Hotshot Racing - Sumo Digital

I think the AI can be less of a pain on higher difficulties, because you're not always racing ahead then getting hit from behind, and I feel like the pack tends to spread a little more (I may have imagined that). Playing on Expert, when things went quite well I spent a lot of the race tucked behind the front runners, then trying to make a dash to get ahead on the final lap.

25 minutes ago, smac said:

The aggressive AI and constant jostling sounds a lot like those ancient PC racers, Screamer and S2. Which I loved, so this sounds good to me.

That's the main thing this reminded me of, endlessly playing the PC Gamer Screamer coverdisk demo. 

I also got that vibe from the earlier trailers, but it's good to have it confirmed, thanks. I beat all of the S2 tracks with all of the base cars, and my strong memory is jostling and drifting around corners, nose to nose, trying to pull ahead for the choke points.

OK, I think I'm up for this one. 

I'm thoroughly enjoying this. The wonderfully  over the top AI aggression and rubber banding to the max make it feel far more distinctive to play than it first looked. It has a quite unique rhythm to it, with that long build up where you are simply trying to stay in with a fighting chance of victory. A bit like being in the leading  pack for much of a long distance running race with the hope of getting in a decent position and using your super sprinting skills  right at the end. It works well because the courses are fairly short and races not too long, so I've not found myself getting frustrated when fucked over. Keeping up and staying out of trouble is an engaging challenge. Importantly, the handling is spot on too. The drifting is great.

I'm enjoying this, but it is rather frustrating that you can't remap the controls as it's stopping me from making the change to manual. I tend to just use one trigger finger on the right hand side so can't change gear and accelerate at the same time. 

Do developers just plain forget to put this stuff in or is it intentional? It seems bizarre to go to the effort of having a settings and controls section and then not allowing you to change it unless it's a design decision. 

32 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I'm enjoying this, but it is rather frustrating that you can't remap the controls as it's stopping me from making the change to manual. I tend to just use one trigger finger on the right hand side so can't change gear and accelerate at the same time. 

Do developers just plain forget to put this stuff in or is it intentional? It seems bizarre to go to the effort of having a settings and controls section and then not allowing you to change it unless it's a design decision. 

Do we know what the performance increase is like when using manual and if its a big advantage at the expert levels? 

I noticed that the dev ghost times (some of them at least) seemed to be set using AT. 

52 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

Many people got this on the ps4?? I love a time trail and aiming to beat other times like on trackmania turbo.

I've got it on PS4, ID is RivaOni, tempted to download it on Xbox too tbh.

Oh and in my email I found this from the launch day press release:

there are no microtransactions, and Sumo Nottingham and Lucky Mountain Games are already working on free post-release downloadable content in the guise of new tracks, a new championship and more! Further details on this exciting new content will be shared in the weeks ahead.

1 hour ago, Theholyhogg said:

Many people got this on the ps4?? I love a time trail and aiming to beat other times like on trackmania turbo.

on xbox but will try and join in if anyone posts any times here :)

On 12/09/2020 at 16:55, wev said:

So what car does everyone prefer? I haven't tried all of them but really love Thunder (especially in green and yellow)

I used Toshiro and the Fusion but had to switch to the Wild Line to beat Downtown and the final GP on Expert.

It feels like they've got the core nailed. Feels fun to drive and drift, it's smooth and feels fast enough, but it's everything else that lets it down.

It's just so conservative, I want to be flying off ramps and driving up walls but the tracks are just so dull. Like somebody else said, not even enough opportunities to get your drift on. The vehicles, the characters, it's all so wet. They needed to go crazy and have fun with everything but they've just played it far too safe.

Normal and hard feel too easy straight off the bat, and it doesn't feel like I'm quite ready for expert mode so there's no porridge that's just right.

I'll stick with it, but I can't see it having much staying power. Not fun enough to make up for it's lack of personality.

One thing I love is that it's very respectful of your time. Zero loading times, and you can just hammer the A button through everything.

You can't force high refresh rates in fullscreen mode, you need to run it borderless windowed with vsync off. The framerate is uncapped and at 144hz feels really smooth.

2 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Normal and hard feel too easy straight off the bat, and it doesn't feel like I'm quite ready for expert mode so there's no porridge that's just right.

