IGNORED

Jurassic World: Dominion (Jurassic World 3)

JohnC

2 hours ago, sandman said:

Saw this earlier in a mostly empty screening. Thought this was excellent, better than the last one (which was much better than I had been led to believe).

The cast are uniformly excellent which is extremely rare in a modern blockbuster. 

My ranking after recently watching all 6 films

1 - Jurassic Park

2 - Jurrasic World

3 - Jurrasic World Dominion

4 - Jurrasic Park 3

6 - Jurrasic Park Fallen Kingdom 

7 - The lost World 

The Lost World worse than 3 and JW:FK :blink:

22 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I think The Lost World's biggest crime was making Jeff Goldblum boring.

Yeah, how odd is this? His character completely changed between the films, and not in a good way.

The Lost World was a film Steven Spielberg didn’t want to make, based on a book that Michael Crichton didn’t want to write. Still has some good bits, a great late-90s look and feel, a wonderful score, and has Pete Postlethwaite. It deserves to be higher than 7th (lol).

It was a train wreck imo.

Firstly, it's a rare talent to make action sequences boring. But they ticked that box big time. 

Secondly a lot of the CGI was ropey. Which is pretty inexcusable given the budget. 

I felt it was overly saturated with dinosaurs, even for a film about them. A lot of them were hybrid things, because apparently T rex and raptors aren't really all that interesting anymore. The stamina they attributed to some of the dinosaurs in one of the chase scenes was ridiculous, no animal could maintain a chase of that speed and duration. I appreciate they want to make them impressive and frightening but it just came off as unbelievable to me. 

Bitterly disappointed all in. Waste of time and money. 

28 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Yeah, how odd is this? His character completely changed between the films, and not in a good way.

The Lost World was a film Steven Spielberg didn’t want to make, based on a book that Michael Crichton didn’t want to write. Still has some good bits, a great late-90s look and feel, a wonderful score, and has Pete Postlethwaite. It deserves to be higher than 7th (lol).

I've always liked The Lost World. It's dark and quite nasty in places. Not Temple of Doom dark and nasty but getting there.

3 hours ago, sandman said:

Saw this earlier in a mostly empty screening. Thought this was excellent, better than the last one (which was much better than I had been led to believe).

The cast are uniformly excellent which is extremely rare in a modern blockbuster. 

My ranking after recently watching all 6 films

1 - Jurassic Park

2 - Jurrasic World

3 - Jurrasic World Dominion

4 - Jurrasic Park 3

6 - Jurrasic Park Fallen Kingdom 

7 - The lost World 

For me...

1. Jurassic Park 

2. Lost World

3. Jurassic Park 3

4. Jurassic World 

5. Fallen Kingdom 

6. Dominion.

Having given it a bit of thought, I think maybe another way this film suffers as well is - there's no main villain dinosaur. For want of a better term. 

In the first 2 films, T Rex was the apex predator and the scariest dinosaur, holding the audiences attention and supplying the jumps. With the raptors a close second. Same in The Lost World. Jurassic Park 3, it was the Spinosaurus, it's fear factor firmly cemented by killing a T Rex. In Lost World, it was the Indominus Rex. In Fallen Kingdom, it was the Indominus Raptor. Then we come to Dominion, there's no strong apex predator supplying the jumps, tension and fear factor. It's a mish mash of a few predatory dinosaurs. The one they do mention as being the biggest land carnivore ever known isn't all that impressive and doesn't have much screen time at all. Doesn't supply any jumps or tension, at least it didn't for me. 

41 minutes ago, Papilio said:

For me...

1. Jurassic Park 

2. Lost World

3. Jurassic Park 3

4. Jurassic World 

5. Fallen Kingdom 

6. Dominion.

I’ve not seen Dominion yet, but I agree with this. There’s a fairly sharp drop after the first film, then a pretty steady decline. Although JP3 and JW would probably switch places depending on which way the wind was blowing.

14 minutes ago, Papilio said:

In the first 2 films, T Rex was the apex predator and the scariest dinosaur, holding the audiences attention and supplying the jumps.

I’d say this was the raptor, for the first film at least. The film is built to slowly increase the fear of this particular dino until it’s finally revealed around 100 minutes(!) in.

The opening death scene > the raptor dig and scaring the kid > the raptor hatching > feeding the cow > clever girl > maintenance shed > incredible kitchen scene > ending.

The T-Rex only makes a couple of appearances and actually saves them all at the end.

I would put Fallen Kingdom in my top twenty worst films ever watched. Genuinely and truly, unwatchably, ruiniously awful. JW is a bland soft reboot, watchable but for the terrible teenage lads and horrible misogyny. 

This one was passable. Even stunt casting the original cast is forgivable, as they aren't cunts and are genuinely pleasant to watch. Their presence added the sum total of flap-all to the story, though, and had clearly been given b-plot stuff that that easily have been cut if the actors had told the producers to fuck off. Explains the vast runtime as well. 

I liked a good few of the set pieces, although it still singularly failed to make the dinos actual characters because Trevorrow is a hack. Amazing he managed to land the gig, let alone keep it for three films. Although some of the blame has to land on the shoulders of the leads, who are bloody awful and have zero chemistry. 

Still, as I say, some OK action and the presence of the original cast, more scenes sensibly shot in darkness, a focus on genetics and science we've not had since the first film and my favourite thing of all the films (making JP3 one of my top films in the franchise): sci-fi architecture/outposts. It's average but the other two were legit unpalatable trash, so it wins by default. 

