FUSER - Now £38.99 in the Xbox sale and £39.59 on Switch! That's cheap compared to what it was, honest!

Why hello. Harmonix appear to be making all my dreams come true. 

As @Qazimod pointed out to me on Twitter, it appears to be using some of the tech from their card game Dropmix. That was smart as all fuck so I've got pretty high hopes that everything will sound amazing.

I didn't get Audica in the end (general concensus seems to be that Beat Saber is much better) but this has rocketed to my most anticipated of the year.

So yeah, I threw this at @Jolly's face Twitter Twitter-face but wanted him to be the MC when it came to thread duties. :D 

In a weird way I think it might out-DJ Hero DJ Hero - that game had ready-made mixes beforehand, and for a while it made sense to me because manually beatmatching two tracks can be a painstaking process that would be hard to "gamify". However, this already has all of the Dropmix tech behind it and is sticking it into something less outlandish than Dropmix, and something more DJ-ish than DJ Hero. It could be one to watch...

The lion's share of my time with Dropmix was just me on my own, prattling about (FOREVER ALONE).

I obviously do hope there's a good bit of game (and I'd love some high score, Frequency style leaderboard action) but I think there's a good chance I'd be happy with this if it was 'just' a mixing toy

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Yeah, pricing seems crazy. Maybe they have to charge more for the soundtrack licenses?

Clearly, but since this is clearly Dropmix The Videogame then some songs just won't be fun to use, and working out which ones are fun is going to be a lot more expensive than it was in Dropmix.

When I saw the price, I had to double check that it didn't come with some wacky peripheral.

Harmonix are really valuable to the industry, and I love that they try new things, but they steal defeat from the jaws of victory a lot of the time.

• 2 months later...

I love the looks of this, but really don't like the price-tag. Even worse, Steam doesn't appear to list what the songs available are, or what the 25 additional DLC tracks are. It doesn't even tell me what the 3 bonus songs are if I pre-order this today. There is no reason I can think of not to list this stuff, because while Billie Eilish may well be a selling point for some, she doesn't really do much for me. (I am genuinely more excited that Smash Mouth is in there, and gutted that the videos above made no use of it!)

If the Steam version matches the Switch version, then the bonus tracks are:

The Killers - Mr. Brightside 

Dua Lipa - New Rules (I have no clue what this is!)

Khalid - Young Dumb & Broke (I also don't know this one...)

And, I know about half of the songs from the VIP edition. If I bought all of the ones I know, let alone like, I can spend less than £30 on them indvidually. A saving of £15 that I was never going to spend is no saving. It infuriates me that videogames are still doing crap like this, making it so hard to support them. I want to support it, but a quick scan shows me that I can buy Dropmix for half this price. As I had never heard of Dropmix before today, this actually looks to be a better usage of my money. 

33 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I love the looks of this, but really don't like the price-tag. Even worse, Steam doesn't appear to list what the songs available are, or what the 25 additional DLC tracks are. It doesn't even tell me what the 3 bonus songs are if I pre-order this today. There is no reason I can think of not to list this stuff, because while Billie Eilish may well be a selling point for some, she doesn't really do much for me. (I am genuinely more excited that Smash Mouth is in there, and gutted that the videos above made no use of it!)

If the Steam version matches the Switch version, then the bonus tracks are:

The Killers - Mr. Brightside 

Dua Lipa - New Rules (I have no clue what this is!)

Khalid - Young Dumb & Broke (I also don't know this one...)

And, I know about half of the songs from the VIP edition. If I bought all of the ones I know, let alone like, I can spend less than £30 on them indvidually. A saving of £15 that I was never going to spend is no saving. It infuriates me that videogames are still doing crap like this, making it so hard to support them. I want to support it, but a quick scan shows me that I can buy Dropmix for half this price. As I had never heard of Dropmix before today, this actually looks to be a better usage of my money. 

I don't know how old you are but I'm knocking on 50 and find I live in this parallel universe where all music featured in games like this is from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. So when all the hits from the last 15 years or so get prominence I am like "who?" and consequently just don't feel the vibe at all. If games like this had an "old git edition" with nothing from after about 2008 I'd be happier.

14 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I don't know how old you are but I'm knocking on 50 and find I live in this parallel universe where all music featured in games like this is from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. So when all the hits from the last 15 years or so get prominence I am like "who?" and consequently just don't feel the vibe at all. If games like this had an "old git edition" with nothing from after about 2008 I'd be happier.

I'm also 50, but have a 26 year old son who keeps me at least vaguely in touch. But, he groaned when I read out "Dua Lipa" to him a few minutes ago as I was telling him how awesome the game looks. It turns out I actually know the Khalid song, just didn't know what it was called. That, in itself, tells you how memorable it is, although it's not awful by any stretch of the imagination.

1 minute ago, chamberlago said:

Got caught up in the hype and purchased the VIP edition on steam because I'm a sucker

I'm THIS close to joining you:

-> <-

I'm justifying it by the logic that it's something different, and therefore should be celebrated and supported. I don't think I need the VIP, but the idea that I may like some of the extra songs is making me teeter on the brink. 

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

I love the looks of this, but really don't like the price-tag. Even worse, Steam doesn't appear to list what the songs available are, or what the 25 additional DLC tracks are. 

vip_en-us.jpg

30 minutes ago, Vimster said:

You don't recognise the music - I can't even really tell what the game is here. I've watched a fair few gameplay videos as I'm actually generally a big fan of Harmonix' output, but this seems to mostly play itself. From what I can gather, it's mostly making sure new tracks go in on-beat and change regularly enough to keep the crowd engaged?

A DJ colleague who was reviewing it for our site hated the fact that it was so easily game-able. It only cares about matching the beat so you can be rewarded for horrible sounding monstrosities. Obviously this is always the case with musical games (remember the perfect score humming and howling on Rock Band etc) but it might be a helpful heads-up for anyone wanting a more immersive experience.

Just over a year ago I'd have been all over this. 

But then just over a year ago I got some entry level digital pioneer decks*, and honestly it's so easy do passable mixes with crutches that modern DJ software now can provide you.

Using the camelot wheel / Mixed in Key really makes it even easier. I realise this might seem like a silly thing to say but it's difference with rock band - it's a lot harder to get to a point where you're rocking out on a real guitar but a lot easier to just follow the software on digital decks and a lot closer to videogaming / rhythm action.

I realise I'm talking more like a £130 entry for some DDJ-200s but, still...

* The decks I bought ended up being a gateway - and I ended spending over a grand on fancier decks because I loved DJing so much

• Jolly changed the title to FUSER - Now £38.99 in the Xbox sale and £39.59 on Switch! That's cheap compared to what it was, honest!