rllmuk
Ork1927

RLLMUK's Films of the 2010's - 2015 to 2019 - FINISHED

Right, I've got off my arse and finished the ninties poll and results of the results of the first half of the 2010's will be coming in shortly.

So lets finish this.

As before - top 3 films of each year 2015 to 2019. 3 Points for 1st, 2nd Points for 2nd, etc. Details of last poll below - if you didn't participate then feel free to do this one.

Must be the release date on IMBD (the year in brackets next to the title - not UK release date).

Deadline is Soon - once we've got some more votes in

As a bonus - add your 4th to 10th films of 2019 so we can have a best films of 2019 list. This bit is optional - do top 5, top 8 or top 10. Those won't count towards the main poll, but I'll do a separate list as well. Remember it isn't UK release date so if you haven't seen Jo Jo Rabbit, Parasite, Lighthouse, etc then get to it.

Template below:

1. Favourite

2. 2nd favourite

3. 3rd favourite

--------------------------------------Extra for 2019 Top Ten list (not compulsory - doesn't have to be 10 can be less)

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

2. Sicario

3. Creed

1. The Neon Demon

2. The Nice Guys

3. The Handmaiden

1. Blade Runner 2049

2. mother!

3. Phantom Thread

1. Avengers: Infinity War

2. Annihilation

3. Leave No Trace

1. Long Shot

2. The Lighthouse

3. Monos

4. Marriage Story

5. Parasite

6. The Farewell

7. Ad Astra

8. Her Smell

9. The Souvenir

10. Pain & Glory

• Upvote 2

1. Where To Invade Next

2. The Martian

3. The Hateful 8

1. Tunnel

2. The Nice Guys

3. Hunt For The Wilderpeople

1. mother!

2. Bad Genius

3. Lego Ninjago movie

1. Instant Family

2. The Nightingale

3. Tully

1. The King

2. Parasite

3. The Art Of Self Defence

4. I Lost My Body

5. Knives Out

6. Marriage Story

7. Joker

8. Uncut Gems

9. Ford vs Ferrari

10. The Lighthouse

1. Sicario

2. Room

3. Amy

1. You Name

2. Moonlight

3. Hunt for the Wilderpeople

1. Get Out

2. Paddington 2

3. You Were Never Really Here

2. Spider-man into the Spider-Verse

3. They Shall Not Grow Old

1. Joker 

2. Avengers: Endgame

3. The Lighthouse

4. 1917

5. Toy Story 4

6. Parasite

7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

8. Little Woman 

9. Knives Out

10. Uncut Gems

2016 was a tough year to decide on, I have 6 films fighting it out for that top 3.

• Upvote 1

1. Inside Out

2. Mad Max Fury Road

3. The Witch

Runner ups: The Big Short, The Martian, Victoria, Son Of Saul, 45 Years, Tangerine (damn this year slaps, every film in the top three is a full on 10/10)

1. Arrival

2. Moonlight

3. La La Land

Runner ups: Silence, Manchester by the Sea, Pete’s Dragon, Train to Busan, Finding Dory (a really underrated film)

1. A Ghost Story

2. The Shape Of Water 

3. Dunkirk

Runners up: Lady Bird, the Last Jedi, the Post, You Were Never Really Here

1. Sorry to Bother You

2. Can You Ever Forgive Me? (why is this year so apologetic)

3. A Star is Born

Runners up: Into the Spider-verse, Infinity War, the Favourite, Hereditary

1. Parasite

2. Rocketman

3. Booksmart

4. Marriage Story

5. Little Women

6. Jojo Rabbit

7. Knives Out

8. Toy Story 4

9. Spider-Man: Far From Home

10. Joker

• Upvote 1

Parasite and The Lighthouse aren't available to stream yet which is extremely annoying for the purposes of my 2019 votes being in good conscience.

