Hotshot Racing - Sumo Digital

I think the characters are grating and lazy, but racist? A toffee-nosed English guy, a glib American and a robotic Japanese guy? Such claims do a deep disservice to real racism. 

Yeah, you just hit the A Button or whatever. It's not as nuanced as Ridge's Double/Triple Boost and Ultimate Charge mechanics.

Finally had a bit of a play just now, I've got to echo the notion that the AI is very 'Ghandi in Sid Meier's Civilization'. Just constant taps during drifts and straight-up PITs don't make for a fun game. Standard Ridge 6/7 tactics of hoarding all your boosts, hanging around in top flight until you get to the last third of the last lap and boosting like a cunt alleviates the issue a little. 

Although it seems like the way GPs are weighted fairly - despite coming in last from a full on 180 caused by AI, I somehow still ended up joint first. So, uh, thanks?

After a lot of problems getting a race online last night I've just had a solid couple of hours of ranked racing that was great fun, probably one of the best racing-lite sessions since GTI Club on the PS3 way back when. Can't quite work out how the ranking itself actually works and it's a bugger being caught out by mirror tracks but you can't beat coming out of the final corner then boosting ahead mere yards from the line. And yes it's mph so yards is valid, metric pedants :)

On 10/09/2020 at 18:23, Mr Majestyk said:

Such a shame the AI ruins the single player on this, as the online is great fun. But in SP you just spend the entire race being punted by the AI.

Just to add, having spent some more time with it, while annoying, I can see what they were aiming for with the AI, it's constant neck and neck racing, and while it could be tweaked, it's not "ruined", just FFFUUUUUU inducing :)

9 hours ago, Popo said:

I think the characters are grating and lazy, but racist? A toffee-nosed English guy, a glib American and a robotic Japanese guy? Such claims do a deep disservice to real racism. 

I don’t want to derail this thread, but this is a really poor take.

Don’t believe for a second that lazy stereotypes are ok, a joke, and are not “real racism”.

I played online last night and found that slipstreaming brings you back alongside the opponents really quickly, increases your boost bar and keeps you level with the pack. Do the race in someone elses slipstream then use the boosts over the last couple of corners and you win every time.  I can see what they were going for but severe rubber banding is a Blackpool promenade arcade thing where everyone paid a quid each for 5 minutes of fun.  In the home, "arcade" is a gameplay style. The winner should be the player that practices and plays better. In this, the rubber banding is too obvious, and most players online end up seemingly equally as good as each other, with a tight pack of cars, and the winner is whoever boosts out of the pack in the end.  I'm not saying I want to have the winner a mile ahead of the pack, some rubber banding is important and helps make the game exciting.  But the rubber bands are too tight on this and every online player ends up bunched together.  It's still a brilliant game, and I'm really enjoying it, but that is my main criticism so far.

Also the music is great. I turned the voices off after my first go, and I'm not sure why there even are characters to choose from. I like the nods to other games  like the fruit machine and dinosaurs (Daytona) . I.enjoyed the cops and robbers mode and the blow up mode too.  Fix the AI and you have a winner.

13 hours ago, BeeJay said:

The ridiculous AI must be intentional as ther is no way this could have got through testing if unintentional.

Yeah their Tweets are basically promoting the AI

It’s getting incredible reviews everywhere, and yes it’s pretty great except for the damn AI!

2 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Yeah their Tweets are basically promoting the AI

It’s getting incredible reviews everywhere, and yes it’s pretty great except for the damn AI!

Opencritic has 76% so the reviews are not particularly great, most likely due to the AI.

The time trialing is actually really good and exposes the nuances of the drifting and boost system really well. I've done a couple of hours on the first track and got up to 13th on the leaderboards and it has completely changed my perspective on how to approach the game. I doubt that i'll go back to the grand prix mode now. 

9 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

After a lot of problems getting a race online last night I've just had a solid couple of hours of ranked racing that was great fun, probably one of the best racing-lite sessions since GTI Club on the PS3 way back when. Can't quite work out how the ranking itself actually works and it's a bugger being caught out by mirror tracks but you can't beat coming out of the final corner then boosting ahead mere yards from the line. And yes it's mph so yards is valid, metric pedants :)

Do you think the ranked racing is peer to peer as I can't get a race at all. I am on a mobile internet connection which has nat issues so peer-to-peer online is generally a no-go, but server based is usually fine.

