Soul Crushing Game Experiences

I read all of that.

I treat games as games. So, no, I’ve never been crushed by a game. It’s like saying I’ve been crushed personally by a book or movie. Moved, maybe, crushed, no. 

I understand you, I assume, make money from playing a game therefore it has a detrimental effect on your life. But, frankly, if my actual real job made me feel that way I’d quit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
19 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019)

I was going to post this. I loved every Souls game, I love the good Tenchu games. I was mad hype, the kind of hype I had not felt since being a teen and reading about the upcoming Zelda Ocarina of Time in N64 magazine. This was going to be the best game ever, no doubt. My ideal game, Souls X Tenchu. And then Sekiro was finally in my hands... and the game beat me. It was too hard for me, I just could not. I almost would rather have had the game turning out bad or something. Now it's simply too difficult for me, which is a special new kind of disappointing. Devastated. Crushed. 

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 3

I'd say any game where the 'good' ending requires so much more skill than the bad ending I will inevitably get. Only if I've loved it to that point of course. Hollow Knight Spoiler

I couldn't beat the radiance and had to let Hornet die as a result

:(

I ended up on tilt when I used to play ranked Street Fighter IV - in particular, finding a way through the shoto flowchart with my character of choice and (later) dealing with the twins in AE. I did better with Juri than I had done with any other main I had picked in the past, but the penalties for losing at grade B became too much and I didn't know if I should bother continuing when the stakes were so high. Eventually I retreated to friendly private lobbies (and even public lobbies against random players) and ended up having fun again - when you don't have so much on the line you can afford to play around and figure out matchups safely, and maybe just have a bit of fun with the game again. :) 

EDIT: Dragonball FighterZ is another one. Now, I never intended to be any good at this competitively - I just wanted to have a bit of fun with it - but it's the kind of game where you anticipate where to block next (high, low, either side) and making the wrong call leads to a huge life loss as they combo the crap out of you. There's a burst system to get out of it, but this costs meter so you can only do it so many times. However, they run the same risk of making the wrong call so there's always a small chance of redemption. Also I kind of drifted away from it when players were still having fun and figuring things out together - I've no idea what it might be like now!

8 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Damn; Sekiro must be the first game I've started with the idea that I won't get to the end of it. A shame, as I absolutely love what I've seen so far - just past the chained ogre, so not far at all.

If you get the parry mechanic down, I think it's actually easier than the Soulsborne games. But you can't summon your way out, which makes it the hardest for some.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

If you get the parry mechanic down, I think it's actually easier than the Soulsborne games. But you can't summon your way out, which makes it the hardest for some.

I never parry in Soulsborne and always solo everything - if I engage in jolly co-op it's usually to help out others. Across all the Soulsborne games I summoned three times total when I couldn't beat a boss, and two times I went back and solo'd it. ROM in Bloodborne is the one boss I never beat solo across all the games. Never parried shit, it was all about hitting hard, blocking a few times, and rolling like a motherfucker. Henk de Tank they called me. So it's not just about not being able to summon, even then I would have given up - it's that Sekiro offers one very specific way of playing that I'm just not good at. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I was going to post this. I loved every Souls game, I love the good Tenchu games. I was mad hype, the kind of hype I had not felt since being a teen and reading about the upcoming Zelda Ocarina of Time in N64 magazine. This was going to be the best game ever, no doubt. My ideal game, Souls X Tenchu. And then Sekiro was finally in my hands... and the game beat me. It was too hard for me, I just could not. I almost would rather have had the game turning out bad or something. Now it's simply too difficult for me, which is a special new kind of disappointing. Devastated. Crushed. 

This is why Sekiro is amazing imo. They absolutely knew what they were doing by removing the summon mechanic, it’s intended to beat people. Give it a couple of years and we’ll all be back at it giving it another go. It beat me too but I don’t resent it for that as I loved every moment. I will return! I’m playing Nioh at the moment but that isn’t anywhere near as hard (on level one :lol:)

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Droo said:

I understand you, I assume, make money from playing a game therefore it has a detrimental effect on your life. But, frankly, if my actual real job made me feel that way I’d quit. 

We don't play for money around here (other places do), it's purely about pride. There is little real money in 1v1 competitive games outside the United States and even then the players who live off it are the top 1%.

Defender. Love everything about it. Always wanted to get good at it. The game has broken me more than anything by From. It’s a vicious, unforgiving and cruel game, but even now, all these years later, still has a pull unlike anything else. 

• Upvote 7
1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Defender. Love everything about it. Always wanted to get good at it. The game has broken me more than anything by From. It’s a vicious, unforgiving and cruel game, but even now, all these years later, still has a pull unlike anything else. 

I used to watch people who were really good at it back in the arcade I grew up in. Fucking magnificent! I love the game to pieces, but I'll go from scoring tits-all one go to beating my personal best the next (it's not very high). And then back to tits-all the next. I can't ever be consistent at it. But those goes when it click and works - oh My! They set a fire in your belly! 