Jurassic Park

JP3

Lost World

Dominion 

JW

Rampage

Pacific Rim 2

Godzilla 98

Some 5 year old filming his plastic dinosaur toys on a twenty year old Nokia.

Fallen Kingdom

4 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I’d say this was the raptor, for the first film at least. The film is built to slowly increase the fear of this particular dino until it’s finally revealed around 100 minutes(!) in.

The opening death scene > the raptor dig and scaring the kid > the raptor hatching > feeding the cow > clever girl > maintenance shed > incredible kitchen scene > ending.

The T-Rex only makes a couple of appearances and actually saves them all at the end.

Yeah you are probably right.

What do Jurassic Park and Top Gun: Maverick have in common? 

Flying dinosaurs! 

No, Tom Cruise jokes aside, they both have a solid hour at least of character development before putting them in the thick of the action. Decent scriptwriters understand you have to build tension, make the audience care about your leads, and if you're making a monster movie, you have to give the creatures traits and characteristics that make them inspire fear. 

Flinging idiots into a CGI meat grinder does not a good adventure movie make. 

2 hours ago, Papilio said:

For me...

1. Jurassic Park 

2. Lost World

3. Jurassic Park 3

4. Jurassic World 

5. Fallen Kingdom 

6. Dominion.

1. Jurassic Park 

2. Lost World

3. Jurassic Park 3

4. Jurassic World 

5. Fallen Kingdom 

6. Dominion

Or the 'is Crisp Ratt in it?' factor?

People have an irrational hatred for Lost World because it's not as as good as Jurassic Park and also Emmerich's Godzilla because it wasn't really Godzilla, both are great watchable blockbusters though with some fantastic directing and cgi. Some great night time heavy rain stuff.

It's been over 20 years, I think people should let go of their hatred for the 1998 Godzilla, below Rampage, World, Dominion??! come on. It's great. This is a hill I'm willing to die on yes. 

If I’m having to sit through 146 minutes of this, I was expecting at least some sense of jeopardy. The whole thing is so utterly predictable. Goldblum cracks a few pithy reports and the new addition to the main cast was decent. 

I know that you have to suspend belief when you’re watching a film about dinosaurs in the modern world but 

Spoiler

Chris Pratt lassoing a much larger dinosaur by use of horse and unbreakable rope was guff. As was his continued, stupid Velociraptor gang sign in use yet again. 

I know I’m overthinking it, but Howard not being eaten as she goes underwater and two of them unscathed after a plane crash…

Dumb. 

9 hours ago, Treble said:

I would put Fallen Kingdom in my top twenty worst films ever watched. Genuinely and truly, unwatchably, ruiniously awful.

It did have Toby Jones and his comedy teeth. That alone puts it way above this dumpster fire.

And the cost of buying a FUCKING DINOSAUR being the same as a one bedroom flat in London will always tickle me, hopefully into old age while civilization crumbles I'll have that timeless stupidity of writing to cheer me up. 

12 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

And the cost of buying a FUCKING DINOSAUR being the same as a one bedroom flat in London will always tickle me, hopefully into old age while civilization crumbles I'll have that timeless stupidity of writing to cheer me up. 

You'd probably be happier living in a Dinosaur than a one bedroom flat in London.

11 hours ago, Papilio said:

It was a train wreck imo.

Firstly, it's a rare talent to make action sequences boring. But they ticked that box big time. 

Secondly a lot of the CGI was ropey. Which is pretty inexcusable given the budget. 

I felt it was overly saturated with dinosaurs, even for a film about them. A lot of them were hybrid things, because apparently T rex and raptors aren't really all that interesting anymore. The stamina they attributed to some of the dinosaurs in one of the chase scenes was ridiculous, no animal could maintain a chase of that speed and duration. I appreciate they want to make them impressive and frightening but it just came off as unbelievable to me. 

Bitterly disappointed all in. Waste of time and money. 

What hybrid dinosaurs are you talking about? I don’t recall any being in it.

31 minutes ago, Isaac said:

How is Chris Pratt so unlikeable and uncharismatic in this?

What a fall from grace.

If I never see him doing that holding his hand out while looking constipated thing again it will be too soon. It was passable in the first one but my eyes were rolling every time he did it in this. The only way I would watch Jurassic World 4 was if it was 30 seconds long and consisted of Chris Pratt doing the holding his palm out thing, Watto appearing and saying "What? You think you're some kind of Jedi waving your hand around like that? That's a fucking Dinosaur! It will rip your face off in a split second!"

Then the Dinosaur rips the smug cunts face off.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

They’re all real dinosaurs, they just chose the real ones with the stupidest names.

I know they’re all real dinosaurs, I was trying to work out why the poster thought they were hybrids.

26 minutes ago, Gambit said:

How much do I have to care about "Blue" in this? I found it a real challenge in previous films.

Spoiler

blue isnt in it that much ...... but baby Blue / clone girl is the main drive of the owen/clare storyline

8 hours ago, Isaac said:

How is Chris Pratt so unlikeable and uncharismatic in this?

What a fall from grace.

He is playing an American MAN, who can control dinos with his ALPHA MANLINESS and UNDERSTAND OF WILD ANIMALS BECAUSE HE IS A WILD ANIMAL too that CAN'T BE TAMED. He RIDES MOTORCYCLES and LASSOES dinosaurs because HE IS A MAN BUT ALSO A WILD ANIMAL.

Dinosaurs RESPECT HIM because HE IS SO MANLY.

It makes Chuck Norris depictions look tame.