1. Mad Max : Fury Road

2. Star Wars Force Awakens

3. The Martian 

(sorry Hateful 8)

1. Rogue One

2. Arrival

3. Deadpool

1. Thor Ragnarok

2. Death of Stalin 

3. Bladerunner 2049

1. Avengers infinity war 

2. Spiderman into the spiderverse

3. Vice

1. Avengers Endgame

2. Us

3. The irishman

Though I haven't seen loads of films from 2019 yet that I want to that sound like they'd get into my top 3 maybe. Hmph

• Upvote 1

1. The Martian

2. The Big Short

3. Spy

1. Train to Busan

2. Deadpool

3. Shin Godzilla

1. One Cut of the Dead

2. Thor Ragnarok 

3. Bladerunner 2049

1. Spiderman Into The Spider-verse 

2. Avengers Infinity War

3. Upgrade

1. Parasite

2. Jojo Rabbit

3. Apollo 11

-------

4. Avengers Endgame

5. Knives Out

6. The Personal History of David Copperfield

7. Shazam!

8. John Wick 3

9. Ford vs Ferrari (Le Mans 66)

10. Joker

Subject to change before the deadline...

1. Mad Max: Fury Road - there is absolutely no contest here for this year. Fury Road is a roaring, thundering, gut punch delivered with absolute precision, over and over again, actually leaving you on the edge of your seat for a change with some of the finest character filled action scenes ever filmed. It's endlessly creative, exciting and exhilarating, and stands on top of the franchise and probably most other action films and pisses all over them off a giant cliff covered in War Boys.

2. Embrace of the Serpent - just narrowly missing out to Fury Road, this is an absorbing fever dream that arrests the senses and confounds expectations.

3. Sicario - Roger Deakins. 'Nuff said.

Runners up: The Witch - mesmerising horror that very nearly beat Sicario but, Roger Deakins. Long Way North - lovely animated feature. The Invitation - surprising thriller. Creed - great Rocky follow up. The Big Short - just fascinating. The Martian - liked a lot more on a rewatch. Inside Out - classic Pixar.

1. The Red Turtle - transcending even Studio Ghibli's collective works, this is an emotional tale of love, loss and humanity played out over some of the most heartfelt and delicate animation ever created. The entire human condition as summed up in one perfect little but epic tale.

2. Moonlight - a coming of age story that was such an emotional roller coaster of deep texture and longing that I came out of it quite quite breathless.

3. My Life as a Courgette - Or Zucchini if you watched it in America. I normally hate children as a rule, but these ones broke my heart in places I didn't know it was still possible.

Runners up: I am Not a Serial Killer - don't read anything about it but just watch it. Train to Busan - highly enjoyably kinetic zombie fare. Into the Inferno - jesus Christ, Herzog. Under the Shadow - excellent horror. Your Name - a little schmaltzy but lovely. Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Waititi brilliance. Hidden Figures - wonderful. Arrival - BWAAM. 10. Cloverfield Lane - absolutely brilliant until the last 10 minutes ruins it.

1. Blade Runner 2049 - somehow, impossibly, improves upon the original in almost every way. From visuals, to atmosphere, to cinematography, to acting... The only aspect that doesn't quite beat it on is the soundtrack, but then, Vangelis is Vangelis. Regardless, it took a second watch before I could be sure, but somehow Blade Runner 2049 is more than the sum of its parts. It's an ethereal wonder that transports you like few other films can manage.

2. One Cut of the Dead - to discuss the brilliance of One Cut of the Dead would be to instantly spoil the experience for anyone lucky enough to watch it with no prior knowledge. More than maybe any other film on this list, going into it completely without any information is of paramount importance. And when you do, what an absolute treat it is.

3. Phantom Thread - Daniel Day-Lewis has a knack for transmogrifying into his characters so completely that you tend to forget how complete a spell he has cast over you. Phantom Thread is a complex love story packed with subtle glances and meaningful twitches as densely woven into the fabric of the story as the garments so lavishly depicted in each scene.

