Hotshot Racing - Sumo Digital

It looks wonderful, far more my couple of tea than the usual hyper realistic bollocks you see everywhere these days. My only concern is the same as Moose’s - the video I watched looked a bit to rubber-bandy. If I get my shit together and zoom off into a commanding lead, I want to fairly keep it!

It looks the part, but may not play like it. Looks very floaty.

The arcade racer is a lost art. Personally I don't think every single one now needs turbo/nitrous, and Burnout type collisions.

Having said that, the last really decent arcade racer IMO was Split Second, (even if the AI was a cheap bastard.)

Since then not a lot, unless I've overlooked something

The one little detail i really , really like, is the way the back end of the car seemingly vibrates at full speed - just like in Daytona USA. That throwaway bit of animation really helps sell the sense of speed 

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/07/2020 at 14:54, englishbob said:

It looks the part, but may not play like it. Looks very floaty.

The arcade racer is a lost art. Personally I don't think every single one now needs turbo/nitrous, and Burnout type collisions.

Having said that, the last really decent arcade racer IMO was Split Second, (even if the AI was a cheap bastard.)

Since then not a lot, unless I've overlooked something

This. I've just watched the trailer and it looks so uninspiring to play. Love the art and details though 

15 minutes ago, klargon said:

I feel I should manage expectations a little... It hasn’t been confirmed that it’s on game pass, just reported in a few places.

Ban request.

Spoiler

;)

17 minutes ago, klargon said:

I feel I should manage expectations a little... It hasn’t been confirmed that it’s on game pass, just reported in a few places.

That xbox game pass logo on the release date trailer is pretty confusing if its still not confirmed for game pass :huh:

image.png.02ccbecddfaf2e260b99f7ee2759bfec.png

I'm guessing game pass didn't want to jump the gun on a date before the developers themselves.

They also have previous for dropping meme posts to inform people of game pass games dropping immediately, so there's that.

I hasten to say that I’m excited by Hotshot Racing but things like boosting, damage and additional modes like cops and robbers all seem like a sop to modern, post-Burnout racing mores, and belie the 90s arcade roots the devs say they’re going for. 

When it comes to arcade racers I very much take an Ahmish view - that god in his almighty wisdom gave us just the right amount of gameplay between 1992 and 1999. 

I realise that doesn’t make me very ‘cool’ and you might call me ‘grandad’ but all I want is an arcade racer with quirky handling that’s easy to learn but difficult to master and 1 car/3 courses tops; MAYBE a mirror mode if one enters up down left right A B start on the title screen, but it’s not necessary. 

Here endeth my drunken rant. 

54 minutes ago, nakamura said:

What does this actually mean? 

Hopefully it means that it has been designed and optimised to run perfectly on the Switch rather than some corners being cut if e.g. PS4 was lead platform and had features the Switch couldn’t cope with.

2 hours ago, nakamura said:

Is it me or is it constantly slowing down a touch every second or so?

That video is fucking horrible. I'd take that video down personally, if its not representative of the final game.