Hotshot Racing - Sumo Digital

2 hours ago, wev said:

Honestly, when I was playing on Normal I kept thinking of that F1 karting game on PS3/x360 just minus the power ups, then changed to Had (then Expert) and the jump in just how much more fun it is banished those thoughts

Wait what? How does the game not even mention this?

Will try it on Hard and Expert so see whether that clicks a bit better then :)

Don’t waste boost trying to get too far ahead, they’ll just catch you up. Slipstreaming is the main tactic to keep with the pack, drifting also to build boost. Make a break for it half way round the last lap making sure you have a boost for the final straight. I used the Balanced car for all except the final expert GP where I switched to the Acceleration car, mainly for the 3rd track.

I'm finding the jump in difficulty between Hard and Expert a bit much. Normal and Hard are ridiculously easy, I got first place in most GP's, only needing to retry a few where I came second. But Expert is far, far tougher, to the point where I don't feel like the game has taught me enough about how to handle the car.

It doesn't help that every race is the same: nail the start, shoot into the lead and spend the entire race being overtaken by most, if not the entire field. It's the opposite of how an arcade racer is supposed to work.

13 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

It doesn't help that every race is the same

As fun as it is, I do agree. If you compare it to, say, Daytona USA - beginners track has you gunning it for the most part, needing to use the brakes on the last corner; intermediate you need to use the brakes a lot to navigate the trickier corners, and; expert casts you as the brakes fucking master, with a massive corner coming at you every few seconds. By the end, you’ve learned how to power slide and use it to deadly effect on the last course. 

Hotshot Racing has you doing big, easy slides right from the off and kinda maintains that pitch for the duration of the courses. The sense of progression is mute by comparison to the games it tries to remind you of. 

2 hours ago, Popo said:

As fun as it is, I do agree. If you compare it to, say, Daytona USA - beginners track has you gunning it for the most part, needing to use the brakes on the last corner; intermediate you need to use the brakes a lot to navigate the trickier corners, and; expert casts you as the brakes fucking master, with a massive corner coming at you every few seconds. By the end, you’ve learned how to power slide and use it to deadly effect on the last course. 

Hotshot Racing has you doing big, easy slides right from the off and kinda maintains that pitch for the duration of the courses. The sense of progression is mute by comparison to the games it tries to remind you of. 

That last corners all about manual transmission

Yeah I've tried Expert with a few different cars and seemed to have the best success with acceleration based ones, but while the ai is less aggressive in a bashy sense the rubber banding just goes through the roof. I can't be arsed with that. Ah well.

Picked this up on steam, played for an hour wasnt that impressed tbh.  Not a fan of the graphical style (Virtua Racing meets Fortnite springs to mind) tracks are unforgettable and don`t get me started on the AI.  Disappointed is a understatement.  After the fine work Sumo has done over the years with Sega ports and Sonic all star racing, I`m surprised this is the best they can come up with!  

Anyway, still got my 360 under the tv with Outrun 2, Daytona, Sega Rally, Ridge Racer 6, PGR4 on for some Arcade racer goodness. :D

The first time I played this thought it was only just ok. Felt slow/easy and the strategy of building up boost and then using it on the last two corners means you win every time. After playing longer I released a lot of the races are only like a minute and a half so this strategy doesn't make the rest of the game invalid. It's kinda cool spending the first two laps going up to four bars and then unleashing at the end.

As I've got to the harder levels the drift mechanic has become more important and that means you collect more boost which means you fill the bar before the last lap so can use it in a more strategic way.

I think more favourably of this now. I think it will stay in my rotation of games for quite a while. At points it reminds me of that joyride Xbox live racer on 360. 

Reading all the stuff about the tracks being wide and flat I was expecting SNES mario kart. There is more elevation and banking in the tracks than I expected but I do think it would have been a better game with more variety and track surfaces. 

I do like the graphical style but think more detail but in the same art style could have been cool. Like if they went crazy far instead of half assed. The whole game is a bit like that really. What's there is fine but it's like they set out to make something basic. I get that it's only £15 but a short hike was a small slice of a game too but that felt like it was made with love and that they'd put every ounce of what they could do in it. Tiny trax from futurlab was less of a game than this but was more complete and a better thought out gameplay concept. This is sumo barely lifting a finger to give us budget racing. 

