version, unless it's stupidly priced.

I can't see a Pro version being £499 at launch but I'd be happy if it was. I reckon £499 base and £599 or £649 Pro.

Prices changed to reflect this.

24 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

There isn't a PS Pro version at launch, I'll put Pete Brant's like 10th testicle on it. It's just fevered dreams of the fervent Sony fans believing the 9TF/12TF leaks and trying to compensate.

Yup, a Pro at launch is a mad decision.

Having two models from day one makes 50% of your new generation offerings obsolete.

46 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

There's no way the base would be £400, there's a $450 minimum cost of the components for the 9TF one, which means $500, £500 minimum, and the rumours for the Pro are super shaky and mostly seem to be coming from Resetera Sony fans "having a normal one" rather than anything legit.

The main one seems to be from a Japanese journalist with a track record for revealing info on both the switch lite and the PS4 pro, having predicted this PS5 pro in September.

I just can't see them releasing a mid-gen upgrade at the start of the generation. For one, it's a really stupid idea if you read my first sentence and think about it for a second. That kind of upgraded tech is either not available or not affordable yet at the start of a generation.

I could see them offering different SKUs (the term we used around here all the time before Pro came along). As in the difference between a basic and Elite 360, ie the more expensive model has 2TB instead of 1 and there's an Elite controller packed in. But even then I would put money on both companies waiting at least a year before offering different models of their consoles. In the first year you're targeting the early adopters, the hardcore - it makes no sense to offer a cheaper model for more casual players at that point. That particular audience will be lapping up the XB1 and PS4 at that point at bargain prices.

I would go for the pro but I'm hesitant about buying the first model this time. I'm sick of first models of consoles having issues in recent times, 360 with it's red ring, PS4 with heating and fan / air flow issues and the switch with it's joycon drift.

So I might give it a few months after release this time around and wait for the inevitable problems and see if they are things I can live with or not.