Hotshot Racing - Sumo Digital

Played a few races on the Switch in handheld - they've nailed the look and more importantly the handling, they're both great and its a joy to fling the cars round the nice wide tracks.

The AI needs patching as its a bit ludicrous, but so far can't say I'm finding it ruinous, but guess it could grate over time.

My first impressions are that the handling is great for the most part and the look and feel are great. Have to agree that that A.I. drivers are a huge fun spoiler though. The constant bashing followed by the inevitable facing the wrong way totally feel at odds with the overall vibe of the game. 

Playing some multiplayer on PS4 now. Managed to get 4 or 5 people a number of times just by choosing quick race and going in with randoms. It's been good fun.

Except sometimes it goes wrong and the race just won' start. It's happened a number of times already. When it works it's been a very smooth experience. 

The handlings good, the colours and decorations around the track too and it’s quite fun in a race.

The tracks are the disappointment for me - barely any corners worthy of drift and very little elevation.

I’ve only played it on normal and the AI hasn’t bothered me so far, with slipstream, chaining drifts and a tactical boost you’re back in the race pretty quick. The car has weight too so you can hold your own a bit. Finished a race by slipstreaming the last 3 cars, as I had no boost, for the win by a bumper and cheered aloud :D. Love the naff little stories at the end of a GP too. 

8 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The tracks do get more interesting when you're going faster on higher difficulties. I prefer playing on Expert, even if I can't win the first GP yet.

Yep, Experts where its at, but its also where the AI's at its worst

4 hours ago, Popo said:

Is there any reason to let the boost meter fill up all segments?

The rubber banding is pretty full on, so keeping them reserved for the last stretch isn’t a bad idea.

48 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Feels like a cross between Sonic All Stars Transformed and Ridge Racer. A good thing. Not found the AI particularly troubling. 

Agreed - it’s like Virtua Racing meets Burnout, infused with the spirit of Mario Kart. 

Ive got gold on all the GPs on normal and hard now. I’m really enjoying it in spite of the crashy, smashy enemy cars. 

The look and feel is great. The drifting is spot on. There are a lot of fun little touches like the big Jurassic Park gates at the start of the dinosaur track. I do wish it was more Daytona USA than Destruction Derby, but what it is is fun. 

This has the worst AI I can remember in a driving game. Even on Normal they ram you from behind and spin you off course. 

Add in framerate drops (on switch) , super wide boring tracks and you have a game to avoid.

Rubbish. 

This feels like a great console game. Absolutely love it.  Brilliant.  I think the AI is a bit much (everyone seems grouped together and it is easy to go from first to last in seconds) but I'm absolutely loving it.  And fantastically it's on Gamepass so everyone I know also can play it multiplayer with me.

Handles well, don't mind the aggressive AI as it complements my own cack handed, ramming opponents all the time, driving style. Graphics are perfect... 

But gears on the bumpers and no way to customise the controls? Why? Why would anyone do that? 

I don't know, I didn't make it! I know they did a lot of internal playtests. I dunno if you noticed, but there's been something going on in the world that's meant it's kinda tricky to do our usual thing of getting in impartial balance testers to give feedback. Especially as the guys will have finished this game from their homes with the office being closed since March.

One of the interesting problems about making games is after you've spent a good year or so working on one, you get pretty good at playing it.

It's why you have to take feedback from QA that the game is too easy with a pinch of salt.

They probably OutRan the AI so didn't notice. Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one :)