Still, it's pretty good. While this genre still gets games, a lot of them fall under the radar and aren't that frequent. This is on about a par with stuff like Trailblazers rather than Wipeout Omega. It reminds me of the psone days when you'd get a load of racers that were well made and fun but didn't really stand out.

Really liking this but I'd prefer to use the face buttons for accelerator and brake but it seems it's not possible.

I'm finding the shoulder buttons awkward and there's no point in forcing people to use them if they're not analogue.

Yeah, downloaded it earlier and had a few games; it's a blast so far. Easy to get the hang of, although it seems coy about which button actually triggers boost. I worked it out.

Trying to start a Twitter feed dedicated to arcade racers. Give me a follow, and when the next gen comes out, I can point to my millions of followers that proves beyond doubt that there is a market for these games. Cheers!  

First of all, absolutely love the style. In the same way Horizon Chase is a love letter to early 90s 16bit racers, I think this is a lovely 3D racer throwback. I like the tracks too. I'm a little worried that I just have rose tints for the tracks in old games. Like, I absolutely remember the difference in Out Run (arcade) tracks, but I'm not sure I could recall any part of them. And the drift mechanic is excellent, just perfectly weighted and I feel like if it screws up it's because I screwed it up.

I hate the AI. I'm doing it on normal at the moment, and while winning everything it' by the skin of my teeth. Although, reading comments here, it sounds like if I spin off I should stick with it and keep going, rather than restart.

Anyway, why I really wanted to comment here is that my 7 year old son really likes this game. It's the first racer he properly gets. No longer are cars whose rears tend to come out "doughnut cars", this is the first game he's ever totally licked the drift mechanic and is enjoying it, to the extent he always chooses the car which kinda looks like a 911 with max drift stats. Also, my daughter then played and he told her to pick a car with high acceleration stats. Why? Because she doesn't play racers much, and acceleration means she can pull away quicker when crashing/bumping.

Proud dad moment.

Love everything about the style of this game, but as mentioned the AI in Normal at least are fucking stupid and actively make the game less enjoyable.

Hoping whoever it was that said they get less ridiculously aggressive on Expert is right. 

Out of curiosity which view are you all racing from? Someone on Twitter said bumper cam gave them Ridge Racer vibes so now I want to boot it up again and see for myself, as I’d just stuck with the default view from behind the car

They're not as bad on Expert, certainly not as regularly crashy, but I've lost count of the number of races where the only time I've been hit is by a CPU driver just smashing into me in a corner as if they didn't bother to drift, and then I'm pointing in the wrong direction.

I hope they dial that back a little, I don't mind a bit of rubbing, but the aggression plus the rubber banding is a bit irritating.

5 hours ago, ilpostino said:

They're not as bad on Expert, certainly not as regularly crashy, but I've lost count of the number of races where the only time I've been hit is by a CPU driver just smashing into me in a corner as if they didn't bother to drift, and then I'm pointing in the wrong direction.

I hope they dial that back a little, I don't mind a bit of rubbing, but the aggression plus the rubber banding is a bit irritating.

I call that "being blue-shelled".

Hmm. Seems this is getting a mixed reaction even though it looks like it should be perfect for me, but I've been burned before. Shame there is no demo (I don't have gamepass, just PS4 or Switch) as would love to give it a go before throwing my money down. How does the handling compare to the Ridge games?

This probably won't help...

I've only played 1 and a half championships, so 6 races.  For me it doesn't compare to RR at all.  The handling is too loose, sort of like you're on ice, no feel at all, and combined with being quite responsive, can feel skitty and inaccurate.  It doesn't have that amazing accuracy / placement feel that I love in drift games.

The tracks seem to be massively wide, and aren't that exciting, the style is too over the top and becomes irritating rather than fun, especially the voice work.  The bright colours are amazing though, and the cars themselves look great.

The completely unforgiving thing, and the reason I turned it off after 45 minutes probably never to go back, is the AI.  The rubber banding is awful, combined with the ramming, it's more like a bungee cord.  The AI just drives into you, constantly.  

As others have said, ymmv on higher difficulties.