I thought the progression was ok, I’ve had a fun few days with it but there’s just not enough of it. Hopefully they’ll add a few more single player GPs with the free dlc that’s been mentioned. I’ll chip away at the time trials but I’m not really interested in the online.

Picked this up on Switch yesterday and had a quick few goes, looks really colourful and seems ideal for a quick gaming session. Will be interesting to see what happens with the updates/DLC.

Normal and Hard done, the AI is DEFINITELY less of a fucker on Hard. Still got 'blue shelled' a couole of times but not as much as on normal.

Not sure how much more I'll play after I do the Expert GPs. If I manage them, the difficulty steps up a bit.

This is very good in online multiplayer with friends, had a blast with it on friday night. You can set the join options to friends-only and fill the rest of the spaces with AI so can keep it private. With the AI set on Normal they disappear into the background quite quickly and the three of us were just left to battle it out on the track, which was great.

Minor grumbles would be that the setup options are very simplistic, you just pick a track and race it, and then pick another track and race that. No options to pick a grand prix-type setup with 4-5 courses and overall leaderboards unfortunately.

Not had a chance to try the single player yet, but can't imagine it will be as much fun as the multi.

really quite enjoying this - but a bit dissappointed that you can't pull off sweet full 360 spins like in RR:R and the likes.   I'd also say the tracks are a bit wide in places with not enough drifting potential.  I want to basically be racing sideways ALL THE TIME.

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Digital Foundry do their thing:

Watching that's made me think of something I want:

So each of the Grand Prix has four tracks, but each of those tracks is usually an alternate route through a prior location (so you get multiple Jurassic Park circuits etc) and you can see when your driving round where each track deviates, so an additional GP, still with four races but also with each race now having four laps and you do a lap of each track variant would be cool

As would be including an Outrun style mode

Playing this on PC and enjoying it, nice and simple arcade racing like it used to be. Not sure how much mileage this will have as I'm struggling with Normal at the moment, pretty crap I know, but maybe with some practice it'll improve. Really loving the Virtua Racing-esque presentation although it's a little too busy at times. I can see this as my Saturday evening blast whilst having a few ciders.

This is brilliant. Have been caning the first 4 tracks on time trial for an hour or so. It's got that sweet sumo/outrun/sonic racing handling and dna. 

Really impressed and can't believe this just appeared on gamepass. Actually got a bit emotional as I nailed one of my first drifts, got serious flashbacks to playing Outrun on Xbox. 

The drift handling in this is a delight.

I wasn't looking forward to the AI from some of the early impressions here, and yeah it sucks when they manage to PIT you head-on into a wall, but more often than not they just make me start drifting, adding to the boost meter, so they do keep that constant risk/reward feeling up for most of the race until I boost away after the final corner.

I should love this game but I don’t. I just completed normal without even trying or playing particularly well. I didn’t even realise there was a boost gauge till the 4th cup!

It looks great but it just doesn’t feel right. It’s like I’m driving on an ice skating rink and I don’t mean I’m spinning out everywhere, more that it’s all just too smooth and not in a good way. I can’t feel the car grip to the road or feel like I’m pushing the drift to it’s edge. It’s all just a bit dull. Add the fact that a crash has zero punishment as I’m back with the other cars within seconds and that the cars are always literally just behind with Mario Kart 64 rubber banding and I never feel like I’m actually racing.

Even starting off the line is odd, you either start too slow or if you manage the boost timing right you zoom off but in a rather unspectacular fashion that again just doesn’t feel like your zooming off the line.

Im glad it’s on game pass as it’d have been a disappointing purchase but it doesn’t feel like a 90s arcade racer at all to me.

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

I just completed normal

. It’s all just a bit dull.

if you've only played normal - just to say it works like mario kart so normal = 50cc (which the game doesn't seem to explain very well), so yeah it can be a bit slow/boring. the other modes are a lot better/faster/exciting imo anyway.

6 hours ago, spatular said:

if you've only played normal - just to say it works like mario kart so normal = 50cc (which the game doesn't seem to explain very well), so yeah it can be a bit slow/boring. the other modes are a lot better/faster/exciting imo anyway.

100%

Honestly, when I was playing on Normal I kept thinking of that F1 karting game on PS3/x360 just minus the power ups, then changed to Had (then Expert) and the jump in just how much more fun it is banished those thoughts