Runners up: I could have picked several for third place this year. Get Out - just fantastic and deserving of all the praise it has. The Shape of Water - not to everyone's tastes but in my opinion one of the most delightful and subversive fairy tales to come out in years. Coco - the best Pixar film I've seen this decade I think (it made me do a big heaving sobbing man cry). And then we have just so many other great films: The Breadwinner, I Tonya, The Endless, The Death of Stalin, You Were Never Really Here, Okja, Thor: Ragnarok, Logan, The Florida Project, Lady Bird...

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - when I said I would only have one superhero movie on my list I wasn't counting animation, so sue me. This is hands down the greatest superhero movie of the decade. Beating every single Marvel studios effort with its hands tied behind its back while fwipping merrily on its way. An absolute triumph of animation, creativity, heart and soul.

2. Leave No Trace - a father and daughter struggle to survive on their own in the wilderness away from society. It's subtle yet one of the most powerful and affecting dramas I've watched this decade. The entire story is perfect, right up until the very last credit rolls.

3. Blindspotting - this completely caught me by surprise recently as I had never heard of it before, but already in my top 3 here. A fascinating look into race and class divides in contemporary Oakland, that earns 3rd place here almost entirely just for an absolutely electric final scene that gave me chills.

But wait! There is so much more: Roma - incredible piece of work that everyone should watch, with some of the most beautiful cinematography I've ever seen. American Animals - fascinating, funny, scary, essential. Aniara - most depressing Sci-Fi you'll see in years. The Guilty - incredible performances in a tight low budget. Prospect - good old grungy sci-fi.  Upgrade - even grungier sci-fi and frequently hilarious. Isle of Dogs - Wes Anderson on top form. BlacKkKlansman - awesome. Annihilation - overlooked by a lot of people I think but really interesting. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - lots of good stuff from the Cohens. And finally.... Mandy - holy fucking shit.

1. Apollo 11 - a stunning, visually and aurally spectacular reminder of one of the most incredible events and feats of science and engineering in human history, and hits all the beats of the mission with expert skill.

2. Color Out of Space - an extremely accomplished slice of Lovecraftian horror that manages to actually deliver in the genuinely disturbing stakes at times, with visuals that largely do the source material justice.

3. Uncut Gems - Like being aggressively tapped on the forehead repeatedly for over two hours. And it's brilliant.

--------------------------------------Extra for 2019 Top Ten list (not compulsory - doesn't have to be 10 can be less)

4. The Irishman - is it too long? No. It's exactly the length it needs to be. A truly mesmerising several hours that sees Scorsese in a reflective mood, with a melancholic mediation on ageing, even as ageing itself is (mostly) thwarted by technology in order to tell the generation spanning tale.

5. Dolemite Is My Name - it might be a fairly loose biopic, but this is probably one of the most entertaining films I've seen all year.

6. Samurai Marathon - highly entertaining and unusual period piece

7. Anima - an excellent album feature.

8. I Lost My Body - a great and enigmatic animated love story.

9. Toy Story 4 - was it necessary? No. Is it as good as the previous three? No. Did it still make me cry?.....

10. John Wick 3 - it might actually be the weakest of the three, but my God those stunts.

11. Knives Out - enormously enjoyable whodunnit.

12. Ready or Not - great fun.

13. Joker - greater than the sum of its parts, despite owing a clear debt to so many films.

• Upvote 5

1. Sicario

2. The Martian

3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

1. Arrival

2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

3. Deadpool

1. Blade Runner 2049

2. Three Billboard’s Outside Ebbing

3. The Shape of Water

1. Leave No Trace

2. MI: Fallout

3. Annihilation

1. Joker

2. Toy Story 4

3. Apollo 11

Just saw Color out of Space so had to edit my list.

Edit: and Apollo 11 too...

• Upvote 1

Some really great films in this period. 17/18/19 were all particularly strong years.

2. When Marnie Was There

3. The Martian

Honourable mentions -  The Martian, The Assassin, Love & Mercy, A Most Violent Year, Victoria.

1. Raw

2. Arrival

3, The Handmaiden 

Honourable mentions - La La Land, Midnight Special, Elle, Hunt For The Wilderpeople.

