rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Popo

The Invisible Man - Elizabeth Moss being terrorised

I had no interest in this at all, but Robbie Collins review was really interesting.  He talks of how Universal were going to try and create a cinematic universe around their old horror IP, and the first was The Mummy with Tom Cruise.  Because that turned out to be complete shit they took a step back and had a re-think.  They have passed this on to Blumhouse and given it a much smaller budget, but released the reigns as if to say, "We aren't doing a blockbuster, so see what you can come up with".  The low budget movies tend to lose money but the one in twenty that succeeds bankrolls the small, experimental films.  Pretty much every film I have enjoyed recently has been a small budget, story driven piece so I'm very much looking forward to seeing this.

Yeah the Robbie Collins review really caught my interest. It sounds very 'It Follows' and that definitely has me interested. A few more impressions and I'll treat myself to a cinema trip.

I’m really glad Collins gave it a positive review, I think everything he said about it chimed with my impressions of the movie. When he’s right he’s right!

This was mint.  The tension in the first hour or so was incredible, and then a neat little ending as well.  Loved it.:hat:

This was crafted a lot better than anyone would ever have believed but it was fairly average overall. 

The Sci fi angle was unnecessary and took away from the fear. 

Really enjoyed this, for the most part it was pretty tense and creepy.  

The 'invisible man' element created an imbalance in the tone which was a bit jarring. The film is set in such an ordinary suburban setting that the actual realisation that the man has turned himself invisible seems a bit silly .

But having said that , the movie is brilliant and if you can suspend your disbelief at the invisible man element, you'll love it. Amazing film.

4 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Does Elizabeth Moss spend an inordinate amount of time staring into/just off camera? If not I will be boycotting my local cinema.

She's great, seriously. She had me straining to discern movement or sounds from every inch of the screen.

Watched this last night - mainly on the forum good buzz. Really entertaining thriller with a few decent jump scares as well - worth a watch. 

On 02/03/2020 at 17:26, Chadruharazzeb said:

Is this streaming somewhere? 

16 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

No, it's in the cinema. 

16 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Cheers! 

Come on, @Chadruharazzeb, what was this all about?

• Upvote 1

He asked a question.  Nobody answered.  So he went to Google and found out all by himself, and then answered his own question.  And then he thanked himself for being kind enough to respond.

You're welcome.

• Upvote 3

What a brilliant interpretation of The Invisible Man source material. One moment made me involuntarily exclaim (something I never do).

Spoiler

C is explaining why she's not going mad to her sister in the restaurant and then the sister's neck suddenly  bursts open, blood flowing over the nice table cloth. The build up to this moment is beautifully directed, so subtle, and the fact it happens mid sentence is a corker. The script is often great too so it has an ability to wrongfoot you.

It really didn't end satisfactorily though. For me as soon as she 

Spoiler

gets committed and she has to escape it starts to follow Hollywood convention. 

Really enjoyed the ride.

• Upvote 1

This was solid, and a great performance from Moss. Also really clever direction with the lingers on empty spaces. Its a shame the third act become so conventional and predictable but it was still really entertaining.

Yeah, this was really good. Agree about the criticisms of the final act though. 

Spoiler

I was hoping after the brother was killed and turned out to be the Invisible Man, that Cecilia was still going to be adamant that Adrian was involved. But given all evidence pointed to him being dead, the film would end with her not knowing whether Adrian was still around or not and still checking empty corners constantly. Would have been darker than the ending we got, but I understand why they went for the ending they did. 

I liked the very ending.  I do agree it became less interesting though the more visible the titular character became.  The tension built up over the first hour or so was superb

On 09/03/2020 at 18:37, kerraig UK said:

This was solid, and a great performance from Moss. Also really clever direction with the lingers on empty spaces. Its a shame the third act become so conventional and predictable but it was still really entertaining.

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. 

I thought this was really well executed. Though when the camera kept lingering on empty chairs with no indent though... 

original.jpg.560e87330a626d277cfbd98dbb5f64b9.jpg

On 03/03/2020 at 20:33, Haribokart said:

Are you ok @Chadruharazzeb?

On 04/03/2020 at 09:47, JPL said:

Come on, @Chadruharazzeb, what was this all about?

On 04/03/2020 at 15:07, catinthehat said:

He asked a question.  Nobody answered.  So he went to Google and found out all by himself, and then answered his own question.  And then he thanked himself for being kind enough to respond.

You're welcome.

Catinthehat wins! 

1 hour ago, Don Wiskerando said:

You can it directly through Virgin now for £15.99.

Nice one.