5 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Opencritic has 76% so the reviews are not particularly great, most likely due to the AI.

Ah yeah, Lucky Mountain are obviously only posting the positive feedback on their twitter page :lol:

Just had a quick go on expert AI and it is a much, much better racing experience than lower difficulties. The consistent bashing was not there and the rubber banding wasn't anywhere near as obvious.

Feels like I’m the only one that doesn’t mind the AI, it keeps the racing tense for all 3 laps and provides a good challenge. I do think you need to mostly slipstream to keep up and use boosts tactically to either catchup and get in the slipstream again or to get out of trouble/past narrow sections of track (where carnage can occur) while chaining drifts as much as possible. One GP left to gold on Expert, an easy 8/10 from me just for the GP and Time Trial modes, I probably won’t play the others that much.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

Feels like I’m the only one that doesn’t mind the AI, it keeps the racing tense for all 3 laps and provides a good challenge. I do think you need to mostly slipstream to keep up and use boosts tactically to either catchup and get in the slipstream again or to get out of trouble/past narrow sections of track (where carnage can occur) while chaining drifts as much as possible. One GP left to gold on Expert, an easy 8/10 from me just for the GP and Time Trial modes, I probably won’t play the others that much.

I think I’m coming round to your way of thinking . The drifting mechanic is so good. Definitely a good game. I think maybe if it was a kart racer no-one would mind. In fact if it looked like Power Drift or something people would have gone mad for it.

The obvious nods to arcade racers of the past meant I didn’t expect the AI to be like it is. 
For the record I love the cheesy characters and voices and little story bits

Despite the flaws I am enjoying this a lot and it feels like a blend of Ridge Racer and Outrun 2. I think the Virtua Racing style graphics have wrong footed a few folk on what to expect gameplay wise, but this suits me as I love the two primary influences. I must say it also excels in no loading no fluff. Just straight into the action and you can finish a cup in about 15 mins or so. 

This is great. I was on the fence about buying this or Inertial Drift, and I'm happy with my pick so far. I've just been through the first three GPs on Normal, and it's exhilarating. :D

I haven't had any trouble with the AI so far. It's aggressive and certainly rubber bandy, but then it's the kind of game that relies upon having opponents constantly around to keep things exciting. It seems to work both ways too, with one slip up putting me at the back of the pack, and then back in front in the space of a single lap.

4 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I’m with you. Not played much but it made it real edge of the seat stuff for the whole Grand Prix. Not one for purists who want to demo their skills by getting miles ahead of the pack but if you use the drifting, slip streaming and boosting well there is a definite skill to coming out on top. 

Also love it when you get nudged positively into a corner which has happened to me quite a few times. 

I won the first grans prix and was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. Even for the character ending. So silly. 

The AI is aggressive, but you can fight back and since then game doesn’t do the annoying Mario Kart trick of having one racer picking up maximum points every time, so if you do get spun out and finish 5th you can easily still win.

And 2 player split screen we had a lot of stunningly close finishes which are just great fun.

Enjoying it much more than I expected to. Another win for game pass. 

52 minutes ago, wev said:

So what car does everyone prefer? I haven't tried all of them but really love Thunder (especially in green and yellow)

I’m still undecided but like the Russian’s balanced car. I spend most of the time ping-ponging along the track and coming in last so although the speed cars look the coolest they’re not for me. 

Damn this game is very moreish...

I'm all about the drift cars in this and am absolutely loving it. Proper NFS Hot Pursuit vibes, without that title's depth obviously. Someone earlier was bemoaning the fact they didn't just keep it simple and make a good arcade racer, for me they've focussed on maybe 4 key areas and made a belter. Drifting, slipstreaming, battling and boosting all combine to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout every race. I've just finished the last race on normal, so if things get worse on hard I'll be gutted, but I'm loving what I've played so far.