1. Phantom Thread

2. Blade Runner 2049

3. The Last Jedi

Honourable mentions - Three Billboard’s Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Shape Of Water, Good Time, Logan, Dunkirk

1. Shoplifters

2. Climax

3. Mandy

Honourable mentions -  Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again, Annihilation, Hereditary, Mute.

1. The Irishman 

2. Vox Lux

3. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood 

4. Ash Is The Purest White

5. Color Out Of Space

6. Prospect

7. Midsommer 

8. Parasite 

9. Burning

10. Diego Maradona 

Trying to do my 2019 top ten and watching stuff I missed which is then making my top ten harder to compile.

1. Room

2. The Martian

3. Jurassic World

Runners-up: Anomalisa, Brooklyn, Spy, The Gift, Inside Out, When Marnie Was There, TFA.

1. La La Land

2. Manchester by the Sea

3. Zootropolis

Runners-up: Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates, Rogue One, Elle, Ghostbusters ATC.

1. It

2. Baby Driver

3. The Ritual

Runners-up: I, Tonya, Get Out, Coco, Gerald’s Game, Killing of the Sacred Deer

1. Annihilation

2. MI: Fallout

3. Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse

Runners-up: Suspiria, Deadpool 2, Solo, Game Night

1. Burning (technically 2018 - but others put it in 2019 with the UK release).

2. Knives Out

3. Marriage Story

4. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

5. Parasite

6. Booksmart

7. Spider-man: FFH

8. Can You Ever Forgive Me

9. Ready Or Not

10. It 2

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I did my top 10 of 2019 as a podcast if anybody cares.

Type it out and your 2015 - 2018 picks :-)

32 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Its typed out somewhere else. Maybe this thread I think?

I'll get onto 2015-2018 tonight. 

It's a really good podcast episode though I think. Got some lovely compliments from within the industry.

2 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

Have you posted the results of 2010-14 already, or will they be joining the results of this thread?

16 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Have you posted the results of 2010-14 already, or will they be joining the results of this thread?

Working on them at the moment. Hopefully have a run at them this week.

Posted (edited)

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

2. The Martian

3. Jurassic World

1. Hunt For The Wilderpeople

2. Rogue One

3. Lion

1. The Death of Stalin

2. Three Billboards

3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

1. Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse

2. Isle of Dogs

3. BlackkKlansman

1. 1917

3. The Two Popes

4. Fighting With My Family

5. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

6. Toy Story 4

7. Lego Movie 2

8. Captain Marvel

Weird few years - 2019 is the only one where I can't really make a top 10!  Not seen Apollo 11 yet but it's just come out on Netflix so I'll rectify that very soon.  2016 was a great year and it was hard to leave some awesome films out.

Edited by Boothjan
Forgot episode IX!!

1. Mad Max

2. Carol

3. Spotlight

1. American Honey

2. Paterson

3. Arrival

1. Call me By Your Name

2. Death of Stalin

3. Get Out

1. Sorry to Bother You

2. Hereditary

3. Mandy

1. Parasite

2. Midsomar

3. Us

2017, 2018 and 2019 were the hardest years to reduce to just 3 films.

7 hours ago, Boothjan said:

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

2. The Martian

3. Jurassic World

1. Hunt For The Wilderpeople

2. Rogue One

3. Lion

1. The Death of Stalin

2. Three Billboards

3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

1. Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse

2. Isle of Dogs

3. BlackkKlansman

1. 1917

3. The Two Popes

4. Fighting With My Family

5. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

6. Toy Story 4

7. Lego Movie 2

8. Captain Marvel

Weird few years - 2019 is the only one where I can't really make a top 10!  Not seen Apollo 11 yet but it's just come out on Netflix so I'll rectify that very soon.  2016 was a great year and it was hard to leave some awesome films out.

Weird, I'd say 2019 has been the best year of the decade by far. My top 10 podcast has 14 films in it cos I couldn't get it down.

