Jump to content

FUSER - Harmonix does improvised DJ Hero - Now £17.99 Switch, £17.49 Xbox, £15.99 PS


Jolly
 Share

Recommended Posts

It looks like your barely save any money at all with the VIP version compared to buying the base pack and then the songs individually so it's probably just better value picking the DLC songs you actually want rather than going for the VIP version?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

It looks like your barely save any money at all with the VIP version compared to buying the base pack and then the songs individually so it's probably just better value picking the DLC songs you actually want rather than going for the VIP version?

 

That's my philosophy on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, footle said:

Not sure about game pass. The problem is that there’s music licensing fees involved.

 

Thats a very good point. 

 

What do you guys who have played think of it generally?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ry said:

 

Thats a very good point. 

 

What do you guys who have played think of it generally?

It’s fun.


The campaign is more of an extended tutorial, and the scoring system drives very frequent changes - more so than you’d normally do, or which are musically sensible.


it’s a shame that the requests from audience idea isn’t played with more in freestyle or another mode.

 

there’s basically quite a fun campaign mode stuck in there struggling to get out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been messing around with this for a few hours. As a game it's not great. The campaign is absolutely necessary as a tutorial but the way it constantly nags you to do things which just don't sound good so you can get your score up is annoying. And in terms of beat matching gameplay it's super basic anyway. They've really struggled to squeeze a game in here and DJ Hero was much more fun in terms of a score attack/ beat matching game.

 

DJ Hero was a completely different beast though obviously. It was much more Simon Says with a small element of freestyling as opposed to this which is really a basic mixing tool with a simplistic scoring element bolted on. It's all about the freestyle mode rather than the campaign really. I am far from a mixer or musician (I don't even know why I would want a mix in major or minor key) but it's a lot of fun trying out different tracks to see how they fit together. At £60 I think I would have felt a tad ripped off but at under 40 it's a fun tool to mess around with. With quick resume on Xbox I can definitely see myself dipping in and out in between other games over time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spent about an hour perfecting a mix I really liked last night. If you're looking for an actual game like Harmonix's earlier stuff you'll be disappointed, I think you have to view it as a creative tool first and foremost. I like how they ask people to submit a mix on a certain theme every week and then the players vote for their favourites but it just highlights how badly the game has tanked. Even the highest voted ones barely had more than 150 likes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Majora said:

I spent about an hour perfecting a mix I really liked last night. If you're looking for an actual game like Harmonix's earlier stuff you'll be disappointed, I think you have to view it as a creative tool first and foremost. I like how they ask people to submit a mix on a certain theme every week and then the players vote for their favourites but it just highlights how badly the game has tanked. Even the highest voted ones barely had more than 150 likes.


I think that wrong initial pricing decisions almost always ultimately doom a game (you never get a second chance to make a first impression), but I do hope that Harmonix manage to turn this around in terms of sales as they’re a vital developer IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Have played pretty much every Harmonix game over the years but sadly this is by far their worst. I may grow to like this but for now I'm finding it really disappointing. 

 

The campaign is pretty awful where instead of just getting into the flow of things and trying score points you are given loads of tasks to keep the crowd happy. Those tasks rarely make any sense and the clunky controls make it pretty frustrating. 

 

This should be a fun game but unless I'm missing something it's just now. I will persist and keep giving it a go but it's a shame that instead of making another Rock Band game they've spent their time making this. Not only that the release date and ridiculous pricing have sent it out to die. Such a shame 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just played the demo which is up on the Switch eShop.

 

It's good fun. Bit tricky to see what's going on in handheld mode (I've got a Switch Lite) but easy to play and it sounds cool through headphones.

 

Harmonix are the best at the music game genre but there's no way I'd pay more than about £25 for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Had a go because of the free weekend, probably will buy it at some point anyway, its more of a game than i expected, it looked more like a music creation thing, but still not as much of a game as i would want if that makes any sense. At one point i thought it was going to take all weekend to just get the calibration right, i think the visual calibration is right now at -100, the audio is still wrong. Who comes up with these numbers, surely itd be better to use the input lag from the tv and put that number in. Or at least they could tell you its based on a tv with 80ms input lag = 0 or whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not too sure how I feel about this. Played the first set of levels and started on the second. It's deeper than I expected, but the constant demands on the bottom right of the screen and audience requests just seem to make an unholy noise rather than anything with any flow. How does the scoring work? Is it as simple as keeping the tracks changing in between all the requests and instructions? At the end of one level I had done everything the game had asked reasonably well and still only had 2.5/5 as an overall rating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I'm not too sure how I feel about this. Played the first set of levels and started on the second. It's deeper than I expected, but the constant demands on the bottom right of the screen and audience requests just seem to make an unholy noise rather than anything with any flow. How does the scoring work? Is it as simple as keeping the tracks changing in between all the requests and instructions? At the end of one level I had done everything the game had asked reasonably well and still only had 2.5/5 as an overall rating. 

As far as I can tell forget about musicality and swap swap swap on downbeats. Then later on relevant, marked, points in the music.

 

it feels more like a music tool in freestyle mode, that they’ve then tried to force a campaign/teaching mode around. But they’ve also locked a whole load of music behind the campaign (which you won’t want to play twice - it’s not frequency) and playing freestyle forever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I don’t know how I feel about this - when you get a mix of tracks that work it’s a brilliant feeling but the game part of it constantly wants you to add stuff in that breaks the flow and just sounds like an unholy noise. 
 It may be that once you get through the training levels (which appear to be most of the game part) it lets you experiment and make music but like Dropmix before it there more that doesn’t work than does and at the price they are asking I’ll wait till it’s on gamepass or practically given away like Dropmix was. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I need to get back to this in order to unlock everything for Freestyle mode but the campaign is pretty boring, truth be told. The underlying tech is awesome, so it's a shame that so much cool stuff is gated. I can see why Harmonix needed some kind of tutorial system for all the concepts in the game, but I don't think the campaign was the best idea... or maybe they could done something to make that aspect of Fuser much better. I dunno.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I need to get back to this in order to unlock everything for Freestyle mode but the campaign is pretty boring, truth be told. The underlying tech is awesome, so it's a shame that so much cool stuff is gated. I can see why Harmonix needed some kind of tutorial system for all the concepts in the game, but I don't think the campaign was the best idea... or maybe they could done something to make that aspect of Fuser much better. I dunno.

Yeah I wish there was a 'just unlock everything' button. They've awkwardly tried to structure a game around what's more of a piece of software/music toy type of thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Currently £25 on PS Store and £30 on Xbox.

 

Sorely tempted to pick it up as I enjoyed the demo.

 

EDIT: Bought it on PS4. Spent 3 glorious hours dropping beats with a huge smile on my face.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Another permanent price drop.

 

£17.99 on Switch: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/FUSER--1749055.html

 

£17.49 on Xbox: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/fuser/9n9gj4lt7pv3?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

 

£15.99 on PlayStation: https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4831-CUSA24009_00-NC00000000000000/

 

No excuses now, folks! @Jollycan you include the price drop news in the thread title somewhere?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Jolly changed the title to FUSER - Harmonix does improvised DJ Hero - Now £17.99 Switch, £17.49 Xbox, £15.99 PS

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.