• Upvote 1

Playing Final Fantasy VI for over 24 hours getting every possible character I could including the weird one you got from some kind of huge worm enemy. Then knocking the SNES and rocking the NTSC adapter and losing my save. I almost never went back to it. It did make me buy a new adapter though. The original one I had made you out the NTSC cart on top with the PAL one at the back (awful design). 

This one:

Oh I just remembered one that got me good from my childhood; spending hours trying to beat Kintaro in MK2, mate who'd been bugging me put his hand out for a high five, I went to smack his hand in solidarity when he moved it out the way and I smashed it on the wall and couldn't carry on. Got destroyed by Kahn...

My little brother deleted my SNES Link to the Past save that was at Ganon and I've never gone back. It still makes me angry as fuck thinking about it. I was absolutely ruined. Someday I'll finish it...

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, iknowgungfu said:

Playing Final Fantasy VI for over 24 hours getting every possible character I could including the weird one you got from some kind of huge worm enemy. Then knocking the SNES and rocking the NTSC adapter and losing my save. I almost never went back to it. It did make me buy a new adapter though. The original one I had made you out the NTSC cart on top with the PAL one at the back (awful design). 

This one:

Reminds me of the time I put 74 hours into FF IX and my memory card corrupted as I just started the last CD of 4. I literally bought a new one and started again that day then did it all over. 

Heavy Rain made me so angry (and I’m still angry) I had to reevaluate whether playing games was really something I wanted to do.

• Upvote 7
  • Empathy 1

Playing in a Rock Band competition back when the first game came out, along with @ryanski. We were confident of doing well given we were all pretty good at the game and the competition was a fairly casual affair. With an Xbox 360 each on offer for the winners, it was quite a big deal.

However, the microphone would only register if your lips were practically touching the thing. Normally you'd pick up on the visual clue but as a three-piece, whoever was singing was more focused on their guitar chart.

I was lucky enough to realise it before it became a catastrophe. Then we alternated singer, and it came crashing down.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Heavy Rain made me so angry (and I’m still angry) I had to reevaluate whether playing games was really something I wanted to do.

Jason. Jason? JASON!

JAAAYYYYSON!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

A friend of mine talked me into joining their team for what was billed as a "casual" Splatoon 2 tournament that they were helping to organise. In the run-up we barely had any time to practice, but "it's fine, it is just a bit of fun anyway."

On the day, turns out the other teams are all composed of S+ ranked veterans with thousands of hours in the game, including one US team who had won multiple actual tournaments. Over the course of a couple of hours we got utterly annihilated, failing to win a single match and I'd be pleased if I could count the number of splats in a game on more than one hand.

It was just embarrassing really and reminded me why I no longer play competitively online.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ChewMagma said:

A friend of mine talked me into joining their team for what was billed as a "casual" Splatoon 2 tournament that they were helping to organise. In the run-up we barely had any time to practice, but "it's fine, it is just a bit of fun anyway."

On the day, turns out the other teams are all composed of S+ ranked veterans with thousands of hours in the game, including one US team who had won multiple actual tournaments. Over the course of a couple of hours we got utterly annihilated, failing to win a single match and I'd be pleased if I could count the number of splats in a game on more than one hand.

We were so bad I felt embarrassed not just because we were wasting our own time but also other people's.

I don't think you were wasting *their* time.

Back in the 90s I went to one of these new lasertag places that were opening up and was excited to give it a go. My friend and I were new and in the lobby we noticed there were quite a few teenagers loitering around. They all had similar clothing, essentially Nirvana T-shirts, Red Dwarf baseball caps. That kind of thing. So we queued up and paid and as soon as we handed our money over the Red Dwarf crew jumped in the line (I guess they had memberships).

So there were about 5 newbies and about 6 of these lasertag groupies. Of course they ruined the game for us. They all stuck together, picked us off, held their weapons in a certain way so the sensors were covered and generally gamed the system so their own season scores increased at the expense of ruining the experience for anyone who was new to it.

• Upvote 3

Getting to the final boss run in Skies of Arcadia after dozens of hours only to realise I was nowhere near levelled up enough to survive and the game had locked me out of any way to level up further. Crushed.

• Empathy 2
On 02/03/2020 at 08:35, Chooch said:

Finding you have a free hour, booting up that game you cant wait to get back to... MASSIVE update :angry:

Soul crushing.

Happened last night with Apex. Got out of work an hour early, a whole hour gaping wide open, fired it up, 66min update download. I never have time to play games. I was like cool, guess I’ll make dinner and go to volleyball instead. Sad face 

My most soul crushing moment was on a super super super comprehensive collect-everything-before-continuing-next-stage-of quest rerun of Windwaker back in 2008. My gf at the time walked over and turned off the GameCube because she was mad at me because my sister borrowed her t-shirt and I refused to get involved.

I hadn’t saved in 6 hours

that was the last time I ever played it

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1