Looking at your list it does just seem that you didn't watch amazing stuff like The Lighthouse, Uncut Gems, Booksmart, Monos, The Favourite...

Yeah, I've just not seen that much from last year, that's all. Got The Favourite to watch on Sky at some point though.

Only 12 entries on this so far - appreciating everyone is a bit distracted at the moment and I've done next to nothing writing up 2010 to 2014 this week.

Vote em if you've seen em

• Upvote 1

2. The Shaun the Sheep Movie
3. The Martian

Spoiler

4. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
5. Creed
6. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
7. The Hateful Eight
8. Inside Out
9. Ex Machina
10. Bridge of Spies

1. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
2. Zootopia
3. Moana

Spoiler

4. Kubo and the Two Strings
5. Arrival
6. The Red Turtle
7. Captain America: Civil War
8. My Life as a Courgette
9. Your Name
10. La La Land

At first 2016 promised to be the biggest ever year for superheroes, containing two Marvels, two DCs, an X-Men, a Deadpool, and a Doctor Who Christmas special. But instead what 2016 really turned out to be was an extremely good year for animated films. So good that we can even forgive it for being the year that inflicted Sausage Party on us. :P

The Red Turtle, My Life as a Courgette, and Your Name are all great, but my favourite of the year was Zootopia (none of this "Zootropolis" nonsense). I love it for its characters, setting, humour, and many things that the above blogger said better than me. Though I acknowledge that many people have made quite reasonable criticisms of areas where its racism/prejudice allegories send out dubious messages.

I hesitated over which way round Moana and Kubo and the Two Strings would go in #3 and #4. If you'd asked me as soon as I first saw them, I'd have instantly said I preferred Laika's film, without question - mainly because it's one of the most stunningly beautiful animated films I've ever seen. (Just as beautifully crafted as The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, IMO.) But two subsequent rewatches have made me notice some of the problems with story and tone that are mentioned in the above linked Tumblr post, so that I'm starting to think that ParaNorman might be Laika's best film. Still, #4 isn't too shabby, so it can't have diminished that much.

Moana, meanwhile, has the best original songs of any of Disney's 21st century animated musicals (yes it does, fight me :ph34r:), and if Zootopia didn't exist I'd probably call Moana their best animated movie since The Emperor's New Groove/Lilo and Stitch.

Oh, and some good live-action films were released in 2016 as well.

1. Paddington 2
2. John Wick Chapter 2
3. Thor: Ragnarok

Spoiler

4. Dunkirk
5. Baby Driver
6. Blade Runner 2049
7. Star Wars Epside VIII: The Last Jedi
8. Phantom Thread
9. Coco
10. The Shape of Water
11. I, Tonya

12. Logan

13. The Breadwinner

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
2. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Isle of Dogs

Spoiler

4. Incredibles 2
5. Black Panther
6. Mission: Impossible Fallout
7. Deadpool 2
8. Teen Titans Go! To The Movies
9. Crazy Rich Asians
10. First Man

1. Parasite
3. Toy Story 4
4. John Wick Chapter 3 - Parabellum
5. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
6. Jojo Rabbit
7. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
8. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
9. Alita: Battle Angel
10. Joker

Other than mentioning Exit Through The Gift Shop and Senna in the runners-up section of my 2010 list, I've avoided including documentaries in these lists, because I find it so hard to judge them against fictional narratives. But honourable mentions to Free Solo (2018) and Apollo 11 (2019).

• Upvote 3

Yes, but the first post says to use the year listed on IMDb.

Also @Ork1927 - Kerraig is currently banned so if you want to include his votes I think you'll have to listen to his podcast! (I haven't.)

I’m going to extend this a week.

Low votes so far and I’m rammed at work and distracted by corona a bit so haven’t done much on 2010 to 2014.

2. The Witch

3. The Martian

1. Deadpool

2. War Dogs

3. Raw

1. Blade Runner 2049

2. What Happened to Monday

3. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

2. Hereditary

3. Mission: Impossible – Fallout